All things Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hEARt PhoniX, Nov 4, 2020.

1. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

You will get some disagreement on this. I think Thief was their best OST, Sorcerer is excellent, and The Keep is at best worth having. Three O'Clock High is underrated.

Roberto899 and Beamish13 like this.
  2. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

Curious. What version of Le Parc do you have? I have the original Relativity CD release and the SQ is consistent.

Regards,
    Dave

3. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

So I was watching Pink Floyd's Reverber/Ation blu-ray from the early years set and spoted some very familiar faces at 5:24.

4. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I have the Canadian vinyl and the Castle 200o version. Following your query, I replayed the CD and only the Streethawk track SQ differs from the rest of the album. And Yes, the SQ of the remaining tracks are consistent. A remaster would be welcomed as Le Parc is an excellent album.

5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Just purchased the soundtrack to Thief. Really love it although Confrontation isn't on this cd.

Not wanting to pay what people are asking for the version with Confrontation on it.

Jupitermadcat likes this.
  6. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

Just bought the Shy People soundtrack. Never heard of the movie, and no one recommends the soundtrack, but HUZZAH! Why not.

7. Deibu

Yeah. The movie is actually pretty good. It's never been on home video, just happened to catch it on cable. Don't care much for the vocal tunes on the album though.

Regards,
    Dave

8. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory Thread Starter

OT not OT
    It's interesting that mainly instrumental musicians seem to be a bit controversial when turning to vocals. YD, Klaus Schulze, The Orb ...
    Though I can say I am actually getting used to The Orb with vocals. Still need to try the others mentioned.

caravan70 likes this.
  9. Norco74

Not a fan of Klaus Schulze with extended vocals.

10. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I once saw a CD in a record store of a "Rubycon remix" that looked interesting. Unfortunately, the CD (I assume a CD-R) wouldn't play in the store's CD player so I left it behind. Has anyone ever seen this? I assume it's an unofficial, unauthorized remix, but it could be interesting.

11. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

I believe that Streethawk sounds bad on all versions of Le Parc. Sounds like it’s been recorded off the TV.

realmdemagic and Norco74 like this.
  12. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

They seem to have so many releases. I find it difficult to keep up so hopefully this thread will help me keep TD organized in my tiny little brain. Thanks for starting this thread.

13. Norco74

Yes Rubycon-The Classic Extension checked all of the mentioned aboved. Extended to 60:17. It was made and distributed by a fan, limited to 50 copies IIRC.

A similar exercise was also made with Stratosfear and Phaedra. Probably available on Ytube. Interesting listening but will never beat the original IMO.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    klockwerk likes this.
  14. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Was it actually remixed? Or just "extended"?

15. Norco74

If you mean remixed like going back to the original tracks, most likely the answer is no.

Probably a very clever Audigy extended job, working the piece block by block, originally transfered from a CD. As remaster, the word remix is use freely and often have many meanings.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  16. Norco74

And here what Voice-in-the-net say about the official releases:

Rubycon, Part One
    There are several official versions of this composition:
    • the original studio recording from 1975 (and several excerpts of it)
    • a remix from 1994
    • a short live recording from 2005
    • two different remixes from 2010
    • three live recordings from 2010 and 2014, respectively
    • a studio re-recording from 2016
    • a live recording from 2016, based on the studio recording of the same year

uzn007 likes this.
  17. humanracer

Confrontation is an amazing track but it's not TD. It's by Craig Safan.

tommy-thewho likes this.
  18. humanracer

One of my favourite early 80s TD tracks, Horns of Doom. Very upbeat melody.

hEARt PhoniX and Deibu like this.
  19. Deibu

Awesome track! It originated from early 80s concerts. It's a shame it never got a wide release.

Regards,
    Dave

uzn007 likes this.
  20. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory Thread Starter

Really cool track. Sounds more like a Froese Loopstation production to me, at least today it woukd be. But I do like it.
    It's a pitty it seems to be so rare.
    As of the YT comments parts can be found in other pieces, though. Wow, documenting that would be another unthankful pile of work.

21. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Always loved 'Horizon' from their mid-80s Warsaw concert. Can always tell when Schmoelling starts playing :)

klockwerk, couchguy and proedros like this.
  22. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

I have THE KEEP on laserdisc and I love it. Why was there never a soundtrack that encompasses the actual music used in the film ?

23. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Good spot!

Makes me feel like I need a cigarette myself & I don't smoke!

24. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Love a bit of Dream, was listening at the weekend actually. But Rubycon and Tangram are my start and end points. As with lots of artists, I lose interest once the 80's kick in.

caravan70 and hEARt PhoniX like this.
  25. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

This colour is called Tangerine Scream. I was in a Ford showroom a couple of years ago and I said to the lad that I thought it was quite clever what they'd done there. He had no idea what I was on about. Young uns, eh?

caravan70 and LivingForever like this.