Alternate/Fantasy MONKEES albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by VeeFan64, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pacandj

pacandj Forum Resident

Thanks. My version of Tear The Top would be Peter's, the lyrics fit his quirky-style so well, I like the interlude when he says "sittin' by a firelight coffee cups for two", it's so Thorkelson, although IMO the Missing Links version sounds better than the Birds box set version. The original Birds always fell flat for me because it had a unsatisfying feel to it, one of the few albums where the diverse choices didn't gel. For instance Writing Wrongs, which I now love on the expanded set sticks out like a sore thumb on the original. I also felt I'll Be Back Upon My Feet should have been left off, it belonged on More Of The Monkees. I guess my choices are based on getting Pete into the mix and having a more cohesive sound. Also, Goin' Down is much more representative of the guys work at the time than ..Back Upon My Feet. If they were sticking with the formula of giving Davy a ballad than We Were Made For Each Other would have to stay in and Peter would only get one cut.

2. HolsteMan

HolsteMan Forum Resident

Nicely reasoned! Yeah, that all makes sense.

3. HolsteMan

HolsteMan Forum Resident

Hmm, not many people seemed into the challenge. No worries; it was just a thought. :)

So just to keep this thread alive, here's a completely implausible (but awesomely listenable) version of "Changes," assuming that all the other albums are the same, that Mike stayed with the group, and that Jeff Barry REALLY liked Mike songs.

Side 1
    Of You
    I Don't Think You Know Me
    All the King's Horses
    Nine Times Blue
    St. Matthew
    99 Pounds

Side 2
    Down the Highway
    Some of Shelley's Blues
    My Share of the Sidewalk (Davy vocal)
    Naked Persimmon
    The Crippled Lion
    Hollywood

An unlikely arrangement? Absolutely, but I'd take this playlist any day over, say, The Monkees Present. :)

Here's another random thought: How do record producers decide what order to put songs on albums? Is there a science to it? Is this something you go to school for? I would love to read about how producers actually make this decision. I've tried to search on Google but haven't found any such answer.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

[​IMG]

5. HolsteMan

HolsteMan Forum Resident

LOL, BobT! :laugh:

6. scotlivingston

scotlivingston Forum Resident

CHANGES
    (featuring the First National Band)

SIDE ONE
    1. Oh My My
    2. Joanne
    3. Ticket On A Ferry Ride
    4. You’re So Good To Me
    5. Mama Nantucket
    6. It’s Got To Be Love

SIDE TWO
    7. Acapulco Sun
    8. Tell Me Love
    9. The Keys To The Car
    10. Do You Feel It Too?
    11. I Love You Better
    12. One Rose

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. HolsteMan

HolsteMan Forum Resident

Hooray! The return of the thread! :)

Cool idea to mix in the First National Band. I'm not a fan of "Acapulco Sun," so I wouldn't start Side 2 with that. But that's just my opinion. It's your list, not mine! :D And other than that, it looks great!

8. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

That is so much weaker than Magnetic South that I don't want to even think about it in an alternative reality! :)

After 45 years of collecting music I think Changes is possibly one of the ten worst albums that I've ever bought. Ever. It doesn't want saving, it wants burying.

Now that should reactivate the thread. :)

9. HolsteMan

HolsteMan Forum Resident

I did a version of Changes with a ton of Mike stuff on it, ignoring the other two guys. Now let's see if I can do a more well-balanced version of it.

Side 1
    Oh My My
    You're So Good to Me
    Of You
    Apples, Peaches, Bananas and Pears
    99 Pounds
    Nine Times Blue

Side 2
    I Love You Better
    I Never Thought it Peculiar
    I Don't Think You Know Me (Mike vocal)
    Midnight Train
    Love to Love
    Hollywood

There's an album that I would save rather than bury, fwiw. :D

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. scotlivingston

If you likd Changes (featuring the First National Band) - and not eve I did - you will love...

CHANGES '71
    (featuring the First National Band)

SIDE ONE
    1. Do It In The Name Of Love
    2. Silver Moon
    3. Welcome To My Love
    4. Easy On You
    5. Tengo Amore
    6. I Really Love You

SIDE TWO
    7. Rainy Jane
    8. Lady Jane
    9. Lady of the Valley
    10. Oh Someone
    11. Hello Lady
    12. Girl

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It's still a helluva lot better than "Poop It," and about 10% better than Davy's Bell album.

12. HolsteMan

HolsteMan Forum Resident

Heh heh! Nice job, Scott! :)

13. scotlivingston

CHANGES '81

SIDE ONE
    1. Good Looker
    2. It's Now
    3. Tahiti Condo
    4. To Be Or Not To Be
    5. Since You Went Away
    6. How Do You Know?
    7. Formosa Diner

SIDE TWO
    8. I'll Remember You
    9. Higher and Higher
    10. Beverly Hills
    11. Dance Gypsy
    12. Tanya
    13. Hi Hi Babe
    14. Can She Do It (Like She Dances)
    15. Total Control

Hep Alien, wayne66 and HolsteMan like this.
  14. HolsteMan

HolsteMan Forum Resident

You're getting more and more inventive with these lists!

I was going to come up with a list for a Monkees album post-breakup, but I wanted to remind myself of what Micky and Peter had recorded and when, so I went to Wikipedia. Imagine my surprise that there is no "Micky Dolenz discography" page on Wikipedia! (There's also no Peter page, but that surprises me less. Micky has been very prolific.)

15. scotlivingston

The Clarksville Train Whistle Sings!

SIDE ONE
    1. Where Has It All Gone?
    2. Empire
    3. Impack
    4. Thirteen is Not Our Lucky Number
    5. Lynn Harper
    6. Thank You My Friend
    7. Suzanna Sometime

SIDE TWO
    8. Omega
    9. London Bridge
    10. The Bus That Never Comes
    11. ’Till Then
    12. Tommy Blue
    13. Michigan Blackhawk
    14. Good Afternoon

Hep Alien, Wade, HolsteMan and 2 others like this.
  16. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Now we're talking... I'd camp out at the record shop* for this release.

Slightly dodgy title but on a serious note, "Come on Rhino!"

17. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Really? I mean, it's a pretty listenable pop album when you get down to it. There's not a lot of classic stand-out tracks, although I really do love "Ticket on a Fairy Ride", but the majority of the cuts on there are catchy enough, if quite lightweight. I can't understand detesting it to such an extent that it's one of the ten worst albums you've ever bought, but then obviously it's just not your cup of tea.

On certain days I like Changes better than Present, though it does lack a classic single such as "Listen to the Band".

18. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I agree it's the weak link among their original albums, but "Oh My My" is a pretty nice piece of funky bubblegum...

19. HolsteMan

HolsteMan Forum Resident

Just for random fun, I'm going to list the albums as they would be if they followed the order that the songs went on the air. So, for instance, the first two songs (after the theme, of course) are from "Royal Flush" and so on.

However, at some points all the Mike songs or Davy songs or Micky songs would all group together, so I'm going to take some creative liberties to space things out.

THE MONKEES

Side One

Theme
    This Just Doesn't Seem to Be My Day
    Take a Giant Step
    Last Train to Clarksville
    The Kind of Girl I Could Love
    Tommorrow's Gonna Be Another Day

Side Two

Saturday's Child
    I Wanna Be Free
    Let's Dance On
    Sweet Young Thing
    (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone
    All the King's Horses

Next will be the "More Of" list. But I'll wait a bit (maybe tomorrow) before posting it. I don't want to overload you all with too much at once, as I have in the past! :)

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

yes, but you probably should have included both versions of I Wanna Be Free o_O

21. HolsteMan

HolsteMan Forum Resident

There were never two versions of the same song on the original albums, so I followed that rule here.

While the pilot episode was filmed first, "Success Story" aired first, so this would likely be the later version, although I prefer the earlier one.

What's fascinating is that the first album only covers 8 episodes! "More Of" covers almost 20 of them.

22. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Yeah, but if you only use songs from the episodes, then we won't get beloved fan favorite "The Day We Fall in Love" on an album and I'm sure none of us could handle that!

23. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

I thought of compiling an early 70's "Monkees" CD like this at one point, and this is quite a cool tracklist. Whether it's actually listenable or simply wants to make you listen to the Nez albums his tracks are pulled from is up for debate. Still, it would be cool to see some artwork...where's Michelle66 when you need her??

24. HolsteMan

HolsteMan Forum Resident

Ha ha ha! :D

"The Day We Fall in Love" is a track I refuse to acknowledge, even in REAL LIFE! :p

BadJack likes this.
  25. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

When I put together my alternate reality Monkees set, I used the authentic early track lineup for PAC&J.

But, I couldn't really think up a decent angle for the sleeve, so I pretty much went with the released one.

Well, I recently learned about the existence of the photograph the illustration of the Monkees was based on, so it seemed like a good time to redo the alternate PAC&J cover. (And thanks to Mr. Schneider for his idea of using a field of green foliage instead of the field of sunflowers I had originally tried.)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.