Allan Holdsworth "IOU Live In Japan 1984" limited CD/DVD set (Manifesto) - 12/7/2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StarThrower62, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Manifesto has partnered with the Holdsworth Family Estate to release a series of archival live recordings from the various eras of Allan's long and esteemed career and ALLAN HOLDSWORTH, I.O.U. - LIVE IN JAPAN 1984 will be the first of the recordings from this series. LIVE IN JAPAN 1984 is the final live set by Allan Holdsworth's I.O.U band, featuring live versions of material from his first three solo albums; I.O.U., the Grammy nominated Road Games and Metal Fatigue. The first 1,000 copies of this release will come with a bonus DVD of this historic concert. This is an obvious "must have" for Allan Holdsworth fans all over the world!

Tracklist
    1. Tokyo Dream
    2. Road Games
    3. White Line
    4. Panic Station
    5. Letters Of Marque
    6. Home
    7. Devil Take The Hindmost
    8. Material Real
    9. Metal Fatigue
    10. Where Is One
    11. The Thing You See (When You Haven't Got Your Gun)
    12. Was There?

2. StarThrower62

I heard through the grapevine that Wayside Music will be carrying this in addition to Amazon.

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Great, thanks for the heads up. I'll order it from there, Steve is awesome.

Greenalishi and StarThrower62 like this.
  4. StarThrower62

I don't imagine these will be flying out the door in the thousands so it's probably safe to say anyone ordering soon will get the limited copy with the DVD.

Greenalishi and zappaien like this.
  5. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Mine showed up today with the DVD stuck into the sleeve, and it was nearly impossible to pull it free.
    I notice a glitch in Panic Station at 21:49 or so. Anybody else?

6. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Wow, I had totally missed this announcement. Just ordered one. Thank you!!!

7. StarThrower62

Mine didn't arrive today. Too bad about the defect.

8. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Just pulled the trigger on this from Amazon. I probably wouldn't buy it if it wasn't for the limited DVD, so hopefully they haven't run out of copies yet!

9. Scroller

Just got the DVD and yes, mine has a glitch in Panic Station too. Also, another one in Devil Take The Hindmost right around 43:38 during Allan's incredible guitar solo. Then again, every solo on this thing is incredible! The glitches are very minor but they're noticeable. This aside, I really like the sound of this recording, sparse and uncluttered. Smooth, balanced, clean, instruments blended nicely, everything audible, etc.

footlooseman likes this.
  10. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I believe this has gone around as Tokyo dream for many years. It appeared to be semi legit as holdsworth didn't acknowledge it but the record label did. About time it sees wider release.

footlooseman likes this.
  11. Wounded Land

This is an unbelievable concert. The band is tight and Allan is just unhinged at times. Great material to choose from too, with those first three solo albums.

God, what a talent.

footlooseman, Fusionfan and Scroller like this.
  12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Where's this sold through?

13. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

14. StarThrower62

Amazon

15. StarThrower62

Not sure if there are any CD/DVD versions left? Only the first 1000 were to include the DVD. Check with vendors before ordering.

16. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Thank You ! In the cart. I only care about the audio. Been waiting for something like this. He's so good. But, live, i can't wait to hear! Thanks all....

17. StarThrower62

Wounded Land likes this.
  18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I wonder if it is copied from the Japanese laser disc, or fresh mastering for the DVD?

19. Always one for more Holdsworth and for his estate to make more money after his being ripped off for years.

20. Wounded Land

Ken Golden, who runs LaserCD, is a good dude who has done a lot for progressive music over the years. Support him whenever you can!

footlooseman and Fusionfan like this.
  21. StarThrower62

Email him before you order to make sure he's got something in stock.

22. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I knew Ken from long ago way before he started that company.

footlooseman likes this.
  23. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Seems to me the Audio on the DVD could have been done PCM (Lossless) or at least with a higher bit rate than the stingy lossy 256KB they used! 640KB would have been possible and still fit on a single layer DVD or PCM on double. To me that is not excusable as the audio on the Laserdisc was CD quality and that was 25 years ago! The video itself is a nice as I've ever see it.

The CD mastering is OK but not great. I compared a few tracks am leaning a bit towards the 1997 . Although unauthorized by Allan it was still an official release in some country's. The new issue contains 3 additional tracks of course.

Overall a decent set and a way to help out the family, but the bitrate and gliches on the DVD to me cheapened the effort.

Please note my comments do not refer to the performance which for 25 years now I've considered great.

Yes at approx 21:57/8

The one near 43:38 is quite annoying as its more severe than the 21:57/8 . I do not recall my Laserdisc rip containing those glitches but I'll have to verify that.

24. Scroller

There's actually a THIRD glitch on mine in one of the tunes after the one at 43:38! :sigh: I'll have to watch it again to find out where it was exactly...

25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I bought this a week or two ago and still got the dvd, which was what i wanted it for

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.