All things Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hEARt PhoniX, Nov 4, 2020.

1. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory Thread Starter

@Jaar21 Oh by the way, a new Gas is coming early December as well.

GordonM and Jaar21 like this.
  2. Fab Four Revolution

Fab Four Revolution Forum Resident

There's definitely lots of music composed for it I believe. There was already hours and hours worth for the single player mode, but over the years Rockstar have utilised a good amount of new music in the various updates for GTA Online. I'd love to see them do an expanded edition of the soundtrack down the line that includes music from said DLC. Especially all the heists and such! Some really great stuff there.

You're probably aware, but in addition to the official soundtrack released by Rockstar, Tangerine Dream also released their own soundtrack too called The Cinematographic Score. It was a very limited release though!

Jaar21 likes this.
  3. hEARt PhoniX

The album is still available, as CD, mp3 and Flac. I really enjoyed what I heard of it on YT but for some reason have always bought something else.
    Tangerine Dream: Grand Theft Auto / GTA 5 - The Cinematographic Score
    Or Flac at their bandcamp.
    The Cinematographic Score GTA 5, by Tangerine Dream

Fab Four Revolution likes this.
  4. Fab Four Revolution

Fab Four Revolution Forum Resident

hEARt PhoniX likes this.
  5. hEARt PhoniX

As of Deezer my most listened to album 2021/09 was Tangerine Dream Sessions VII.
    And this time I do believe their statistics. I do not yet have it in any other format. And there is an emphasis upon the yet.
    I do expect TD to range quite high at my year end statistic. And that is not counting when I listened to something from my own ever-growing collection.

6. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@hEARt PhoniX
    I put this one in the thread a couple of pages back, it is phenomenally brilliant but went totally unnoticed...maybe people were put off by the dodgy sound quality at the v. beginning, it gets better quickly.

Tangerine Dream - 22:58 Session - Ozora Festival , Hungary 2018 - YouTube
    Thanks for the GAS news, did not know. For anyone interested in physical releases, the vinyl edition of Narkopop is splendid (like a massive hardback book with 2 vinyls and the CD).

PS: Just received my Quaeschning & Schnauss Synthwaves CD- under cellophane but with a hole punch in the corner (!), pbbly to hang on to the Xmas tree!!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  7. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@Norco74
    RE: Yamane Primitive
    Thank you v.much for this. Great album...glad you enjoyed it too- have listened to it about 10 times now. Her best so far, I think... this track could almost come out of the Zeit sessions !

Premiere: Japanese Violinist-Producer Tukico Scores an Eerie Folk Tale on 'Carnim - Aiso' - (rollingstoneindia.com)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  8. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Paul Frick, Ensemble Resonanz

SPREEHALLE Berlin
    Reinbeckstr. 16
    12459 Berlin

Oct. 23, 2021
    Begin: 19:30 Your local time: 18:30
    Paul Frick, Komposition und Live-Elektronik
    Ensemble Resonanz

9. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

... forgot the work with Emika ... In Parallel 2020

Paul Frick Digest 7

Great track. Great mini album.

Text from Forced Exposure

Emika and Paul Frick collaborate and make magical music from pianos, a vibraphone robot and synths that play themselves. Their music feels like rainbow drops, raining color, light bouncing from crystal gemstones. Reminiscent of Erik Satie, Laurie Anderson, with a melodic glitchy nod to Aphex Twin. This is music that channels some seriously beautiful light. It's a great record to both wake up to and reflect under the moonlight. CNCPT brings the Berlin experimental techno vibes, turning them into what they perhaps should have always been (if Emika and Paul Frick weren't so in love with sound art minimalism). A perfect match for the flipside. A very satisfying A and B realization on the vinyl. Includes digital download, score book, and synth midi files. Pink vinyl.

10. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

OK.... tracked down original CD pressings of Stratosphear and Ricochet in the wild.

Now to find Phaedra and Rubycon.....

MC Rag, Jaar21 and Deibu like this.
  11. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    GordonM likes this.
  12. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

....aaaaand Rubycon acquired......

Deibu likes this.
  13. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I’ve listened to Macula Transfer last night. I didn’t listened to it for ages. It fits well between Ricochet and Stratosfear.

Anyone have an idea where I can find a digital copy of this gem?

14. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Norco74 likes this.
  15. TheOrangeSauce

TheOrangeSauce Forum Resident

The original only had one legitimate CD release in 1998, which was almost immediately withdrawn due to rights issues. If you're willing to settle for the 2005 re-recording, it's available digitally from the Eastgate shop.

Norco74 likes this.
  16. Norco74

Re-recording will do it just for my curiosity but I am still looking for the vintage kraut sound of the 70’s. I wish (no)Brain Records would be more flexible sometimes…

17. Mr. Heartbreak

Mr. Heartbreak Deep in the heart of darkest America

I came to Tangerine Dream via the Poland album around the time it came out in 1984. Having gone backwards and forwards from there, collecting everything from Electronic Meditation up through Tangram, it seems like the discography beyond that is rather overwhelming, to say the least. I'd be curious to know what post-1984 records TD fans recommend the most.

A couple questions: is Poland a weird entry point to them? It was my only one, but having listened to a lot of early ambient/space music in the mid- t0 late-80s via the "Music From The Hearts Of Space" radio show, Eno and others, it seemed normal to me.

My other question is more trivial: anyone here a fan of the Netflix show Stranger Things? They used a TD clip on an episode, and I recognized it only since it's been in my head since 1984. I had to Google the episode music to figure it out, but it was the "Rare Bird" section of "Tangent." Anyone else catch that?

18. Norco74

Poland as an entry point is just fine. I jumped on the bus at Stratosfear and as you made my way to the back catalog and jumped out after Canyon Dreams. Transiberia, Mars Polaris and Quinoa are albums I often go back to listen. There’s way too many albums out there!

Mr. Heartbreak likes this.
  19. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@Mr.Heartbreak
    RE: post 1984

Obviously, this is very subjective but ...

During the Schmoelling period past 84 I would recommend:

Legend 85 (soundtrack)

…then during the Haslinger period, the studio album

Underwater Sunlight 86 is good

The best of that period might be soundtrack albums:

Canyon Dreams 86

Near Dark 87

Miracle Mile 88 ... are to me 3 great soundtrack albums

I would still recommend the studio album

Optical Race 88 (NB: without Franke which means a pretty drastic stylistic change).

After 1990 and Haslinger’s departure, it is very much acquired taste and to be fair I would not be the best person to ask. Most of what I heard was flat, syrupy and ponderous with a few exceptions (The 7 Letters From Tibet). @Norco74 is recommending the soundtrack Transsiberia (never heard it...)

There seem to be some very encouraging signs again around 2010/11 when Hoshiko Yamane arrived, a sort of prequel period to the Quantum Years:

Chandra The Phantom Ferry Part 1 in 2009, I thought was pretty interesting (that said, I did not like part 2).

the 4 Sonic Poems, and ...

Grand Theft Auto V soundtrack to computer game, are all pretty good too.

As for the Quantum Years, I am totally biased (!), I love virtually everything they have done… only maybe Recurring Dreams in 2019 was IMHO unnecessary.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Mr. Heartbreak likes this.
  20. Norco74

Quantum is like a renaissance statement to the whole TD cycle . They have never been so focused on new textures since the Blue years.

uzn007, LivingForever and 24db like this.
  21. hEARt PhoniX

Wow, yesterday I thought what you make of that album. I too do not really listen to it, except for Der Mond Ist Aufgegangen.
    I love that song since I can remember. My earliest musical memory. I had (and still have) a wooden moon which plays that song.
    While I would have liked a freer approach, I still like that version and it does indeed make that album essential for me.

22. 24db

24db Forum Resident

Recent sync-licensed TANGERINE DREAM music:

'Love on a Real Train' (original mix) used three times in THE BABYSITTER: KILLER QUEEN

'Love on a Real Train' (original mix) used in the Horror short HELPING HANDS

'Phaedra' (Title track) - LP also shown and TD named. BLACK MIRROR - BANDERSNATCH (Netflix) - up to 6 excerpts.

'Love on a Real Train' 1994 TANGENTS remix (from RISKY BUSINESS). BLACK MIRROR - BANDERSNATCH (Netflix) - drug taking scene.

'Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares' (from PHAEDRA). BLACK MIRROR - BANDERSNATCH (Netflix) - up to 3 excerpts.

'Unicorn Theme'/ 'Opening'/ 'Blue Room' (from LEGEND). HOMECOMING - Work (Amazon Prime).

'Rare Bird' (from POLAND): STRANGER THINGS (Netflix). Season 2. Episode 9 · Chapter Nine: "The Gate".

'Birth of Liquid Plejades' (from ZEIT): THE TERROR (AMC). Season 1. Available to buy now from Amazon.

‘Love On A Real Train’ (original mix): CHANEL: THE CRUISE 2019/20 SHOW

‘Claymore Mine Stalking’ – re-recorded version by Thorsten. TD’s ‘LP’s was also shown playing in the films (from The Park is Mine): LORDS OF CHAOS

'Love On A Real Train' (original mix): MR ROBOT (Amazon Prime), the entire track was used. Season 1, Episode 5: "_br4ve-trave1er.asf"

'Love On A Real Train' (original mix): HIGH RISE trailer - also won an award.

'Love On A Real Train' (original mix): LOUDER THAN BOMBS. - IMDB and the film's OST CD both list as the rerecorded version, but the film itself uses almost 4 minutes of the original.

'Love On A Real Train' (original mix): GANGSTERDAM 2017 movie.

'White Clouds' (from GREEN DESERT): BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100 online and TV? motorbike advert.

'Green Desert' (from GREEN DESERT): STRANGER THINGS (Netflix). Season 1, Episode 5 · Chapter Five: "The Flea and the Acrobat"

'Exit' (from EXIT): STRANGER THINGS (Netflix). Season 1 · Episode 6 · "Chapter Six: The Monster"

'Horizon' (from POLAND): STRANGER THINGS (Netflix). Season 1 · Episode 8 · Chapter Eight: "The (Netflix) - drug-taking scene.

Mr. Heartbreak and uzn007 like this.
  23. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

24. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

I was lucky enough to get a copy of the first CD version through the US fan club waaay back. I must admit it's my least favorite Froese album. Still good though.

Regards,
    Dave

TheOrangeSauce likes this.
  25. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

RE: Black Mirror Bandersnatch... I must admit that the TD geek in me was a bit annoyed by their use of the Tangents remix of LOART. That version wasn't made until 10 years after the events of the film. I guess the producers couldn't get a copy of the original version, but I still don't like the anachronism it made. :tsk:

I couldn't believe it when I saw Phaedra as a selection. It was a no-brainer even though I like Tomita too. :agree:

Regards,
    Dave

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021