All things Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hEARt PhoniX, Nov 4, 2020.

1. 24db

24db Forum Resident

I wrote this in 2018 - it was old hat even then:

“Why are Tangerine Dream still Tangerine Dream in 2018”?

A personal opinion:

There are several reasons why I think Tangerine Dream should continue. Firstly ‘respect’: respect for Edgar’s last wish that the band should continue. Secondly ‘copyright’. The copyright holder – Edgar’s wife, Bianca gave her permission (everything was left to her in Edgar's will). It was also her deeply-felt wish that the band should continue, not just to complete Edgar’s vision for the group, but hopefully that a new generation would discover their ground-breaking music. Lastly ‘musically’; Thorsten was in the band since 2003; as an engineer – before joining the band onstage in 2005. He spent 6 to 9 months of every year living with Edgar in Vienna; everything he knows about electronic music (in his own words) comes from him. Thorsten is well-versed right in Edgar’s ideas, theory and scales, well beyond a superficial level - Edgar directly told the band members what he wanted to develop during the Quantum Years - and it's these instructions that Thorsten is carrying out. Ulrich has known Edgar since 2000? He knows TDs music well – apart from being a professional musician with a successful solo career. Hoshiko, like the rest was hand-picked by Edgar to join the band, he told me personally that she is one of the most amazing musicians he ever met, capable of memorising things instantly and then still being able to bring something new to the music. This is IMHO what makes this still TD, complete respect for Edgar (I flew out to Berlin in 2015 and 2016 and spoke to them directly about this, they deeply care about the music and Edgar’s legacy) the permission and validation of Edgar’s widow and the ability to create new material - not just covers, so in no way just a ‘tribute band’. Music produced within the parameters that Edgar defined. Thorsten said there are 9 albums of unreleased material that they ‘could’ work on - like ‘Quantum Gate’ and I for one look forward to the next release. Only these three musicians tick ALL three boxes - but in the end, it is down to ‘you’ to play their music and then decide if you like it, which is of course is the only reason why we started listening to them in the first place.

2. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Neuland (CD and BluRay too!)

Yes, often dark but organic and uplifting; an uncompromising forward looking double album full of experimental playfulness and elegance (2nd disc is IMHO even more impressive). And no Walkyrie like sequencing… just an invite to lose oneself in all its mind tickling nooks and crannies and to drift along its unpredictable meanders; there is a surprise around every corner; in that respect Neuland is I feel not that dissimilar in spirit to its prestigious ancestor Atem. As Electronic Sound Mag. put it, "featuring two heavyweights from TD's past, 80's member Paul Haslinger and 70's deity Peter Baumann, Neuland is a collaboration that will please anyone of an orange persuasion. The Dream Team". To me the best electronic album in 2019 (with The Seaside Stage Session- Quaeschning vs Frick- live @ Detmold Stadthalle). A vintage year for Haslinger who released the splendid Exit Ghost within a few weeks! Clearly two masters of the Berlin School let loose with their creativity in an incredibly modern setting and with seemingly no desire to look back on their glorious past but with that Baumann touch all over… I feel that the Kubrick-like visuals are equally brilliant (worth getting the DVD).

You might be interested in these 2 reviews:

Review: Tangerine Dream Alums' New Project, Neuland • Vehlinggo
    Neuland – “Neuland” | The PROG Mind

Haslinger:

"Peter thinks very melody driven, he always looks at the big picture, where as I am normally more interested in the architectural aspect of the music.” which might be casting an interesting light on their contributions to TD

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  3. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Well, I don't agree but also, I think the opinion that it isn't TD shouldn't be dismissed as invalid or regarded as blah blah blah.

Not to perpetuate the dialogue, I think that any suggestion the current band deserves to continue the name when it doesn't have any of the same members that it did in 1970 or 2004 really feels a bit fraudulent to me (even if EF was OK with me), irrespective of how good the intentions may be. They may care greatly about the legacy etc., but they had no hand in creating the vast majority of the legacy, and have as much input into the original work before they joined as Bill Zysblat does on a Bowie record. It's marketing a pre-existing brand and recognition for money. But that's my opinion, and it's as valid as anyone else's. I wish they'd use a different name, but they don't, so I exercise my right to have zero interest in whatever a band with that name is up to now.

This is like saying it'll still be Kraftwerk when Ralf dies, or The Stranglers now only JJ is left when he leaves, if the others carries on. It won't be.

Stephen Palmer likes this.
  4. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: TD no TD post Froese.

It does not surprise me at all that Froese should have always considered TD as a conceptual band and I personally love this idea. In keeping with his character and his cultural and artistic roots- the ultimate creative gesture (Musik Non Stop). So again respect! (and obviously respect to you guys who see things differently).

markreed likes this.
  5. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

I listened to "Raum" the other day. I thought it was okay, but I just can't seem to 'get it.' It may be part of my 'no Edgar no TD' feeling. I'm not sure. I did think it was a bit better than the sessions I've heard.

Regards,
    Dave

6. Deibu

I've skipped over Neuland before. I thought it was okay. Maybe I need to revisit it, maybe want to get it after all.

Regards,
    Dave

7. 24db

24db Forum Resident

Peter Baumann "Tangerine Dream is more of an idea than a band, and an idea can last for 100 years"

8. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

You know what I think... whatever this man says!!

Peter Baumann Haunted Heights just for the sake of it (not a very well known track so could act as a reminder!! Cyclone/ Hades rerelease- What?!!!)

9. 24db

24db Forum Resident

was meant to be on ENCORE - the plan was do a solo track each to complete side 4

10. Deibu

I like how Baumann reuses the main sequencer line from "Haunted Heights" in the track "Dancing in the Dark" from his album Machines of Desire, but takes it in a different direction altogether.

I still need to pick up Romance 76 and Trans Harmonic Nights. I assume the reissues are good.

Regards,
    Dave

Jaar21 likes this.
  11. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

This! :agree:

24db likes this.
  12. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Hacoon Mail 1978 !!

Of all the TD members and in keeping with his pretty rock’ n roll persona (or “outlaw” as Froese put it), Baumann produced pbbly the most outrageous album of all- a disco affair a la Donna Summer under the unlikely pseudonym of Hacoon Mail (!)
    [​IMG]

Movin' On - YouTube
    This one sounds as if Baumann had gone nightclubbing with Schmoelling!!

Endless Race - YouTube

The Guardian revealed in 2014 that the infamous Welcome to Joyland (since this is the title of this oddity- 1978) was in the list of one of the 101 strangest records” on Spotify !

Baumann could in 1 year produce a cash-in disco record with Hans Brandeis (to pay for the upkeep of his new Berlin Paragon Studio, under the Leda moniker who actually was the singer but no one seems to know anything about her, unless...), Schnitzler’s Con, Cluster’s Grosses Wasser, Tietchens’ Nachtstuecke and Roedelius’ Jardin au fou and Lustwandel… and work on his own Trans Harmonic Nights album!
    ...and then 5 yrs on stop for 32 years!!

A last one !!
    Peter Baumann - Space Ride (1978) - YouTube

Deibu likes this.
  13. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

hahah so much for Ulrich doesn't want to tour. hahah Although to be fair I suppose it's easier to tour the UK than Europe.

14. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

To be fair touring by yourself is not quite like touring with a band, especially if you live around the corner. And you never know he might pop over and make a guest appearance for a couple of Sessions?

Roberto899 likes this.
  15. 24db

24db Forum Resident

it's travelling on a nightliner that he hates (and the lack of decent sleep) - during TD's last European tour he even wanted to jump 'ship' and pay for his own flights. No problem in the UK, it's all driveable or accessible by train or bus

Roberto899 likes this.
  16. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

An amazing run indeed. And even more so when you add Edgar Froese's solo albums from that decade.

17. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Totally agree! :tiphat:

Stephen Palmer and DJ LX like this.
  18. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

A sharp and very articulate Haslinger in an enjoyable interview. Haslinger, whom Froese referred to in his autobiography as an “invaluable asset” (among many other very laudatory comments).

Paul Haslinger On Film Composing - YouTube

[​IMG]

Canyon Dreams, Near Dark and Miracle Mile are 3 great soundtracks which I feel have aged well... (Dead Solid Perfect could be great too but as it is, unfortunately a bit of a mess, would be nice to have a decent release!)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  19. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Although I’d had many TD classic Virgin releases it wasn’t until much later that I picked up Epsilon In Malaysian Pale and Macula Transfer and was totally knocked out. Great albums which complement Ricochet, Stratosfear etc perfectly.

DJ LX likes this.
  20. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@SlimZooms
    1976 another very busy year! June, July and August Froese and Baumann were working respectively on Macula Transfer and Romance 76, then they were in the studio again by the end of August for Stratosfear! In March, I believe, they had started working for William Friedkin’ s Wages Of Fear aka Sorcerer… plus some dates in the Spring and in the Autumn!!
    I remember when Romance 76 came out, it was a big thing for TD's fans (and Virgin's push was impressive), whereas the release of Macula Transfer was a great deal more discreet, for some reason it was not released on Virgin and it came out much later on ... I think it is a very underrated album (and I happen to listen to it a great deal more than Ages...)

… now, this is an incredible but little known album by Haslinger, dark ambient, got great reviews at the time (96)- Thought it might be of some interest to the Haslinger aficionados. Worth putting one’s headphones on, I think… It is just the 1st track.

RE: Coma Virus aka Paul Haslinger (album- Hidden 1996)

COMA VIRUS - Lower Than Epsilon - YouTube

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    Slim Zooms likes this.
  21. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I’m giving this show a shot! Bought tickets for Gateshead. Should be interesting and certainly intimate :righton:

22. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

To my shame I have not heard the Baumann solo album :(. Would you recommend Romance 76?

23. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

For me, its up there with the very best of TD

ciderglider, Jaar21 and Slim Zooms like this.
  24. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

In that case, best I do something about that then!

Jaar21 and fRa like this.
  25. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory Thread Starter

Who am I to say it is very much recommended listening, if not essential. But I do say it anyway.
    And I am not alone, having discovered these albums just a few weeks ago thanks to this very thread and it's kind and sharing people. Where have these albums been all my life?

We are certainly not alone with ranking his solo albums high.

https://www.bjork.fr/Melody-MakerV

Björk talks about the records that changed her life

8. Peter Baumann : "Romance ’76" / "Trans Harmonic Nights" / "Repeat Repeat"
    "First, Baumann was in Tangerine Dream [early Seventies ambient pioneers - Prog Rock Ed] and then he made these brilliant solo albums. I found one in my uncle’s house when I was 14 and I thought it sounded incredible. it’s just like the ambient pieces that the kids do today. He was an original. Before his time."

Stephen Palmer, Jaar21 and Slim Zooms like this.