Always up for something new: Roon 1.8

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jmrife, Feb 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Mine seems to go fine. I did see my iPad app become responsive the first time I opened it, but after closing it and reopening haven't seen any other issues.

2. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

No problem with the update for me.

3. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

Yep, mine crapped out. (Running it on a mac mini.)

None of the "fixes" worked. Restoring from a backup, reinstall and restore, etc... It would play for about 30 seconds, then stop, and I'd get the "sad database" window.

Other users had the same issue. Roon claim the backups were corrupted already, too bad so sad. But, would be nice to have a rollback option, yes? (Not like "oooh, i don't like the new look" cries from the first 1.8 rollout. This was different.)

Seems they should have a way to help the "this update bricked my core" folks beyond saying "it was bound to happen, sorry."

Don't get me wrong, I love Roon. But this does rather suck.

Only thing that worked was to reinstall Roonserver and start with a fresh (empty) database. It still found all my local files, and it knows what my Tidal/Qobuz libraries should contain, so that was fine. But like Kristofa mentioned, there was a goodly amount of cleanup to the metadata and track/disc info that I'm having to redo.

The positive is that they claim this new version will identify database issues/corruptions on the fly, instead of during an upgrade. Not sure if those issues will be fixed or just identified (whereas you might just have to go back and restore from the last good database), so ahdunno how that works.

Seems most of the users with Nucleus or ROCK/NUC Cores fared better than Windows/Mac users, but it's not a perfect one-to-one. Some macs are fine, and some NUCs had issues. But a cursory glance seemed to indicate a trend.

I've been curious about moving from Mac to something more Roon-focused, but it would be nice to do it on my own terms, vs Roon forcing the obsolescence upon me!

toddfan and Mike-48 like this.
  4. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

Really sorry to hear about your issues with this new update. Reading through some of the complaints and concerns on the Roon Community website, I can tell some folks are having major problem with this "build" unlike the issues with the 1.8 version.
    I love Roon and have a lifelong subscription, and I really hope they can take care of those current issues quickly.

Peace,
    Tony

Mike-48 likes this.
  5. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I updated to 880 yesterday morning. Things worked great for about five hours then I got the corrupted db error. My backups are only ten days back and it backs up every day at 1am. I restored for the oldest backup I had and figured it would fail after a while as well.

I woke up to find the database still running and one successful backup last night at 1am. I am wary to say that I have had a successful restore from backup.

Do you think a successful 880 backup would indicate I dodged the bullet?

Mike-48 likes this.
  6. terzinator

Hopefully. Could be a good guinea pig scenario to see how the new version of Roon deals with db issues.

7. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I don't know enough to cast blame one way or the other. What I do know is that Roon provides automated backups of the user's library (i.e., catalog information). If someone doesn't have them turned on, they should look in the mirror before blaming others.

8. Mike-48

I hope so, both for your sake and because, as a Roon user, I do not like to see anyone having database problems.

9. terzinator

yep, and most users are trying to find a restore point from a month's worth of database backups, with no success. They're all corrupt, and Roon doesn't tell you when there's an issue.

10. Mike-48

Yow! That's terrible.

11. Kristofa

I think this is the real issue. Roon has been lenient in checking the integrity of user databases in the past. They provide an update after five years that finally remedies their leniency, but the integrity check is finding legacy corruption on many user databases.

the real rub here is that the integrity check roll out did not include a way to repair corruption. The solution is to roll back to a pre-corrupted database, and if the legacy corruption dates back to before all existing backups, the solution provided by Roon is to start from scratch.

None of this is the fault of the user.

kentucky_slim, toddfan and Mike-48 like this.
  12. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

yeah that'd be annoying
    no DB issues here with the update, core running on macOS 12.1 monterey

13. IllinoisCheesehead

IllinoisCheesehead Forum Resident

Wow, not good to hear of all the issues people are having with the upgrade. Hope there's a solution for you. I did the 1.8 (build 800) upgrade yesterday. Knock on wood, no issues so far. Core running on Windows 10 Pro version 21H2.

14. Kristofa

So far so good restoring a ten-day old backup. The new integrity check feature is touted as “on the fly”, and I hope that means that Roon checks integrity before each and every backup made in build 880 and beyond. If that is the case, I am out of the woods, methinks. But I am still worried about each skipped track or lost endpoint I am experiencing today. A bit gunshy for a while longer.

Mike-48 likes this.
  15. Mike-48

Yes, exactly.

16. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

I see several forum members referencing both Roon and database together in the same thoughts. AFAIK, Roon may state they have a database, but try to cross check classical music composer vs. conductor vs. artist vs. album... it is rare that Roon behaves as a true database, where such information does cross check. Roon instead uses Primary Artists and album artists in some manner in which it does NOT coincide with the normal artist and albumartist tags, at least in my own experience. Unless the album information you are searching for is specifically stored in the metadata Roon identified specific copy of the album, it is unavailable for search. Roon also typically ignores your own supplied tags such as artist, albumartist, conductor, etc. in searches and links. My previous experience with LMS was better regarding searches.

As far as other things, yep, Roon does lots of other things well... and congratulations on yet another upgrade that was seamless for me...

Mike-48 likes this.
  17. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

I'm having a different problem. I have about a dozen end points, but after the update, it only shows some of them. Some users have had success by disabling all end points and then re-enabling them. I've tried that, but each time different end points don't reappear. There is a work around in that the "Group" dialog does show all end points, but Roon has acknowledged this as a bug. No idea where on the list it is.

18. Kristofa

Roon calls the file that collectively stores the edits, art, unique manipulates, and preferences it’s database. I think that is why forum members use Roon and database in the same breath.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  19. toddfan

toddfan Forum Resident

Lifetime subscriber here who also had database corruption issues....I have a very large library spanning several drives, and all was fine before the update, but after, Roon just kept crashing about 5 seconds after loading. Going through all the steps, I ended up having to uninstall and re-install several times before I finally got an installation that has been running for a couple hours now. To accomplish this, I only selected one very small library for the initial setup, and will add each successive drive after the first one is finished indexing....wish me luck. :help: :D

20. Kristofa

Good luck! My fingers are crossed for you. Let us know how it turns out, please.

21. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

And it now looks like Roon will no longer play files off of NAS... I guess there is a first for everything regarding their updates. I'll try rebuilding... the last time I did it, it took 4 days. It all depends on how hot you want to drive your CPUs...

22. Mike-48

They just released Build 882, which fixes some of the issues discussed. It won't fix corrupted databases.

23. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Just updated my Nucleus to 882 and so far, so good.

24. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

yes, 882 also fixed my bug. Yea!

Neil S. Bulk likes this.
  25. Kristofa

Oh no! Good luck on your rebuild, and I hope you don’t lose anything!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.