All things Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hEARt PhoniX, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

:)! Read the book already ... It is nothing "definitive" that's for sure ! Not that Dallach meant it to be so ... since it is a compilation of interviews but does make for a great read and does cover a lot of ground ... def. worth getting.

24db likes this.
  2. Wes Moynihan

Wes Moynihan Red hot funkster

I watched the season 4 finale of Miami Vice earlier and was pleased to hear some of Alpha Centauri during a surreal dream sequence. Jan Hammer's music is an integral part of the show but it's interesting to speculate on what TD might have come up with had they wrote music for it. Miami Vice is very pop of course but on occasions you'd hear a wild card thrown in: in the Miami Vice companion episode to Mann's Manhunter, one of Eno's themes from Music for Films is played in its entirety over the pre-credit sequence.

Mooglander and Deibu like this.
  3. 24db

24db Forum Resident

One of the best books on a German artist. Brilliantly written (full disclosure, Stephen is a friend of mine)

Jaar21 likes this.
  4. 24db

24db Forum Resident

Good I can skip it then - well, too be honest, I probably wouldn't have bought it anyway. I've read enough about Kraftwerk for several lifetimes and the same goes for Can. The best book on Roedelius has already been written and the same goes for Manuel Goettsching (sorry no umlaut option). The only other group that consistantly fascinates me is - well that shouldn't be a suprise ;)

Talking of which I see that the release date of the 33 1/3 book on PHAEDRA has been pushed back again. I'll say it again, but unless you are going to interview Chris, Peter and the engineer then it's going to be flawed from the onset.

5. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Dallach's Neu Klang

Peter Baumann is featured ("at length") in Dallach's book and so is Q if I am right ...

6. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Manhunter

... you can hear Schulze's Freeze in Mann's film.

Wes Moynihan likes this.
  7. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

For some unexplained reasons yet, this one from Eno triggers the same listening experience as Zeit, just shorter in play time. It’s probably the completely unconventional spaceout nature of the music and ambience that makes it a similar listening experience. I bought this album on its release 42 years ago and just realized how much it connects to Zeit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    soundQman likes this.
  8. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Finally came across a copy of this on CD.

Tangerine Dream – Near Dark
    Varèse Sarabande – VCD 47309
    [​IMG]

Roberto899, Mooglander, Deibu and 3 others like this.
  9. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

Excellent music. Awful cover picture. I'm surprised the image wasn't rated mature with how effed-up Severen is in this pic. :eek:

Excellent movie too. I'm not keen on vampires, but this is an exception. I pray no one ever tries to remake it.

Regards,
    Dave

frozennorth, The_Windmill and ganma like this.
  10. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory Thread Starter

I have been listening to Light Flux quite a few times this weekend. I noticed I do not remember putting it on since upon release, it kind of fell through the cracks. Used to play it while reading the book it came with, and the ... it disappeared on the shelf.

I agree with your *** rating, I quite like Edgar's pieces at the moment. Reaching Ravenna too. But it still requires some repeated listenings.

And here is my correction: it was not released in 2014, as it came with the book that took until 2017. The book itself says 2017, the Light Flux cover as well.

Voices In The Net - Light Flux

11. Mooglander

Mooglander Forum Resident

I must disagree with you there, bud. I think the VS cover's brilliant. To the untrained eye, it looks like he crawled out of a mud pit. The backlit effect is great, which results in a still that emulates a painting.

BSX's remaster's lazy cover resembles a random lobby card they pulled from under the desk (which they probably did). If you're going to do this, show the entire cast, or better yet, just use the movie poster. :help:

[​IMG]

Copy that. You can't out-Paxton Bill Paxton (R.I.P.). Unfortunately, Hollywood still isn't past remaking 1980's sleeper classics, adding Road House to the list after Robocop, Fright Night and Footloose, among others. But I was more bent they remade Point Break than any of those.

[​IMG]

ganma and Deibu like this.
  12. Mooglander

It's been said Jan Hammer's music is as much a principal cast member as any of the actors the show helped make famous. What TD did to underscore the deserts of the world, Jan did for the tropics. The confluence of rock and jazz in Jan's electronic cottage in the Northeast woods became one of the defining sounds of the decade.

To hear what TD would've done, watch Streethawk. You can also hear an early version of "Zeit (For Stephan)" from Johannes' debut LP, Wuivend Reit.

Wes Moynihan and ArpMoog like this.
  13. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

The Melodies cd eludes me big $ ask.
    Need a reissue.

Mooglander likes this.
  14. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Wouldn't a all encompassing Jan box be Wonderful.

Mooglander likes this.
  15. Mooglander

That would be an ISOH-sized venture!

ArpMoog likes this.
  16. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Im still in.

Mooglander likes this.
  17. Mooglander

[​IMG]

ArpMoog likes this.
  18. Deibu

Well that Severen image is used in a movie poster, if I'm not mistaken. I actually like that image from the reissue. They do need to have Caleb and Mae (but no Homer! :D). I guess I'm being disagreeable today. :)

I just know that if they tried to remake Near Dark, it'd turn out like Twilight - all shiny and caring about your feelings. :biglaugh:

Regards,
    Dave

Mooglander likes this.
  19. hEARt PhoniX

20. Mooglander

You may have to compromise, with Mae, but Homer in place of Caleb. :laugh:

[​IMG]

In the Road House remake, nuDalton actually takes some guys to the ER after he whups them. How ridiculous is that?

Deibu likes this.
  21. Deibu

Nope. I never could stand that Homer kid.

That's ridiculous indeed! Makes me wonder how the original Road House remake idea with Ronda Rousey would've flown. Ugh.

Regards,
    Dave

Mooglander likes this.
  22. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@hEARt PhoniX

RE: Album dates

I never ever use release dates (IMO of very little interest) but recording dates whenever possible (I have only used release date/s if recording dates were unknown).
    As for Light Flux- no recording was done after 2014.

Now most books, including Froese's, use release dates (so do VitN and I utterly dislike it- totally chaotic to me, that said, they have been consistent and done a very thorough job, at least until the Quantum Years). VitN is obviously great and very useful esp when it comes to making sure you have not missed out anything in a very long list of albums. And I utterly dislike all this Pink / Blue Years nonsense ... TDI / Eastgate !!! At best of very little interest.

RE: TD phase by phase :)

This is the way I see it- worth what its worth but IMHO a lot more telling:

0 Intro / Zodiak Years 1967/1969-1970 ***

1 Baumann Period 1971-1977 ****

2 Schmoelling Period 1979-1985 ****

3 Haslinger Period 1986-1990 ***

4 Froese father & son (aka Seattle Years / post-Seattle Years) Period 1990-2000

(Although Jerome stayed a little longer but IMHO after 2000 starts the Froese's

Projects Period)

from 2000 post Monique's death:

5 Froese's Projects Period until Quantum Years 2014

6 Quantum Years 2014 … ****

Most of these periods can strangely enough be split in 2

1 Baumann Ohr Years/ Virgin Years (Moog cesura)

2 Schmoelling Virgin Years/ Jive Electro Years

3 Haslinger Jive Electro Years/ Private Music Years (Franke’s Departure cesura)

5 Froese’s Projects Period could be split in 3:

o + Jerome

o + Quaeschning

o + Q + Yamane [pre- Quantum Years Period]

6 Quantum Years

o + Schnauss

o + Frick

Periods 4&5 tread carefully, acquired taste!

1,2,3 & 6 unreservedly great or at least interesting.

The Froese's Projects Years include roughly:

· the 7 Letters from Tibet

· the DANTE Trilogy

· the Cup Discs Series

· the Chandra diptych

· the 5 Atomic Seasons

· Grand Theft Auto V

· Sorcerer expanded version

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
  23. hEARt PhoniX

OK, I understand. My approach is a bit different, but I also don't have a trult workable solution, still experimenting, reading, moving stuff around.

How do you approach overdubbed stuff, such as Green Desert?

For me the release date still is the number one sorting tool. But then ... it gets complicated.

24. Mooglander

There's really no need to overcomplicate things. I go by line-ups and release dates.

"Franke's departure c[a]esura" cracks me up, no offense. A caesura means a break or interruption, so that sounds wonky.

25. Deibu

Personally, I see Green Desert as unfinished until 1986. Recording dates 1973 & 1984 with release in '86. It's a Blue Years album due to the recording date.

That said, for some stupid reason, I chose to rack the so-called Vault CDs when they were released, not recorded. :whistle:

Regards,
    Dave

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
    Norco74 likes this.