Alright, CD players, let's see what we can agree on.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PinkIsTheSky, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PinkIsTheSky

PinkIsTheSky Old Blues Man Thread Starter

I wont be able to upgrade my phono rig for at least a few months, how did the Phono stage on the HINT compare to the JC3+?

I'm interested how the P6 Phono stage is, I think they share parts with the HINT.

2. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

I caved in year ago. It's the definition of a giant killer m

3. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

The phono stage on the P6 is solid, it's quiet and does the job. Due to the low gain on the MC stage, it doesnt mate well with LOMC.

I've compared it to a Park Puffin and a Lounge LCR Tube, and the P6 can hold it's own.

4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

The phono on the HINT sounds good. The JC3+ sounds wonderful. It's a big difference, so different it makes me wonder if a better DAC or a CD player would give a similar improvement.

5. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I would look at the used market to get the best player I can for the money. Preferably from a local dealer where you can see the unit in action and where you might get support if it fails early. I know people warn about it, but I have never had bad luck buying used CD players - just exercise some common sense. The most unreliable players I have owned have been new Rega's.

Personally, I favor dedicated over universal players. If built to the same standard, there is no reason why a universal player should beat a dedicated player for music. Oppo, being in high demand, tends to also have a price premium if I'm not mistaken. Disclaimer: I haven't heard a 5 model Oppo in a 2 channel rig.

TimB likes this.
  6. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

P6 has a decent DAC - probably better than in most "budget" CD players. I'd get a decent transport for CD duties - can't recommend the Cambridge Audio CXC highly enough.

Brother_Rael and displayname like this.
  7. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I am presently running an Oppo 103 which I use purely as a digital source for my PS Audio Direct Stream DAC. By employing some special adapter boards I am able to have a 2-box SACD player by doing this.

I'm doing this after having spent big bucks on a Sony SCD-1 a number of years ago which became non-serviceable when its main drive bearing cracked. Basically I'm fed-up with very expensive players which are destined to become large expensive paperweights. Hence why I am such a big fan of using Oppos as transports (as well as for video).

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    PinkIsTheSky likes this.
  8. PinkIsTheSky

I realize now that I can't afford the 205 anyhow due to its lack of availability.

The going price for the 203 seems to be right around 800-1000 bucks. Not too bad, and again, I wouldn't be opposed to having great video quality with my sound. Id rather not have to get a dedicated 4k player down the line... I'm still not 100% one way or another on where I am going with this, it sucks that there are really no super great players out there for a reasonable price right now.

9. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

It's more like I expect this based upon Oppo's superb past track record of laser longevity. But I have already procured a few extra Oppo lasers for that time, for perhaps 15 to 20 years down the road when I expect that it will be needing a new laser.

Ham Sandwich and PinkIsTheSky like this.
  10. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Rotel
    RCD-1572

TSWisla and Randy Goldberg like this.
  11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Oppo's still standing behind their guarantees, even down here in Argentina ! And you won't notice the difference between a 103 and a 203 with you rig (or mine, for case), either with the built-in DACs or an external one. That's for really high-end rigs. We're mid-fi man !

Now you're talking ! That Yam is 1.3K vs 1.9K for the new 203. Don't buy used unless you know for sure the owner used it very little.

12. PinkIsTheSky

Mid-Fi for life probably lmao, I found a decent BDP 105 for 800 which seems like a pretty fair price, they claim little use.

Do you think this Yammy would be a good investment? It's awfully large for a dedicated CD player.

The Pinhead likes this.
  13. The Pinhead

It's a beauty, but ask yourself whether you'll be able to hear a difference or not. Our Pioneer amps sound great but are not as detailed as a high end amp. But if you won't play SACDs get the U$ 300 CD-300S. It's all you'll need. I bought my Oppo BDP-103D some weeks ago, NOS (only possible in the 3d world. Cost me a grand (the Yam retails for 800, so it was a no-brainer, plus I wanted a great BDP so two birds with one stone, plus all kind of files). The 203 retails for 2K and the 205 for 4K here if you can believe it.

PinkIsTheSky likes this.
  14. PinkIsTheSky

Its crazy how much the prices have gone up from their original listing. If I am going to get just purely a CD player the Onkyo becomes an option again. I don't know why I'm telling myself I need SACD playback capability. Im trying to think if the Oppo is Overkill for what i'm looking for.

I was thinking I will probably get the new Xbox next year which promises up to 8k video, which would negate half the use of the Oppo.

Do you think the Oppo would be worth it as a dedicated transporter unit?

I am going to be buying a dedicated laptop and harddrive to store my main music files on for media server use, however I can't help but think that the wide range of file formats available on the Oppo may come in handy down the line. But what could the Oppo play that a computer couldn't?

This has been a rough decision. One I shouldn't even be focused on, I've spent way too much already on this Hi-Fi Drug. Im finally purchasing the P6 and Halo A21 this Friday, hopefully getting a CD player the following week. If I am not entirely blown away I don't know how I will feel. Lol.

grbluen and The Pinhead like this.
  15. The Pinhead

Ooops ! That's stuff is up to snuff with any CDP. Either I missed that part or you didn't mention it before (bets on I missed it). If you're going hard drive the money is better spent on a dedicated DAC then. I'm more of a silver disc man. To think I was gonna mention you'd love the volume control on the Oppo with your vintage amp:o

16. csawan

csawan Forum Resident

The Cambridge Audio CXC seems to be one to look at.

17. PinkIsTheSky

Don't get me wrong, I love my Pioneer and wont be getting rid of it. That was my first taste of what better sound actually is, I've gotten her refurbished and she sounds great. I don't believe I mentioned my next purchases it in this thread!

I am just kind of flopping around, I don't really know what to expect or whats judged to harshly. Once my world is opened up with these new components I guess I'll find out. I just wish it was easier to find something nice and reliable.

18. PinkIsTheSky

What if I wanted just a pure CD Transport? I do not need an internal DAC after all....

19. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

I’m running my laptop w/ a CD drive directly into the P6 via USB. CD’s sound every bit as good as their comparable files. I wouldn’t waste money on a CDP unless your into SACD, etc.

20. PinkIsTheSky

I guess my main reason for wanting a CD player is so I can have quick and visible access to whatever I have in my collection. I feel using my Laptop, I'd just be more inclined to use digital files instead of putting a CD into it and playing it.

Whereas with Vinyl I can see a record, it might catch my eye, and then I wanna play it.

I'm thinking that could be comparable to CDs. Plus just for showing off my gear, I'd like the ease of just popping a CD in and leaning back.

Im looking into the Cambridge CXC and thinking that may be my best bet

But the Onkyo is looking pretty good too at that price... Hmmm

Im all over the place.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    punkmusick and wgb113 like this.
  21. The Pinhead

It had so many bad reviews on Amazon, they no longer carry it. Hundreds of horror stories. They sell it down here, on the cheap, like Teac; gave those 2 a hard pass. You're undecided; lots of interesting options, truly a First World problem;)

How long have you had your Pioneer ? I bought mine, used, in 1993 ! You may also consider devoting some of that budget to room treatments; the room is the most important part of it, and can make the best system sound like kerrap.

Transports I dunno the first thing about. But if I went PC audio, I wouldn't look back.

Good luck with your quest and please keep us posted; you sound like a good fella.

PinkIsTheSky likes this.
  22. PinkIsTheSky

But the Onkyo is looking pretty good too at that price... Hmmm

Thank ya my man, I am definitely undecided as far as this portion of my journey goes. You sound like a pretty good guy too! I am a younger guy getting way ahead of my league as far as these things go.

I just got into serious audio about 5 years ago, I got the old Pioneer SA and matching Tuner about 3 years ago from a relative at a good price. I have an SAE 2200 I left at my cottage, I'd love to have that to test on these Polk Speakers.

I just picked up these Polk LSiM 707s about 2 weeks ago.

After getting the Polks I couldn't help myself, floodgates are opened. I want as close to top of the line I can afford as soon as possible.

bever70 and The Pinhead like this.
  23. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

For the $, the 7030 is hard to beat. I bought one for my brother...nothing but good reports from him (I got a refurb for something like 130...ridiculous). I myself might buy one if needed. A sorta big deal for me, though, is a jog dial...not all that common nowadays.

24. The Pinhead

Sure; those are terrific speakers:righton:. You just need to make up your mind on the digital front end. Take your time; don't rush it

25. Bert Oz

Bert Oz Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.