All things Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hEARt PhoniX, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

@donmac, same here. Missing the last 10 volumes or so. Thanks!

uzn007 likes this.
  2. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I know of an FTP site that has all the TT & TL and some other stuff that wasn't part of the series if anyone is interested.

uzn007 likes this.
  3. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

Was lucky enough to attend this concert as well as the Melbourne Town Hall Concert from the SUPERNORMAL set. The Melbourne 1982 performance was broadcast live on the national radio network, ABC, and the brief drop out was a glitch on the night.
    The Town Hall performance was, IIRC , Edgars third last show. That’s the back of my bald head, balcony centre, in the cover photo from the night.
    I have my cassette of the Dallas Brookes Hall performance, but was not aware it was available on CD, or is it digital only ?

Deibu, proedros and Roberto899 like this.
  4. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

If you are asking about SUPERNORMAL it used to be CD at one time. Not sure if it's still in print. You can get a digital download off their Bandcamp site.

5. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

yeah my bad , i meant Tangram (all these years i thought this was a live album , maybe it has to do that almost all of their favorite live albums like Ricochet/Logo Live/Poland , have studio-like quality sound)

6. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

is the 2011 remaster the best cd version for Poland (1984) ?

or should i seek these versions instead ?

1984 - Relativity / 88561-8045-2
    2003 - Sanctuary Records / 06076 81296-2

7. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

Sorry, to clarify, I have the Supernormal triple CD, was querying the availability of the 1982 concert.

Roberto899 likes this.
  8. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

Sydney 82 is on the Official Bootleg Series volume 3. Melbourne 82 is not 'officially' available. It's on youtube and a certain site that has archived the Tangerine trees/leaves that haven't otherwise been released.

Regards,
    Dave

9. Deibu

Ahh, makes sense. Tangram's my favorite. The studio quality sound you hear is probably because most of their older live albums had some studio tweaking/additions. Like the drums on Ricochet part 1 for example.

Regards,
    Dave

proedros likes this.
  10. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

TD are a band i return always , i am back at them again , with emphasis on hearing the pilots boxset (and all those 2020 remasters in it)

The sydney 82 from OB3 is fantastic , indeed - i think i am gonna play the east berlin 80 from OB2 next.

Deibu likes this.
  11. Deibu

You're not going to believe this, but I'm listening to east Berlin right now!

TD is my favorite group so I find myself listening to something of theirs almost every day. There's a sound/style of theirs for just about any mood I'm in.

Regards,
    Dave

proedros likes this.
  12. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory Thread Starter

Played the complete Sydney yesterday evening, but starting with that second half (Mojave Plan), with the other part after that.
    Wow, great show.
    There may be parts I prefer on the Melbourne show, but I will have to compare.
    What a band.

... and Midnight In Tula made think it was a great bow towards Kraftwerk's TEE (that chords, but also the percussion), and also Gary Numan's Are Friends Electric with it's nervous synth lines that are somewhat reminiscent and even use the same sound.
    Another track made me think of Jarre.
    Interesting.

proedros likes this.
  13. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

TD are like (JMJ + Kraftwerk) together, only better and with more catchy melodies

Giants,

14. Norco74

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    proedros, Slim Zooms and GordonM like this.
  15. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

16. Norco74

You are welcomed and this is why such threads exists!

Deibu likes this.
  17. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Glad to see this being reissued - but I just got this a couple of weeks ago after searching for it for months :( :D

18. hEARt PhoniX

Everybody who hasn't got it already: go for it! I love it. Having the complete Palast Der Republik gig is alone worth the admission.
    I bought all three OB from Qobuz, so I won't bite again, but it's a great set.

proedros and Deibu like this.
  19. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I've been trying to find this boxset (for a reasonable price) since it went out of print a year or two ago, since it features material from Cyclone and Tangram, two of my favorite post-Baumann albums.

20. Deibu

I agree whole heartedly. Of course all 3 OB sets are excellent and worth getting.

The '78 concert is my least favorite in all the sets. The sound quality is good but I feel the performance is lacking some energy compared to other shows I've heard from that tour.

Regards,
    Dave

21. hEARt PhoniX

This morning I listened to White Eagle, as that has been played in full at Melbourne / Sydney.
    After being not too impressed directly after receiving the Pilots box, I am now mesmerized. What a magic album. What a wonderful way to start the day, directly after waking up.
    Listening again right now, enjoying the playfulness, all the ideas and the fun that make this album.
    What an album.
    What a band.

My feelings are very different to your statement. To me all those "other" artists are very worthy on their own. Talking of Kraftwerk, they are the ultimate musical art performance exhibiton for me.
    Awe inspiring, mesmerizing. A gesamtkunstwerk of music, design, conceptual art, minimalism and humour that is unreached by any other band, as far as I am concerned. But that's ok, that minimalism and intellectualism is quite antagonistic to how I am receiving Tangerine Dream who are warm, human and spontanious.
    Jarre is also quite something else, and so on.

I am really glad we've got them all. Wouldn't like to miss neither.

DJ LX, proedros and uzn007 like this.
  22. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

Logos Live
    Ricochet
    Poland
    Dominion Theater 1982
    East Berlin 1980
    Tangram
    Sydney 1982

what i have been replaying non-stop these last few days

what.a.band.

Roberto899, Deibu and hEARt PhoniX like this.
  23. Norco74

Just finished listening to Washington 1977. I must admit that it can’t be better than that.

Deibu and uzn007 like this.
  24. hEARt PhoniX

Me: I know exactly what you mean. Have thought so several times before. But ...
    Tangerine Dream: hold my archive

25. Norco74

I have The Sessions Vol.1 and really enjoy it. I know at the present moment there’s six volumes out. Are they getting redundant after a while or are each volume worth having?