All things Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hEARt PhoniX, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

... out on January 21st 22

8 tracks
    1. Edgy Smiles
    2. Exp 1
    3. You Look At Me
    4. Curfewed
    5. See Through
    6. Forget This
    7. Codrive Me
    8. Happy (Slow Burner)

2. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

There are a couple of compilations, though they are pretty short and far from comprehensive. I've never heard them, doubt they can be recommended:
    Tangerine Dream - Dream Music "The movie music of Tangerine Dream, from these movies: The Park Is Mine, Deadly Care, Dead Solid Perfect."
    Tangerine Dream - Dream Music 2 (1995, CD) "This is a compilation of various artists performing TD's soundtrack music from the 80's including some of the original Tangerine Dream recordings as well."

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  3. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Looks to me like the TD footage is new as well,man the whole concert would have been sweet to see.

Jaar21 likes this.
  4. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory Thread Starter

Wow.
    Following that link I just learned of a Klaus Schulze biography. Available in German and English.
    Will. Must. Buy.
    VIOLINEN WACHSEN NICHT AUF BÄUMEN - Leben und Werk von Klaus Schulze DEUTSCH from Olaf Lux

amonjamesduul likes this.
  5. hEARt PhoniX

Probe 6-8 has landed at Deezer.
    https://deezer.page.link/mfbmzdKhFsp2Jx6K8I am a bit astonished that at their official shop TD link from the news item to the shop with a button "Order/Download", but I can only buy a CD and LP.
    Still waiting for the download. As I am not planning to buy this on a physical release, I am waiting for the download from their own site. I suppose it will become available during the day once people get to their workdesk.
    Tangerine Dream: Probe 6-8
    Qobuz already has it.
    Album Probe 6-8, Tangerine Dream | Qobuz: Download und Streaming in hoher Audioqualität

6. 24db

24db Forum Resident

Norco74, hEARt PhoniX and fRa like this.
  7. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

...my mobile phone is telling me that the physical version is 10 minutes away from my letter-box! (received the latest Brandt Brauer Frick earlier on- Big Wax were incredibly quick!)[/QUOTE]

hEARt PhoniX likes this.
  8. hEARt PhoniX

9. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

... incredible to think that this material has been sitting in the vaults of INA for so long without anyone being able to release it on DVD or any other support... I suppose the entire concerts were recorded (was over 2 days)...(?)
    Probably, the 1st significant breakout of this movement outside Germany...(?)

[​IMG]

amonjamesduul likes this.
  10. 24db

24db Forum Resident

CONTINUUM

david gunderman and Jaar21 like this.
  11. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

... the Sam Barker version is particularly great (last track).

[​IMG]

GordonM likes this.
  12. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

I wasn’t enthusiastic about two remixes on the EP but I totally agree with this - Barker’s 2019 album Utility is also good. Probe 6-8 is an enjoyable listen for me. It has a different flavour to the Quantum material thus far, and the Sessions series. Bodes well for an album.

No Ulrich Schnauss on this - but I listened recently to his album with Mark Peters - Destiny Waiving. The track Circular Time is particularly nice. I havn’t listened to their earlier albums.

Jaar21 likes this.
  13. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Remixes are collaborations of some sort and here both Aimee Portioli and Sam Barker are collaborators with a pedigree so this can only be exciting.
    Sam Barker's album Utility was mastered by another great hero of mine Stefan Betke aka Pole (I highly recommend the CD boxset with the first 3 albums- Pole 1, 2, 3. Got a five star review in The Guardian)[/QUOTE]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    GordonM likes this.
  14. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

It’s also available as FLAC on 7digital, at least on the Canadian site.

You can also stream it from Tidal.

I liked very much what I have heard so far. Raum is definitely a beautiful achievement.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    GordonM likes this.
  15. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Probe 6.8/Magnetic Mag. [extract]

"Tangerine Dream deliver another suite of sublime, slow moving and growing tracks like the cinematic opener “Raum” that gradually builds with dark synths over nearly 15 minutes. “Continuum” evolves with airy pads and rolling synths. Grand River (Aimee Portioli) adds an epic and growing remix for the opener “Raum” paring things down a little bit. Barker keeps the essence of “Continuum”, but makes the synths oscillate even more for a tune that hypnotizes."

16. Stephen Palmer

Stephen Palmer Dreamer of Tangerines

17. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Probe 6.8

First impressions…

The adventurous spirit of Tangerine Dream lives on! and I personally feel it is a great idea to have enlisted the services of 2 state-of-the-art sound designers to round off this great pre-album- classy! (Paul Frick’s idea? who released an album exclusively made of remixes of his 1st solo album- Hofknicks in 2020). Standouts on Probe 6.8? Difficult one- all the tracks are top notch but if push comes to shove, at number 1 would be Sam Barker’s splendid take on Continuum, stripped to the bare essentials, totally hypnotic and addictive. Inspired collaboration” which rounds off this excellent pre-album on a high note. (Continuum the original track reminds me a little in style of Ashra post-Blackout). All in all, a beautifully crafted object with compact compositions brimming with ideas which refuse to ever overstay their welcome i/e the 5 minutes Para Guy. As for Raum it already feels like a classic TD track (Aimee Portioli’s remixed version fleshes out the album in a very homogeneous way without ever sounding like an unnecessary repeat- the initial track undergoes a serious process of subtraction! great work on sounds too).
    IMHO, a warm, melancholic and comforting album for unsettled times with a lingering afterlife… (bring on the real thing with Ulrich onboard!)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Norco74 likes this.
  18. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

"Brandt Brauer Frick is currently working on their sixth album, which essentially focuses on what the world needs right now: “Fun, Togetherness: RAVE”. [Beats International]

19. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Ash Ra Tempel/ Seven Up / Liberation / July 2011
    Great article on the making of Seven Up by Ash Ra Tempel from the French paper Liberation (in French but you can get the translation). A few years ago Manuel Gottsching was talking about a documentary made on the subject by his partner documentarist/film maker Ilona Zyok…but no news since then …(?)

Cosmiques troupiers – Libération (liberation.fr)

[​IMG]

Hartmut Enke with Timothy Leary

PS: By the way Cosmic troupiers is a pun based on a French cinema slapstick sub-genre from the 1930’s called “comique troupier” …
    PPS: There is an even better article (much longer- 4 pages) from Mojo Mag available on Ash Ra Tempel official website.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    bzfgt and amonjamesduul like this.
  20. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

Currently listening to Chris Franke's The London Concert. A real classic! Makes me wish he did more non-soundtrack work before retiring.
    [​IMG]

Regards,
    Dave

Roberto899 and Norco74 like this.
  21. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Because we were discussing the book before - extended German version now available fpr preorder:
    Der Sound der Jahre (Hardcover, German) – Halvmall

After having finished the book I have to say, I did enjoy the first half of the book a LOT more than the second half which covers the 80's onwards, where it turned into a lot of rambling on and the author's personal opinions on politics and culture...
    The first half about the 60's and 70's is totally worth checking out though!

hEARt PhoniX likes this.
  22. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

From Shindig! Mag (best review came from Ian Shirley in Record Collector Mag)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    hEARt PhoniX and surfling like this.
  23. hEARt PhoniX

Great news, thank you!
    I am waiting fod the epub though. That is tge advantage, many German ebooks cone DRM-free unless you buy them from some global sellers who refuse to seel anything DRM-free.

As soon as that is up, my order is in,

24. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Yep, good point, and I can confirm that the English epub is DRM free.

hEARt PhoniX likes this.
  25. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Hi All. I've been following this thread with interest. Thanks for all the great posts. Although I've posted in other TD threads, I just discovered I haven't done so here until now.

Is anyone familiar with John Carpenter's Lost Themes releases? The first one is pretty good. The second one is brilliant. The third one is a bit bland.

The reason I'm posting here is: Carpenter (including his son and godson) seem very influenced by Schmoelling-era, and to a lesser extent Haslinger-era TD. Listen especially to Lost Themes II and tell me if you agree.

Jaar21 likes this.