All things Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hEARt PhoniX, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Csquare4x

Csquare4x Well-Known Member

I would be very cautious, there is not enough info in the listing to decide whether this is the counterfeit Russian version. Plus, as you said, rather spendy...but nothing like the original Manikin was going for a few years ago!

2. Mooglander

Mooglander Forum Resident

:eek: No kidding? What was it trading for a few years back?

3. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Schmoelling's Crossing Pont de Normandie (Iter Meum)

The bridge that inspired one of Iter Meum's better tracks (IMHO)- Crossing Pont de Normandie.

[​IMG]

... brief track but colourful and elegantly put together, at least that's what I think ...

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Mooglander likes this.
  4. Csquare4x

Csquare4x Well-Known Member

10 or so years ago it was selling on discogs for north of $300! I was tempted to put mine up and likely should have lol.

Mooglander likes this.
  5. Mooglander

No can do, one mustn't interrupt that run of excellence by Edgar!

Csquare4x likes this.
  6. Mooglander

@Csquare4x

What's that smell, you ask? FISH!!

This seller "BaraBaraEU" is obviously crooked. They've also listed a "new" copy (yeah, right) of the One Way reissue of Trevor Rabin's Wolf — for the same price of $111.

Rabin, Trevor - Wolf - Amazon.com Music

[​IMG]

Csquare4x likes this.
  7. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@24db

RE: Botanique Orangerie 22 / BC vs initial YT version

Have now listened to both versions and as you said changes are nowhere near as obvious as on the Silent Green Session (Berlin) (btw, have listened to both Berlin versions again and if you ask me I do honestly think the Bandcamp one is a bit of a disaster...). RE: Botanique Orangerie 22 (BC)- the sound quality is this time excellent- feels maybe at times a little "ironed out"... (lost a little of its zaniness- ie/ VCS3 type effects). Shame the stuttering voice is gone- added a dystopic Hal-gone-bonkers touch :)!! Some specific higher frequency sounds really do "sparkle" ie/ Frick’s fab piano work at around 25.00- seems to be a little more to the fore in the mix too- a great thing, so is the Parmegiani-like cluster of chime sounds at around 20.00 mns.
    In the top league of all the Frick Sessions with ... (obviously v. subjective): Brighton / Edinburgh / Bristol / The Roundhouse- London, Southampton ... and Berlin.

However much I liked the Schnauss ones (1 to 5 are near perfect), I would say the Frick Sessions have a touch more warmth and soul- Yamane's contributions are out of this world too- some of these intros where she takes the lead are among the best music the band have ever produced. Will be interesting to see how these sessions evolve. St Luke's Session 23 (Glasgow- one of the last dates at the end of this Dream-athon) might sound very different from St Luke's 22... (TD late 75 concerts were drastically different from early 74, technology was probably moving a lot faster too...?)

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  8. 24db

24db Forum Resident

9. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory Thread Starter

Phew.
    Now I have been away for a few days & a new session has appeared.
    Is there a pattern emerging, Sessions for bandcamp days? Just whishful thinking, I know.
    Listening will need to wait a while though ...

10. 24db

24db Forum Resident

Thorsten interviewed on LAweekly.com:

Tangerine Dream is Ever Evolving: While Kraftwerk are often, quite rightly, credited with being electronic music pioneers, fellow Germans Tangerine Dream formed in 1967, a full three years before Kraftwerk. It’s not a competition, but it is amazing when considering just how long ago these guys were pushing boundaries. Particularly in the ’80s, their music could be heard on movies such as Firestarter and Legend, and TV shows like Street Hawk.

The lineup of Tangerine Dream is ever evolving. Band leader Thorsten Quaeschning, for example, only joined in 2004. No current members of the group were in Tangerine Dream in the last millennium. Think of it as an orchestra.

“It’s an everlasting evolving and morphing process, learning from every note ever played and combining things that were explored and set as rules inside our microcosm,” Quaeschning says. “We are combining Synthesizer from all decades, hardware, modular, software to come as close to the sound, created in our heads and imaginations, as possible. Edgar Froese, the founder of Tangerine Dream that sadly passed away in 2015, had a very detailed vision of what Tangerine Dream should do, which scales we should use, there are even many rules when it comes to program step-sequencers, melodies and structures. The source should always be a deeper intention and emotion transferred to the computer, sequencer and instruments. Peter Baumann once said that the concept of Tangerine Dream is stronger than the single musician, a bigger sum of the parts, and that is why Tangerine Dream could live forever. Every single musician’s role was to be part of that concept and giving triggers out of their personal strengths.”

When it comes to the current state of electronic music, Quaeschning says that the term covers just about everything nowadays.

“We are not in the position to judge, and if music is connecting people, giving the chance to bundle the situation with the heard music, creating a personal memory and shared or even lonely important moment, it’s an undeniable good thing,” he says. “The variety is nearly infinite and there is so many inspiring, fresh sounding and clever music out there. It’s often hard to find, but on the other hand, in a world where everything is just a click away, the feeling to find some new or old music, that touches you on many levels, hearing music you instantly can connect with, music that triggers longing, sadness or warm confusion is a moment of luck.”

Tangerine Dream recently scored the Grand Theft Audio V game.

“Rockstar games asked Tangerine Dream, because they loved the soundtrack for the Michael Mann Movie Thief,” Quaeschning says. “We composed around 35 hours of music for the game. A interesting fact is, that beside the navigation system and fixed ‘scenes’ the game itself creates the mix, depending of the players position inside the game. The biggest challenge was to find the right balance of melodies vs. Atmosphere, because the time of each single players is very individual and differs between minutes to many hours.”

Looking ahead, Tangerine Dream has plenty planned for 2023.

“Last year we released our album Raum that we are very proud of and toured the UK extensively after its release,” Quaeschning says. “We just announced our North American Tour that will take place in September 2023, and is Tangerine Dreams most exciting North America Tour in over 30 years. Beside the US/CA Tour we will be playing many concerts in the UK, Germany, Netherlands, France, Switzerland, Romania, Hungary and perhaps Asia and South America. Our new album is roughly planned for 2024.”

Tangerine Dream is Ever Evolving: Tangerine Dream’s Raum is out now.

11. Can you see the real me

Can you see the real me Forum Resident

Christmas has come early - two dates in Scotland

Now I am spoilt for choice - or can I convince my other half to let me go to both!

12. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

For those of us who might not have been paying close enough attention, could you point to the youtube version that you're comparing it against?

13. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Lightform and DaveinMA like this.
  14. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@DaveinMA

RE: Berlin 22 / Krake Festival aka Silent Green Session

... the Bandcamp version makes me see red...!! IMO defaced. Shame, this was a beautiful session.
    Should be re-released properly with Botanique Orangerie as a proper Session (IX?). This would be a classy release (IMO the best Session of them all :)).

Last edited: May 10, 2023
  15. david gunderman

david gunderman ZosoDreamer

Thank you Andy

16. 24db

24db Forum Resident

use the promo code 'quantum' on the Edinburgh site and you can pre-order tickets TODAY (May 11) at 10.00am

17. 24db

24db Forum Resident

18. pory

pory Forum Resident

This finally arrived today. was a bit pricey to import, but it was worth it. Creeping up to be a favourite of mine from TD :righton::love:
    [​IMG]

Deibu, Jaar21 and Mooglander like this.
  19. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Silent Green Session 22 (Berlin Krake Festival) / Bandcamp ...

... I see that the Bandcamp release has now 2 versions !! Has it always been the case? Or is this a new "re-adjustment"...? (can't have been whinging all this time for nothing ...:)!)

▶︎ Silent Green Session 2022 | Tangerine Dream (bandcamp.com)

[​IMG]

... am listening for the umpteenth time to the Botanique Orangerie Session- the session of all sessions!!

Last edited: May 11, 2023
  20. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Haslinger / The Youtube Effect / July 7th

"one of the most satisfying collaborations I can remember" Haslinger

Collaborative work for a few tracks with DJ John Tejada- could be quite interesting! (on Node Records)

Last edited: May 11, 2023
  21. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

"...keep an ear out for our original soundtrack from Paul Haslinger, ex Tangerine Dream and all around maestro. It goes hard." Alex Winter (film director)

[​IMG]

22. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Haslinger (again) / Slow Burn from Undercover soundtrack

Rare video game soundtrack- subtle and quite beautiful.

23. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Perhaps! I am not sure if the remastered version was part of the original release. It was there some days ago when I did download the album.

Anyway, I like the very 70’s sinister mood intro.

At least you have the choice now!

24. 24db

24db Forum Resident

Afraid that might be down to me complaining that the original was a tad quiet, so Thorsten added a slightly louder version

Norco74 likes this.
  25. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

With + - 8% slider you could do this on a Technics sl 1200 easily. Can't wait to try it.
    One of my favorite TD records.

Mooglander likes this.