All things Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hEARt PhoniX, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I'm no expert but The Hades set will be the go to on the 70's and from what I have sampled on The Purple box, no question these will be the ones I listen to.

2. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

Are the Virgin Years boxes the mid 90s masters? Those are maligned, no?

3. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

I don't know if they're the 90s remasters. However, most of the 90s remasters I have (Encore, Tangram, White Eagle, Logos and Hyperborea) sound quite good (Encore is actually kinda weak). They're a little compressed but not excessive by a long shot.

Regards,
    Dave

klockwerk likes this.
  4. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory Thread Starter

The masterings of the new box sets are 100% my go to versions right now. I won't get rid of the old box sets, though, there are some minor things not on the new box, such as 7'' versions, the radio adverts. Not groundbreaking by all means, hardly essential, but as I already had them ...
    Anyone who thought it was a great idea to create TD 7'' has to cope with my astonishment. If I was in need of an example for a non-singles band, TD would be it.

Maurice and uzn007 like this.
  5. Deibu

Hehehe, I agree. Whoever thought it was a good idea to use a small excerpt of an LP side length track as a single needs their head checked.

Regards,
    Dave

6. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Very fond of Three O’Clock High, although a number of their cues were replaced with music by Sylvester Levay (who did a very good TD impersonation!)

klockwerk likes this.
  7. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Anything for fans of the Thief soundtrack?

Roberto899 and Beamish13 like this.
  8. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

it’s great, but not on the same tier as Sorcerer (which legitimately changed cinema forever) or The Keep

DJ LX likes this.
  9. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I love it.

klockwerk and uzn007 like this.
  10. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best or preferred pressing of the Zeit album?

11. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Same question here. There is some but little on these Virgin Years sets which is not in the Hades and Pilots boxes and the latter sound better. The splitting of the albums across the CDs in the Virgin Years sets has always kind of bothered me. However, for handiness and that they are easily accessible where I sit and work - I think I'll hold on to mine! They match the Edgar Froese Solo Virgin Years 1974-1983 CD set on the shelf if nothing else!

uzn007 likes this.
  12. Deibu

I love Thief! Awesome electronic rock. I look forward to listening to the Pilots remaster. I tried watching the movie, but couldn't get past the first half hour.

Regards,
    Dave

13. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Me too. One of my earliest faves and still a favorite.

Roberto899 likes this.
  14. hEARt PhoniX

I notice TD fans are a diverse bunch, but the band does encourage that, as diverse as their output is. I have now listened to Tangram, Thief and Exit, all three have not yet done much for me. But the Dominion concert disk 1 is great.

BUT
    I stumbled upon videos from this year's Edgar Froese Memorial Day, at Barbican Library, London, January 24 2020. I would have loved to have visited the exhibition, I loved that library when I spent a few months in London 1996/97.
    TD Unplugged!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    caravan70, dcscott and DaveinMA like this.
  15. hEARt PhoniX

16. hEARt PhoniX

17. hEARt PhoniX

18. hEARt PhoniX

19. hEARt PhoniX

20. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

21. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

I would like to see sonic upgrades of Edgar Froese's Aqua & Epsilon In Malaysian Pale CDs. (they are in the style of Phaedra & Rubicon). My favorite period
    TD.

22. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Those Barbican acoustic tracks are really cool. Reading the comments I have just learned that Paul Frick has joined the band.

LivingForever and uzn007 like this.
  23. hEARt PhoniX

Yes, he has. He was also a guest at Behind Closed Doors.
    Thorsten Quaeschning
    Kudos to the one who manages to really listen to all that output!

(Sorry, this interview is German only)

TANGERINE DREAM

24. hEARt PhoniX

Just found that this Grenzwellen Tangerine Deam special at YT, which means I can share it with you. I remember listening to it while walking through the cold city, excited to hear more about the new incarnation.
    Again sorry to disappoint, German only.

25. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I wish we can hear a reconciled and remastered Blue Years boxset with all the live ones of these days.

Le Parc is a very nice album but very unequal on SQ from one track to another. Streethawk sounding like it has been mastered from a lower generation tape.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020