Always hum with Rega Exact on Planars?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kristofferabild, May 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident Thread Starter

I installed it yesterday and really like it. I had a Denon DL110 before. Especially voices sound lovely and there is more bass.
    I have a small amount of hum on the last part of the inner groove, but you can only hear it with no music playing.
    Soundstage is also a little bit smaller, but the Exact has more details. All in all happy.

SandAndGlass and eyeCalypso like this.
  2. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

How did you ground the PSU? Can you just back off one of the casing screws and insert a wire and run it to the ground screw on the phono pre amp?

3. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

RP40 and I had hum when I used the Elys and Exact carts as they moved closer to the motor. Problem went away as soon as I changed to my Ortofon 2M Bronze.

4. russk

russk Forum Resident

Missed this sorry. That’s exactly what I ended up doing. Works great.

benzo and Maltman like this.
  5. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

Thanks, I have been living with the buzz/hum because it doesn’t affect things at my normal playing volume. It’s still kind of annoying though, so I’m going to try this.

6. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I sold my Exact 2 two days ago, the buyer installed it on a luxman pd264 tt and tells me he has very strong hum.
    His phono pre is 2m away, cabling is ok and the hum happens whether the motor is on or off ...

I told him I would take it back (he did not send me the cheque yet).

With my RP8 I have absolutely no hum.

So I guess the exact can indeed have hum and it does not necessarily mean a bad cartridge.

He said he tried it on 3 tables and 2 amps...

7. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Do his other tables hum?

8. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Yes, he said he tried all of his tables.

9. needlestein

needlestein GrooveTickler

Just installed a Rega Exact 2 on my SL-1200 and I would say that the Exact hums just like some Grados. Not all Grados hum on this turntable, either. Some are worse than others, but I recently tried a Grado F-3+ and it was dead silent, which was remarkable! The hum also decreases as the arm moves towards the spindle—opposite of Grados, which get louder as the arm moves towards the spindle.

On a positive note, I’ve read a lot of negative reviews and comments about the Exact 2, so I was hesitant to purchase, but holy moly. The hum aside, this cartridge puts a lot of expensive moving coil cartridges to shame.

Now to comment on the looks. I agree. It looks like something you’d buy as a Hong Kong toy from a 25 cent bubble gum type toy capsule vending machine (Do they even have those anymore?)

But after a minute on the arm, you don’t care.

SandAndGlass and Kristofferabild like this.
  10. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

To the people who voted "no", are you absolutely sure you have no hum when you reach the end of the record?

I don't know about RP8/RP10, but the motor in the RP6 is not shielded, and the Exact cart is not shielded, so there should be a considerable amount of hum as you get close to the centre. Sure, it's inaudible when you listen at a low volume for the first couple of tracks, but at least in my case, here's what I get as close as the arm will go towards the centre:

[​IMG]

That's a big hum is peaking at around -58 dB @ 67 Hz (with harmonics following it up towards 1k). When playing a record, it will "only" reach as far as about -63 dB, but still - very audible.

Changing to an MC cart will apparently fix this, but why Rega couldn't get it right with their own cartridge is very disappointing.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    eyeCalypso likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.