All things Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hEARt PhoniX, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

As my chances of getting the Manikin edition of Macula Transfer were pretty slim, I decided to restore my copy from vinyl. One thing I discovered is that the distortion on "OS 452" is mostly out-of-phase, so with some mid-side manual declicking trickery, I was able to eliminate it... and now I have a cleaner-sounding copy than any ever issued.

2. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

Yes, Flashpoint is one of TD's stronger soundtracks! :righton: In the mid-90s I was lucky to find a copy of the reissue.

Regards,
    Dave

Scope J and Slim Zooms like this.
  3. 24db

24db Forum Resident

Look out for the counterfeit copies of Macula Transfer that sometimes turn up on eBay and Discogs

4. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Are there any subtle signs to watch out for in order to identify a counterfeit?

TheOrangeSauce likes this.
  5. 24db

24db Forum Resident

uzn007 and TheOrangeSauce like this.
  6. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

So if one intends to get the most readable version of this book, it is suggested to wait?
    I remember when this book was initially released last year. I held off on getting it originally because of international shipping hangups.

7. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

klockwerk, 24db and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  8. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

I just picked up a 1st press copy of Rubycon. After a good clean ( of the LP ! ) I was transported instantly to another Universe !!!! TD between 74/75 are pretty damn perfect to me !!!!

9. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

No point in waiting unless you are looking for the German version, which is planned for April 2022.

420JJJazz666 and Jaar21 like this.
  10. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

11. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

I agree. After that they started using digital synths, it wasn't the same. Much prefer the analog/mellotron sounds.

MikeF63 likes this.
  12. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Also check out the Sorcerer soundtrack.

Deibu and Slim Zooms like this.
  13. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

14. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Jaar21 likes this.
  15. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Paul Haslinger Monster Hunter

Always cautious when it comes to soundtracks…even by past TD members but Monster Hunter by Paul Haslinger which has been released in Japan on CD seems to have some excellent music on it (World Beyond Our Senses, Diablos, Monsters in Hiding, A Hard Climb Ahead of Us…are among some of the tracks which have attracted my attention...). Would be nice if there was a general CD/vinyl release soon. As I said before Canyon Dreams, Near Dark and Miracle Mile were I thought great soundtracks. So were the 2 volumes of Halt and Catch Fire (that said, both volumes could have easily made it on 1 CD).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  16. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@Slim Zooms
    Was a little brief in my comment (!)...I have not watched it for quite a while; thought it fizzled out a little towards the end... (?) but it is a well known doc and ... the BBC!

PS: By the way, rushed on to my copy of Macula Transfer and it is the genuine one...wish I had a proper copy of Epsilon on CD too. After the success of the 2 Virgin TD box sets, we can always hope for a Froese one.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    Slim Zooms and Norco74 like this.
  17. 24db

24db Forum Resident

Krautrock- The Rebirth of Germany was good, but it was a shame that they couldn't get the BBC to fund what they wanted - ie a 90-minute doc. So much of what they had planned was scrapped - including all of the photos of TD that I sent them ;)

bzfgt, Slim Zooms and Jaar21 like this.
  18. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@24db

RE: Krautrock: The Rebirth of Germany.

... incredible that you should say this... because I could not quite put my finger on it but I felt when I watched it years ago that there was something slightly awkward about it...I will watch it again this weekend.

PS: Just received my vinyl version of Yamane's Mujo (with Bernocchi) and it really is excellent. The nod to Phaedra on Hokorobi is subtle and thoroughly enjoyable.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    Slim Zooms likes this.
  19. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Yes now that you mention it I agree it did fizzle out and I also thought that TD were given fairly short shrift. Now in the light of what @24db says it makes sense as to why we had that feeling.
    Still, some great footage shown and the doc inspired me to dig deeper into the music of some of the bands mentioned.
    Nice for you to have a ‘proper’ MT :righton:
    I’d love an original Epsilon too.

Jaar21 likes this.
  20. Deibu

Good thing your MT is real. I never had Epsilon before the 1974-1983 box set. I doubt we'll see another Froese set since this one covers all of his Virgin stuff (minus Kamikaze for some stupid reason). Kamikaze is the only one of his I don't have now. I had to rip it from YT. :whistle:

Regards,
    Dave

21. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

7 Epsilon for sale on Discogs
    Edgar Froese - Epsilon In Malaysian Pale (CD, UK, 1987) For Sale | Discogs

Jaar21 likes this.
  22. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Deibu and fRa like this.
  23. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory Thread Starter

Let's for a short while appreciate the irony if this is accurate: a German author and a German publisher create a book on Germany's music history ... in English, and then have it translated to German.

I still hope this is a kind of misunderstanding. I'd be conflicted, as I do try to avoid translations, but if this one has got more info ... I will have little room for deciding for English.
    I'd like to know which lnaguage the book was written in.

24. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Well the author is German, moved to the States 13 years ago and wrote the book in English.

I would advise you to wait for the expanded German edition, the often literal translations can be a little distracting :D
    Also the whole structure of his writing is rather obviously based on German syntax.
    It still is a very enjoyable read though! Interestingly the publisher claims the only feedback he had of people criticising the poor English came from German readers, funny enough.

I certainly look forward to the German edition!

hEARt PhoniX likes this.
  25. Deibu

You should intend that pun. It's a good one. :D

Regards,
    Dave