All things Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hEARt PhoniX, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Cool little piece from Ulrich

GordonM, soundQman and Jaar21 like this.
  2. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

... indeed!

I posted a brilliant one too a few pages back but might have gone totally unnoticed ...
    Might as well give it another chance!

15 mn' Schnauss [July 3rd 2014] London
    Don't be put off by the arty visual interference effect at the beginning- it does not last...

3. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory Thread Starter

Ah that one. I know that I have played it. But I guess today I enjoy it more as I am opening up to Schnauss.

4. hEARt PhoniX

The big A.R. Machines has arrived.
    Only listened to Die Grüne Reise so far (at least properly), but enjoyed that one a lot, again.

And @Jaar21 you are right, this is an exemplary box set, very well done. I am sure that it will bring me a lot of enduring joy.

What I love so much about such box sets is that they give me the chance to systematically explore a discography, an aspect of a discography and / or career or one specific album.
    Here I get the feeling that he put a lot of love and care into this box, which must have been quite an endeavor for him, as he does have an audience (I regard him mainly as a Northern German artist), and this is niche even within his catalogue. An important niche, but ...

I am looking forward to when I get to the Froese colab.

For now I especially loved Wahrheit und Wahrscheimlichkeit (Ein Lexikon zur Selbsterkenntnis). What a fun track. It radiates the joy of creation.

All in all I am enjoying first exploring Die Grüne Reise. One after the other.

This is also what I love so much about the two big Virgin TD box sets: I can hand myself over to that exciting and calming feeling to have a lot to discover for a long tine, that there is no beed for pressure and haste. I am still not through any of them, but again and again going forward exploring.
    Cyclone, for example.
    And now that I am beginning to have explored the original Phaedra more than just it's surface, I feel becoming ready for the remix and the outtakes.

Die Grüne Reise alone is such a wonderful album, I am very happy to now have it in it's probably definite form.

reapers and Jaar21 like this.
  5. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: AR & Machines box set

... that's all great news! (the book inside, makes for a great read too.)

You pbbly know this but Eno's Another Green World was a nod twds Die Grüne Reise. And Schulze's Another Green Mile a nod twds Eno's album ... one of the least interesting info in the thread since none of these albums has anything to do with any of the other 2 !! At least musicians who appreciated each other!

And btw, just received that Behind Closed Doors stick and ... at long last a new PC...! And no more box set news hopefully before the end of the year!!

hEARt PhoniX likes this.
  6. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Great...another artist that I have to start collecting...:agree:
    Streaming Ulrich's Destiny Waiving now and liking it!

Jaar21 likes this.
  7. Roberto899

I posted a brilliant one too a few pages back but might have gone totally unnoticed ...
    Might as well give it another chance!

15 mn' Schnauss [July 3rd 2014] London
    Don't be put off by the arty visual interference effect at the beginning- it does not last...

/QUOTE]

That was cool.
    I'm not sure, but this seems to be part of the same set. Although he has a different shirt on so who knows.

Jaar21 likes this.
  8. hEARt PhoniX

I took that as a reason to stream it too and liked it more than I thought, though I am not drawn into it.

9. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Schnauss / Schmölling / collabs

However much I like Schnauss' solo albums, I must admit that I am a lot less enthusiastic when it comes to his collaborations, whether it be with Mark Peters or Jonas Munk, with the very exception of the excellent one with Quaeschning. All that makes his solo albums so special- ie/ that complexe and spectral multi-layered whoosh- that rich and pretty unique way of architecturing his compositions (a trademark) is totally absent from these rather threadbare and IMHO blend collabs.
    Very much the same with Schmölling- 1st SAW i thought was just ... so, so (...!) As for the Loom project, I (maybe wrongly) did not even try...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  10. hEARt PhoniX

WTF ...
    I have just found that Thorsten Quaeschning and Bruno Kramm have done an online colab some years ago!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FB_7SQpsSe4
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0z4Yo6_WGtc
    This is still awaiting a proper release ...

Das Ich (Bruno Kramm / Stefan Ackermann) have been an immensely important band when their 1991 debut album "Die Propheten" and the follow-up "Staub" hit the market and I still love their the literary approach, as well as their literary interpretations of Georg Trakl or the film soundtrack Das Innere Ich (usually on the lower end in polls, for me among their best) or the Gottfried Benn poems mini album. Today I especially think Staub is their mist ambitious masterpiece, which basically is an album accusing us of destroying the earth, and I am still fascinated by some of the lyrical images and metaphors they have found for that along with dark, creative but dancable soundscapes. They have been touring a lot internationally, they also seem to have a dedicated following in the USA.
    Unfortunately lyricist and vocalist Stefan Ackermann suffered severe health problems in 2001 and except from a few live gigs they have not done much musically since as far as I know.
    Bruno Kramm also owns and runs a label (Danse Macabre) and has been politically active for The Greens, Die Piraten and is currently working on the interesting intersection of music, composition and artificial intelligence.

11. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

... great to have a PC again!

[​IMG]

12. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: KW

Bearing in mind the latest news coming from the US concerning Kanye West ... will never mention his name ever again in this thread, even as a joke!

13. Lightform

Lightform Forum Resident

Not seen that one before!

Jaar21 likes this.
  14. hEARt PhoniX

Listening logbook for this weekebd:
    A.R & Machines: Die Grüne Reise, Echo - Invitation
    Ulrich Schnauss / Mark Peters: Destiny Waiving
    Thorsten Quaeschning / Bruno Kramm (not yet complete)
    A. R. & Machines: Echo - Invitation
    Cluster: Cluster 71
    Tangerine Dream: Phaedra
    Tangerine Dream: Quantum Gate

Norco74 likes this.
  15. Roberto899

One last one from Ulrich.

GordonM and Jaar21 like this.
  16. 24db

24db Forum Resident

The updated version three of HANDLE WITH CARE - A LIST OF TANGERINE DREAM'S STAGE & STUDIO EQUIPMENT (1968-2023) will be available spring of next year. PDF with a minimum of 390 pages.
    Updated sections (so far): Reims 1974, Australia 1982

hEARt PhoniX and Jaar21 like this.
  17. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: 2011

20 yrs on ... the year TD stepped up the pace- The Silver Boots of Bartlett Green (The Angel of the West Window) from the Sonic Poems Series* with hints in the 1st three minutes of a potential James Bond theme (?)!!

* a personal opinion on the series- great series of 4 albums- a renaissance of sorts, almost immaculate. What stroke me this time around is the sense of urgency, which is permeating the entire series, as if Froese knew that he was on borrowed time- urgency and pathos (very much like The Silver Boots of Bartlett Green)- some of the tracks have a draft-like feel to them like musical sketches which makes the whole enterprise IMO pretty unique.

[​IMG]

18. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Yamane / Paris Fashion Week

Composed music that she played live for the fashion show Beautiful People (Spring/Summer 2023 at Paris Collection / Fashion Week)
    I believe this took place in October... as usual with Yamane great stuff!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    Norco74 likes this.
  19. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Yamane / Alex Katz Exhibition / Guggenheim- New York

She has contributed brilliantly too to the Alex Katz Exhibition soundtrack by composing a very playful and Froesian track: Cat in the Water!! The nod is as always with Yamane twds the Ohr / early Virgin Years- Aqua and Macula Transfer obviously come to mind (which confirms the essential role, not only as a violinist she has played in recent years in her collaborative albums- Mujo / Nakaniwa ...).

That great track is in the following link:

Alex Katz: Gathering | The Guggenheim Museums and Foundation

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  20. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

...:):):):):shake:!
    in my post on The Silver Boots of Bartlett Green, you will obviously have read struck me and not stroke/d me!! Should not be a freudian slip either...!!

21. Mooglander

Mooglander Forum Resident

It's alright. I know you were listening to Billy Squier earlier. :righton:

Jaar21 likes this.
  22. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I probably have written that lots of times as well.
    Let's call it poetic licence

Jaar21 likes this.
  23. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Strange, what is this ?
    [​IMG]

It is only on my iPad, on the computor I can see the youtube window

24. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

It means "never trust Apple products." :D

Regards,
    Dave