Allman Brothers 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrocker, Mar 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I’m sure there’s some stuff :)

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Sounds like you skipped right over the post with the big news in it...:laugh:

ARK likes this.
  3. Myke

I'm figuring Kevin Reeves will do the mastering.

4. pool_of_tears

Maybe we could eventually get a live 1975 set, or (pipe dream) a deluxe edition of Win, Lose or Draw, similar to the Brothers and Sisters set

5. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Not a lot of set list changes in that era.

Wonder if all 3 shows were recorded and if there were any guests?

6. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

7. Myke

8. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

9. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good! Thread Starter

Thanks Argus, yes I am a member of Hittin thd Web but it has slowly been dwindling after the band retired.

I read in the Summer 2002 issue of Hittin the Note Magazine in an article about the 12/13/70 American University vault release that they may have some additional Mike Callahan tapes from 1970/71 that Betts old guitar tech Larry Brantley found.

Also read an interview with Butch Trucks that they have some Duane era New Orleans Warehouse tapes he wanted to see released. I have several Warehouse shows on bootleg but it would be awesome if they released some officially as they are stellar shows IMO.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  10. Myke

I've asked a Gort to merge this thread with another one just started about the new archival release.

11. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I'm a bit surprised that the ABB organization is letting a new release be broadcast....especially if it is not being released for several months.

I suspect this will be out there and available shortly after it is broadcast.

12. Myke

After 50 years, it's a non-issue.

13. classicrocker

The Hittin the Note magazine article mentioned they have master tapes from 72, 73 and several from 1975 so hope your wish comes true.

walrus likes this.
  14. Myke

I'm going to do a search to see how many times you've posted this, Mike. What would a DE of Win, Lose, Or Draw sound like I wonder ? Six individuals doing only their parts, because there were never more than 2 of them in the studio at the same time, according to Producer Johnny Sandlin.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  15. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

So it is just going to be only part of one show?

16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, an expanded studio set wouldn’t be much, but I’d love a live comp from that era. Not their high point, but surely a nice set could be compiled picking and choosing from available 75-76 shows, similar to Play All Night a few years ago, as a sort of companion to Wipe the Windows. I’d enjoy it.

17. classicrocker

Any of the insiders here know the status of the 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival video tape that, last I heard, was in private hands. There was a clip Butch Trucks streamed years ago on his blog I believe that was amazing before he had to take it down.

Here is a snippet on YouTube

Ricardo Cosinaro likes this.
  18. pool_of_tears

I can’t apologize for it, though :) I’ve a soft spot for the album. It could easily be a 3 cd set. It doesn’t have to be 4 discs. I’m sure there are a few interesting things from those sessions that remain unreleased. Butch once said they played High Falls so many times, until they got it perfect...sucking all of the life from it. I wonder if any of the earlier takes are more interesting. And, of course, there’s also live material.

19. Myke

Not since January 31st : 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival, new documentary coming.

20. Myke

Butch was being colorful again.
    Read Johnny Sandlin's book, no more than two members at a time were ever in the studio together. I tend to believe Johnny over Butch. He had to piece the entire album together.

21. pool_of_tears

I’ve heard stuff from 1975 and they sounded pretty tight. By the time 1976 rolled around, it was clear they were a musical dumpster fire. There’s 2 1976 shows circulating, and it’s clear to anyone who cares to listen: Chuck, Lamar and Jaimoe were on the same page....while Gregg, Dickey and Butch were elsewhere. And Gregg’s voice sounds hoarse. I guess the breakup was bound to happen.

walrus likes this.
  22. pool_of_tears

Oh, I can’t doubt any of it. Knowing how Capricorn operated, I’m sure they rolled a lot of tape. Look at the 1974 tour rehearsals...held and recorded in Capricorn studios. And all of the stuff on the Brothers and Sisters set...great stuff.

23. Myke

1975 was not the best time for me to be seeing them live for the first time.

seed_drill likes this.
  24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That's why I think a compilation is the way to go. I'd also take more stuff from '73-'74 as well as part of it...but I don't need a ton of complete shows (aside from may a proper release of NYE '73?) from that era, but certainly there's 3-4 hours of A-grade stuff to be culled from the available tapes, and songs that weren't covered on Wipe The Windows or the '73 Winterland show.

Also would enjoy the same thing covering the '79-'81 era, even though I know it's not a high point. But lots of songs they'd never play again in later incarnations that would be interesting to hear.

clhboa likes this.
  25. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

In the very early 70s the band was known as " The Most Popular Band In The World"

We called them that for a good reason....they fn were!

I'm exclusively a Duane & Berry era cat , but still nice to see subsequent generations still enjoying the remnants of the once mighty ABB

Vic_1957 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.