Alternatives when your amp is in the shop

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Madness, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

There are so many great vintage power amps out there. You can pick up something that will rival your main amp, I'm sure, for relatively little money.
    Then it becomes a desirable option to swap in to your system, irrespective of the repair situation.

Coltrane811 likes this.
  2. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear." Thread Starter

The hard part is tracking something down.

Found out the left channel is blown, so they have to get a replacement from Parasound. Could be 3 weeks.....

3. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

just checking your local Craigslist throws up a myriad of options around $250.

Coltrane811 likes this.
  4. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Sing..?

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Soundbar. Soundcore makes a great one.

6. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

My solution is to have a rack of spares stuffed in a corner of my listening room.........you just never know when disaster may strike:shake:
    [​IMG]

Tullman and aunitedlemon like this.
  7. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Nice freakin backup plan!

motorstereo likes this.
  8. Buy a kazoo and play your own interpretation of your favourite tunes :)
    That or take up ukulele.

9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

always good to have a good old amp at the ready. many bargains out there that work perfectly.

10. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

My solution is the best.

11. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear." Thread Starter

You getting kickbacks? Lol

12. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Hardly but, I have 4 of these modules and in a pinch there outstanding.

Madness likes this.
  13. Batty

Batty Forum Resident

Not a problem for me as I am a box swapper, sometimes I listen to an MF A1 or Copland CSA29 then again I sometimes use my DIY First Watt M2x or Pass ACA with Elekit Tu8500 ot B1 korg pre amps.
    I also have a denon PMA250 II and a Luxman L-1 gathering dust.

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

My '59 Fisher X-100 amp was out of commission for much of last year. Fortunately I had a Rega Brio-R to use as a backup.

I've since sold the Brio-R, however. If the Fisher ever goes down again, my plan would be to just use my Sennheisers and Bottlehead Crack.

[​IMG]

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have a NAD 272 power amp that I have used for backup. It's not nearly as good as my CAT, but it does an acceptable job. Losing the preamp is another story. None of the other preamps in the house are acceptable.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

this!

17. AL01

AL01 Eh?

Not very useful, but I am using my laptop to listen to music while my integrad is getting serviced.

Speakers are satisfactory, (for what they are). I'm sure you could find nicer computer speakers for cheap, (I see Harman Kardon ones at thrift stores every now and then. Not saying they are the best or anything, but I am sure that they will suffice.)

18. Brad2021hk

Brad2021hk Forum Resident

Personally, I would take the opportunity to build a DIY amplifier. Like a FirstWatt Aleph, F5 or F6. That's a fun project. I built an F6 a year or so ago. Maybe something like the Akitika power amplifier if I wanted a kit and Class AB power. I'm sure there are a variety of options. You might even find yourself selling your primary amplifier when it comes back from the shop.

If I didn't want to do DIY amplifier, I would probably then look at used stereo amplifiers, which are super easy to find. An Ebay search for "2-channel power amplifier" brings up a bunch of stuff. I bought an Onkyo/Integra power amplifier for $102.50 including shipping a few years ago. I keep it in storage...just in case. It's totally fine.

If I didn't want DIY or to mess with used gear, I would probably just get a class-D desktop amplifier. I happen to have a SMSL Q5pro lying around, which would totally plug in as a direct replacement for your power amp allowing you to use all your existing stuff. You just connect the speakers and the pre-amp to the line-in. That thing is like $140. You can probably get one without the DAC and remote cheaper.

19. UCrazyKid

UCrazyKid Grand Puba of Funk

Borrow from a friend?

Mike-48 likes this.
  20. Stanton56

Stanton56 Forum Resident

I have both those preamps and i like them both. Don’t have much time with the Fosi X2 but i like it so far. Sounds punchy with my AT140XP with ATVM95e cart.

Geordiepete likes this.
  21. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

This is why I have backup amps

22. Stanton56

Stanton56 Forum Resident

Switched out the Fosi X2 to my ATLPW50PB table with the AT-VM95E cart that comes with this table. All i can say is what a difference over the ARTDJ II preamp. Warmer but also more presence ie punchy with more depth. I’m suprised the Fosi sounds better to me. Maybe its just the shiny penny affect.

23. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Start a thread entitled: Which SHMF members system would you most like to hear?

Madness likes this.
  24. Earthbound2

Earthbound2 Forum Resident

Why buy one when you can buy 2 at twice the price. That was my decision when I bought a “temporary” amp that I was going to sell when my other was being built. Now I have a push pull el34 and 300b. Win win! It helps to be single in this regard.

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have a NAD power amp that did a decent job when my CAT power amp had to go in for upgrades. When I had my preamp upgraded there was nothing that would do a decent job so I was screwed. I ended up listening on the back porch system. (no vinyl). I have a spare cartridge, and spare belts for the TT.