Allman Brothers 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrocker, Mar 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good! Thread Starter

That is the theory on the ABB forum that the circulating recordings claimed to be from the 29th are bogus and made up of various dates. The post also says the show on the 29th may have been at Winterland and not the Fillmore West.

I love WGV but not sure I trust the information for some of their recordings and the dates are accurate. I wonder how much they actually research them.

I imagine we may get more info on content as the release date gets closer.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

That Duane site I linked has yet to ever let me down, btw.

3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

There's also a bunch of dates from Feb 1968 for Hendrix where one site has it listed as the Fillmore but others at Winterland, seems to be a not uncommon mistake. :)

classicrocker likes this.
  4. Myke

Both on the west coast, both owned by Bill Graham, yeah, I can see that.

5. John Harchar

But would Bill make them play the Fillmore, have them go to Winterland for one night, then send them back to the Fillmore? Thank God we'll have a box to settle this, let them figure it out! :D

Edit-just checked, Hendrix couldn't have played the Fillmore West in Feb 1968 because it was still the Carousel!

Myke likes this.
  6. Myke

If he had a bigger band for the Fillmore that night, yeah, I can see him doing that. Knowing his personality.

trd likes this.
  7. John Harchar

Yeah, Bill would do that!

trd and Myke like this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I might have already been posted but here's a great live version of Dreams from the Live at Ludlow Garage album.

The Allman Brothers Band - Live At Ludlow Garage 1970

There's a version of Dreams on this video footage from Fillmore East on 9/23/70. Audio and video is not the best but any video footage of Duane playing is incredible!

Spadeygrove and Tuck1977 like this.
  9. John Harchar

Why couldn't Gregg's mic have worked for the whole song? :cry:

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Not sure. But as I posted the audio and video is not the best. In other words better than nothing I guess. But it's one of few videos of ABB with Duane.

11. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I know this sort of happened with Cream in 1968. They played a couple nights at the Fillmore Auditorium (which is NOT the same venue as the Fillmore West, which hadn't yet opened under that name at the time of Cream's stand in March 1968) and then three more nights at Winterland. Songs from these shows made up the live half of their Wheels of Fire album, where they were mostly incorrectly noted as "live at the Fillmore", when most of them were truly from the Winterland shows.

By the time of the ABB's visit in early 1971, Graham was no longer doing shows at the Fillmore Auditorium as he had by then opened the Fillmore West, which was his primary focus in SF. Even Winterland was less utilized by Graham when the Fillmore West was operating. After the latter venue was closed, Graham moved his focus back to Winterland for the remainder of the 1970s and then eventually went back to the Fillmore Auditorium in the 1980s. The Fillmore Auditorium (now just known as "The Fillmore") remains an active music venue in SF today. Winterland was demolished around 1983 after having been vacant for a few years and the Fillmore West (previously the Carousel Ballroom) was turned into a car dealership for about 40 years. The dealership recently closed and there have since been movements to preserve the building due to its music history. I think there have even been a couple of small concerts held recently in the former Carousel/Fillmore West space on the upper floor.

12. Myke

Everybody was so stoned, accurate record keeping was impossible. :laugh:

13. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I still have my CDRs of the shows that Skip Littlewood mastered for the Archive series back in about 2006 - here's what's on them,

01/30/71

Stateboro Blues (4:25)
    Trouble No More (3:57)
    Don't Keep Me Wonderin' (3:29)
    Tuning (1:05)
    In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed (11:37)
    Stormy Monday (9:11)
    You Don't Love Me (16:23)
    Whipping Post (16:03)

01/31/71

Statesboro Blues (4:29)
    Trouble No More (4:08)
    Don't Keep Me Wonderin' (3:40)
    Tuning (0:49)
    In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed (12:57)
    Midnight Rider (3:29)
    Hoochie Coochie Man (5:36)
    Dreams (10:49)
    You Don't Love Me (15:44)

Hot 'Lanta (6:32)
    Whipping Post (21:25)
    One Way Out (5:08)
    Mountain Jam (45:50)

The MJ definitely is NOT from Fillmore West - it sounds like a very different source & was obviously put on there as "filler". Sadly, I'm not easily able to access my old mail archives, from when Skip sent me the discs, so I can't verify when/where this came from, or whether it was intended to be on the final offical product or not.

Great music all round - I'll be very interested to see if they use his mastering on the final product (it'd be a fitting tribute to a guy who did so much to get the music out there).

14. classicrocker

Thanks for sharing! You are a lucky man to have those CDR's! Interesting there is nothing from the 29th so I wonder if they really found the tape from that date or if the Sirius Broadcast is another date?

In any case I thought the mastering on the broadcast was excellent for being 2 track SB's so if it was Skip's he did an incredible job. IMO if you liked the Bear Fillmore Archive release you will like this when it comes out if the other shows included are as good.

15. John Harchar

Not your fault, it happened back in 1970! :D

Bill Mac likes this.
  16. John Harchar

That's right, only Toad is actually from the Fillmore.

robcar likes this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

A lot of good stuff was happening back in 1970 ;). By the time the mid 70's came around I was in the thick of the mayhem :eek::help::winkgrin:!

18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

IIRC, Butch, along with Kirk West, was the guy who was invested in the short-lived archives concert release series. This is a reminder that he wanted some of the Warehouse material out there, and likely had plans for it before the archives release series was folded up.

hoggydoggy and classicrocker like this.
  19. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

I have the same version of Capt Skipper's remaster of

01/30/71

Stateboro Blues (4:25)
    Trouble No More (3:57)
    Don't Keep Me Wonderin' (3:29)
    Tuning (1:05)
    In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed (11:37)
    Stormy Monday (9:11)
    You Don't Love Me (16:23)
    Whipping Post (16:03)

(Aborted Archive Release, Remastered Soundboard Recording. Labelled as non-tradeable)

I also have a Capt Skipper remaster of the 01/28/71 show
    (although not sure what version as i remember Capt Skipper often did more than one remaster)

Contents:

1. Intro
    2. Statesboro Blues
    3. Trouble No More
    4. Don't Keep Me Wonderin'
    5. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
    6. Midnight Rider (listed as Midnite Rider)
    7. Dreams
    8. You Don't Love Me
    9. Whipping Post

There are also bootlegs from this show pre-dating Capt Skipper's remasters. One of them is called "Keep On Pushin'". On 2 discs in stead of 1 and not
    listing "Intro".

I also have a cdr from 01/31/71 but ommiting "Don't Keep Me Wonderin'", "You Don't Love Me" and "Mountain Jam".

20. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Bill Mac likes this.
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

There is also a version of Dreams on the Live at the Atlanta Pop Festival July 3 & 5, 1970 release as well.

classicrocker and Bill Mac like this.
  22. classicrocker

Been listening to the Atlanta Pop vinyl this past week while preparing dinner and it is an amazing sounding live release.

I really hope whoever is hoarding the video will release it in my lifetime.

Yankeefan01 and John Fell like this.
  23. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Mountain Jam at almost 46mins oh boy.

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I really like the Atlanta release.

25. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Bill did this regularly. During Led Zeppelin's run in April 1969 they played four shows thurs-sun April 24th-27th The first show was at Fillmore West, the next two at Winterland and the final on the sunday night back at Fillmore West. Whenever he thought shows would draw bigger crowds (like a friday or saturday night) he would just move them to Winterland. This has created a bit of confusion for historians because sometimes these changes were made late in the game and it's tough to figure out 50 years later where exactly certain gigs took place. But ya, Bill definitely would move the show to Winterland even potentially at the last minute if he felt demand would exceed what the Fillmore West could hold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.