All things Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hEARt PhoniX, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: TD French book / Les visiteurs du son Emannuel Saint-Bonnet

Thin book- mostly factual and based on Froese’s autobiography- of little interest for experienced listeners and fans. Analysis: zilch!

Hardly learnt anything except for the following (but often unsubstantiated):

P34 RE: Baumann ie/ Zeit- “Le nouveau line-up de TD fait appel… sur une idee de PB, a un quatuor de violoncellistes de Cologne..”
    (PB at the origin of the cello quartet on Zeit- interesting but unsubstantiated )

P59 RE: Hoenig “… le site Hype Media rapporte qu’Edgar Froese, lorsqu’il embauche Chris Franke, est aussi interesse par le jeu de Michael Hoenig, mais qu’entre-temps il avait engage Steve Schroyder. Ce qui a sans doute change la face de la kosmische music!
    (MH considered by Froese when Franke joined in but Steve Schroyder had already been approached. Saint-Bonnet reckons this would have changed the course of KM)

P63 RE: Reims- Baumann enjoyed the Reims experience not Froese

P84 RE: JolliffeRising Runner Missed By Endless Sender est une creation de Jolliffe sur laquelle sont greffees des parties de basse et de percussions de Franke et Kruger.”
    Rising Runner Missed By Endless Sender- a Jolliffe’s composition on which Franke and Kruger added bass lines and percussion.

P96 RE: Schmoelling years- Robert Wilson un auteur que lui (Froese) avait presente George Moorse, le realisateur de Vampyra
    George Moorse
    (Vampyra) introduced Robert Wilson to Froese (which is how Froese came across Schmoelling recommended to him by Eduard Meyer)

P97 RE: SchmoellingSchmoelling … participe aux dernieres sessions de Force Majeure. On lui doit notamment certains collages sonores sur Thru Metamorphic Rocks
    The most surprising to me of them all so far … Schmoelling contributed to the Force Majeure sessions. We (would?) owe him some sound collage on Thru Metamorphic Rocks .

P106 RE: Baumann- Haunted Heights- “Un titre qui aurait du etre incorpore a Desert Dream sur Encore, mais refuse par Froese et Franke
    Baumann’s Haunted Heights was to be included on Desert Dream (Encore) but was turned down by Froese and Franke

… not quite finished the book yet- might come up with another batch of oddities …

Last edited: May 5, 2023
  2. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@DaveinMA

RE: Thru Metamorphic Rocks

Good question!! Well known story but might pass the hot potato on to someone in the thread better qualified to explain the glitch .. especially that my copy of Froese's autobiography is in a carboard box due to imminent moving ...:). If I remember, the sequence is sort of blown apart by some malfunctioning with the mixing desk- and the result is totally brilliant!!
    As for the Le Botanique Orangerie Session can't quite remember ...

3. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: TD in Geneva / Tonight / + Étienne de Crécy

Friday, 5 May 2023 20:00
    Grand Théâtre de Genève

"Electronic projects on all floors of the Grand Théâtre, anyone? Well, we did it for you. And it starts with the exceptional concert of the German pioneers of the genre, Tangerine Dream, a cult group that has marked the history of electronic music with no less than a hundred albums. This event in itself will be followed by the 100% vinyl DJ set of another mastodon of the electronic sphere, Étienne de Crécy, cornerstone of the French Touch under the name of Motorbass with his colleague Philippe Zdar, who died in 2019 ..."

[​IMG]

4. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: TD Botanique Orangerie Session 2022 / YouTube vs Bandcamp ?

Have not compared them yet but IMO big difference concerning the previous release- Silent Green Session 2022 (Berlin Krake Festival); IMHO YT version miles better than BC!

Last edited: May 5, 2023
  5. Csquare4x

Csquare4x Well-Known Member

Curiosity of the day (for me anyway...)

I was recently cataloguing my entire TD vinyl collection using Discogs to include information related to various releases, countries, labels, matrix numbers and any unique identifiers that make a particular pressing different, such as lacquer cut master engineers, press plants, etc.

I came across this entry for an early UK pressing (maybe first?):
    Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear

Notes
    Laminated gatefold cover. Sleeve is sealed on the dead flap with a fold

UK issue, cut by Sonopress in Germany (hence the Ariola Germany codes in the matrix).

This version carries the dual pressing plant matrix codes and has the etched text Side A "For best results play at 25RPM", Side B "I won't scratch yours if you don't scratch mine" different to Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear which does not carry the text

This is reportedly the original Sonopress version

Nick Mason of Pink Floyd did the original mix of Stratosfear in April 1976 at Hansa by the Wall. Due to disputes between Tangerine Dream and Virgin, this mix was abandoned. If you actually slow the vinyl down to 25 RPM you get a feel of this mix as TD originally intended, they speeded up the mix to get around the Virgin dispute leaving a small clue on early pressings of this version. There are interpretations of what this may sound like, with a mix of slow and faster sections

Barcode and Other Identifiers
    • Matrix / Runout (A SIDE stamped): V2068 A5 28146 A-1/76S
    • Matrix / Runout (B SIDE stamped): V2068 B5 28146 B-1/76S
    • Matrix / Runout (A side Etched): "For best results play at 25RPM"
    • Matrix / Runout (B Side Etched): "I won't scratch yours if you don't scratch mine"
    • Matrix / Runout (A side Etched): xxxxx & 044
    So curiosity got the better of me and I was intrigued. As I have no way to play vinyl at 25 RPM, I cheated and took my ripped .wav file into Audacity and converted it using the speed change effect (at a 0.75 multiplier) to simulate the speed. Having listened to it, I don't know if this was a joke from the guy that cut the lacquer, but this sounds really good! Much more low end (as you would expect from slowing it down) and listening with a 2.1 setup, I really like this version. Will it replace the original? Of course not. But as a bit of a novelty, it is something I will return to for the different experience.

Just thought I would throw that out there and see if any others have tried this...

Cheers!

reapers, soundQman and Mooglander like this.
  6. Mooglander

Mooglander Forum Resident

I'll try that on YouTube, slowing it down a little. I love "Stratosfear" (title) as is, it's one of my fav-o-rite things, but I'm always keen to hear different and unusual at least once.

Tangerine Dream – Stratosfear (1976, Sonopress, Vinyl) - Discogs

Commentary by MB-Fisher under that pressing:

I have since tested this album at 25RPM, (I use a Linn Sondeck so not easy and was not spot on) and all I can say is WOW absolutely brilliant. It was not perfect, (speed not exactly 25Rpm), but the sound and stereo separation were fantastic on Invisible Limits for example. Odd to hear it slower after 46 years of 33RPM but I'd like to hear it properly done. This music works on all fronts slower or at 33RPM, so there could be some truth in the runout etching "For best results play at 25RPM" ?

ArpMoog and Csquare4x like this.
  7. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

TD / A38 Concert Interview / 2017 / Schnauss / Quaeschning

Interview at the time of Sessions #1 2017- concert in Budapest

... already feels like a long time ago ...!

Last edited: May 7, 2023
  8. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

I just listened to Dream Roots disc 5 again. I still stand by my words. "Beach Bay Bunker" and "Red Morpho" are nice but still blah, and don't even sound like they're from the mid '80s. They'd be at home on any late-1990s TDI release.

"Valley Of The Sun" and "Vanishing Blue" are superb. The latter would've been a great addition to Underwater Sunlight.

Regards,
    Dave

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    TheOrangeSauce likes this.
  9. Mooglander

It's been 26.5 years since Dream Roots was released, and CD5 remains the reason any of us keep it on the shelf. That's all I'm sayin'!

10. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Frick / Grand Turn

The ever so eclectic Paul Frick has sent Grand Turn (Thibault Kuhlmann and Guillaume Jaulin) a crazy synth video for their Escape “solo challenge” and made a sort of « Ghetto Techno » remix (!!) of the track Escape. It’ll be released on all DSP platforms May 12th 2023 ... :):):)

... heard a snippet on Instagram...

11. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

12. 24db

24db Forum Resident

Shame that the planned rail strike will prevent many (including me) from attending this

13. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@24db

...:confused:! Forgot about this ...

... might go to the Paris date in July instead ... (?)- if the French are not setting Paris on fire! After TD at La Gaite Lyrique on May 20th and Nicolas Jaar on June 5th at Trianon ... that's going to be a lot of costly yoyoing between London and Paris ...

[​IMG]

14. 24db

24db Forum Resident

15. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

16. Mooglander

That's the best interview with a TD alumnus that I've read in a while. Those are some great photos in there and loads of good info.

Now I know the Jupiter-6 was Ralf's, which was barely used, as the album was nearly done by the time he joined.

I like this tidbit. ;)

Costello:
    When something new came out, did Edgar stock up on it right away?

Ralf:
    Not without criticism the latest, because I remember, sometime a few years later I had this Yamaha SY99. Edgar "only" had the SY77 and borrowed my device, but then after a few days I thought, that doesn't bring me enough progress now, I don't need it. So it wasn't that he just had to have everything on principle, but of course a lot was chosen. It was enormous to have this amount of keyboards available at once. But I was a bit disappointed because they were standard devices. So nothing custom build, but devices that you can buy in any music store, including the sounds.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2023
    david gunderman likes this.
  17. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Wadephul interview

... yes, great interview- amusing portrait of the Exit Ghost whizz kid :)!!

18. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Botanique Orangerie Session / BC vs YT

Just wondering whether anyone has had the chance to compare the Bandcamp and YouTube versions ...?

19. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

"...And at some point in the middle of the concert, I don't remember where that was, there was a big bang. Everything went out because this transformer had burned out. "

Toronto. I was at that show. Edgar mentions it in his book too.

Mooglander likes this.
  20. 24db

24db Forum Resident

Pretty similar, although the drums have (to my ears) been toned down very slightly. However, as Thorsten's harddisks (64-channels) and recorded pre-fade, it has allowed him to turn up things you might not have noticed for a few bars (a bit of sampled percussion and a few melodies, nothing major - plus the usual stuttering vocal samples have gone, but there's a private reason for that). The changes are less obvious than in the Krake Festival recording. Overall I have to say that is now my favourite session. Highly recommended

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Jaar21 likes this.
  21. 24db

24db Forum Resident

UK tour added:

TANGERINE DREAM'S 2023 TOUR:

EUROPEAN TOUR

May 5th Electron Festival, Geneva/CH

May 17th Popodium, Tilburg/NL

May 18th Music Foundry, Maastricht/NL

May 19th Het Depot, Leuven/BE

May 20th La Gaite Lyric, Paris/FR

May 31st Horse, The Hague/NL

June 10th Tauron Nowa Muzyka, Katowice/PL

June 15th Casa de Cultura a Studentilor, Cluj Napoca/RO

NORTH AMERICAN TOUR

September 8 - Miami Beach Bandshell, Miami

September 11 - Orange Peel, Asheville

September 12 - Centre Stage, Atlanta

September 13 - Ferris Wheelers, Dallas

September 14 - Empire Garage, Austin

September 16 - El Ray, Albuquerque

September 18 - Magnolia, El Cajon

September 19 - The Vermont, Los Angeles

September 20 - Regency Ballroom, San Francisco

September 22 - Revolution Hall, Portland

September 24 - Rickshaw Theatre, Vancouver

September 25 - The Neptune, Seattle

September 27 - Keswick Theatre, Glenside, Pennsylvania

September 29 - Lincoln Theatre, Washington

September 30 - Knockdown Centre, New York

October 1 - Olympia - Pop Montreal, Montreal

October 3 - Opera House, Toronto

October 5 - Metro, Chicago

GERMAN TOUR

October 10th Gewandhaus, Großer Saal, Leipzig/DE

October 12th Rheingoldhalle, Mainz/DE

October 14th Lokschuppen, Bielefeld/DE

October 16th Theater am Aegi, Hannover/DE

October 17th Metropol Theater, Bremen/DE

October 18th Admiralspalast, Berlin/DE

October 20th Tollhaus, Karlsruhe/DE

October 21st Neue Gebläsehalle, Neunkirchen/Saar/DE

October 22nd Osnabrückhalle, Europa Saal, Osnabrück/DE

October 24th Lichtburg, Essen/DE

October 25th Theaterhaus am Pragsattel, Stuttgart/DE

October 26th Hamburg, Laeiszhalle, Großer Saal, Hamburg/DE

October 28th Isarphilharmonie, München/DE

UK TOUR

November 5th De La Warr, Bexhill/England

November 6th Guildhall, Portsmouth/England

November 8th Palladium, London/England

November 9th Brudenell Social Club, Leeds/England

November 10th Albert Hall, Manchester/England

November 11th HH Prog Festival, Great Yarmouth/England

November 12th Boiler Shop, Newcastle/England

November 13th St Lukes, Glasgow/Scotland

November 14th Queen's Hall, Edinburgh/Scotland

Jaar21 likes this.
  22. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

... ambitious tour... this is when the sessions are probably going to feel like a much needed outlet ... :) ?!!

23. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@24db

RE: Botanique Orangerie 22

... agreed, favourite session here too. Will listen to both versions soon- pbbly tonight. Shame about the vocal samples ... can't quite remember what it brought to the track but at the time I thought it was spot on- off the hinges sort of thing ... would have been nice to have it released as a proper Session ... / The Sessions VIII ... (+ Krake Festival Berlin ...). IMHO miles better than the Polish dates.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  24. Mooglander

Rare CD alert!

For anyone who still needs the Manikin pressing of Macula Transfer, there's currently a copy for sale (not cheap), but the seller's feedback rating doesn't inspire confidence. Proceed with caution.

- Macula Transfer (1976 Germany LP mix) - Amazon.com Music

(There was also a copy on Discogs, but it's already been snapped up!)

25. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: BBF / London / Jazz Cafe

... will be very complicated to make it this Saturday due to strike which is fair enough but nonsensical car park hours (closing at 23.00!)
    Great bill ... BBF + Akusmi

https://youtu.be/qmG4Ucu30mY