Alternate/Fantasy MONKEES albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by VeeFan64, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Did you mean to say Frodis instead of Folliage? :whistle:
    That cover looks great!

2. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

It's great; I get relaxed just looking at it. And quite hungry, come to think of it.

3. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Michelle, you are THE best. What a fantastic cover!!! Ron

mr_mjb1960 likes this.
  4. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

Welcome back Michelle!

5. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Thanks, but I never really completely left.

As I've written before, I don't care for the software they're now using to power the forum. The new search function is beyond useless and the whole look and feel of the site is lacking (IMO).

So, I now just pop in from time to time, get my fill (which takes about a minute), and leave.

I remembered this thread from before so I could add the post above. (Oh, and thanks to everyone for their kind words about the sleeve! :) )

dangiedr likes this.
  6. HolsteMan

HolsteMan Forum Resident

AMAZING work, Michelle! Thanks for sharing with us! :)

7. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

Ah, I figured maybe you and Mr. Schneider had joined an Alternate Reality Steve Hoffman forum someplace. Fantastic job on the cover, once again!

8. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Not having Mr. Schneider and Michelle66 around made me appreciate how much they contributed. Just not the same anymore. That's an awesome cover from Michelle.

I wound up using the Tan color scheme and dimming my monitor a tad, which helped a lot (not that you, especially, the graphics queen, would need any graphic advice from me :) ), but otherwise....yeah...you're right. Not as nice as the old place. It's too bad that the software seems to have driven you and maybe Mr. Schneider away (well, I guess, since he hated it too judging by his comments). Thanks for the Pisces contribution.

9. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'm actually listening to the Micky Moog album she whipped up ("Mellow Psycho-Jello From That Fuzzy-Headed Fellow").... this is actually one of the coolest things I've heard in a while.

It's funny how a fan's tossed-together fantasy album is so much more entertaining than, say, "Electronic Sound."

Wade likes this.
  10. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

When I first started doing my "alternate reality", I hadn't planned on doing the first album.

But, having that hole in the collection bugged me, so after pondering things for some time, two ideas came to mind.

Up first is the "lost" album that Colpix did the art for (and made a mockup) right after the series was sold. It was to be a straight soundtrack LP, with the Monkees clearly being depicted as actors.

Micky and Mike are still using their respective pseudonyms, and Mike is still referred to as "Wool Hat".

Since this was well before the group recorded any tracks, the Colpix art department left the area for the song list open.

Eventually, Colpix was wound down, so their version of the Monkees' first LP never got past the prototype stage.

[​IMG]

The group's first album finally saw release on the new Colgems label.

Like the Colpix LP, the first album on Colgems was still presented as a soundtrack to the TV series.

And like other soundtrack albums of the day, the Monkees' first album featured clips of dialogue with the music. Some of the clips were funny bits from the show, while others segued into the songs as seen on TV.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I think this now finishes my alternate reality LP series. (Now, it's time to do the sleeves from the group's 45s.)

11. 905

905 Senior Member

Wonderful as usual, Michelle66

And next we are going to get 45 sleeves!

12. pacandj

pacandj Forum Resident

Awesome Michelle, it's funny I was just having a discussion with a fellow fan about the rear jacket of the 1st album and how I thought it was a mistake to present the Monkees as a band (ie: Davy plays guitar) rather than a singing cast, I think that led to the subsequent negative press and ridiculous "fake" issue. Your new one with their short bios is smashing!

13. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

More great stuff! I wonder how The Monkees would be viewed today if their initial album was presented as such.

14. mikew

mikew Forum Resident

I love your PAC&J cover Michelle. Another amazing creation.

15. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

If their initial album had been done that way, with no controversy over their legitimacy, and no way to fool the fools, would Headquarters have happened at all? If it would, then would it have been viewed as an innocent "we're gonna try this ourselves as a real band for 1 album to see how it turns out", then, "this didn't work as well as we'd hoped, so let's go back to the old way with us having more say in the music", but with about the same amount of controversy as someone as innocent as The Archies or The Partridge Family?

The active haters would be almost non-existent, right? Just indifference among those who don't care for them.

16. pacandj

pacandj Forum Resident

If the first album presented them like a Broadway cast, similar to Michelle's concept, and the 2nd album just had rear photos instead of that ass**** ego-trip by Kirshner, Headquarters would have been viewed for what it was, four entertainers so committed to the concept, they were willing to work much harder than necessary to make their project as authentic as possible. They should have been congratulated for their efforts instead of (still) putting up with the "fake band" non-sense, absolutely ridiculous.

Wade likes this.
  17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I love that cover!

18. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

The thing about that is, I think the people who call them a "fake band" not only have no idea they even did an album as a "real band," but (in my experience talking to some people) they "know" the Monkees were not musicians because they remember it being reported that way at the time. So (the reasoning goes) anyone claiming Headquarters was actually performed by the four Monkees must be mistaken or delusional. What is Headquarters anyway? They don't know any of those songs. Davy Jones once said in some interview that Neil Sedaka sings background vocals on "Daydream Believer," therefore Neil Sedaka sings background vocals on "Daydream Believer." Don't even bother offering to play Headquarters Sessions for them. Not interested, no point, since the Monkees never "played their own instruments" and everyone knows it.

Of course, you are correct in your comments above. The fact that these guys from the cast of a TV sitcom actually got together and made a real album is pretty cool and impressive. Except that "everyone knows" there's no way they could have really done it.

19. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

I thought I'd share these photo's of the mock up album design by Neko Cholis (from the inspired idea of Micky) he was working on for an elaborate greatest hits design. Naturally it was rejected as this would have been way over budget and extremely difficult to manufacture. This is an original and one of a kind mock up. Enjoy

Attached Files:

20. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

Here are a few more.

Attached Files:

21. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Nice pics of your prototype! (But, one of the illustrations of Mike sure is creepy!) Thanks for sharing!

Now, that's one wacky line-up of tracks! (Greatest "hits"....? o_O)

Is this right?:

Side One
    1. Daydream Believer
    2. She
    3. You and I
    4. Just a Game
    5. Salesman
    6. You Told Me

Side Two:
    1. Circle Sky
    2. Zor & Zam
    3. While I Cry
    4. Mary, Mary
    5. Tear Drop City
    6. I'm A Believer

"Just a Game"...? Honestly? (The track listings must have been compiled by the same person who put "The Day We Fall In Love" on the "Golden Hits" compilation....! :D )

22. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

That is one bizarre track list! I think I need to try that one out.

23. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Listing Davy on 'guitar' is about as honest as "Vocals by the Brothers of Soul: Rob and Fab".... :p

The Keymaster likes this.
  25. Mr. Bob Dobalena

Mr. Bob Dobalena Forum Resident

That would have been a smashing way to do the 1st album. "The Kids" would have loved the snippets of dialogue. Colgems could have used you back in the day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.