Am I getting paranoid, or are old CDs dying on us?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Takehaniyasubiko, Jan 31, 2023.

1. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

Do you live near the coast? I could see that happening with the salty air. It used to eat up cars and trucks in no time back in the 60's.

2. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident Thread Starter

No, but I wasn't the first owner of the CD. Who knows how oxidized it became before I got it? After all, it was the first UK pressing, from 1985.

The FRiNgE and Lowrider75 like this.
  3. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

I'm starting to think the only guaranteed foolproof way to back up your music collection is to upload everything to a cloud service. Hard drives can fail; CD's can apparently now rot; hard drives, vinyl and CD's can be stolen, or damaged or destroyed in a natural disaster such as a flood or fire.

4. Takehaniyasubiko

What if the cloud service's server is destroyed in a terrorist attack, tho?

5. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Or if the sun explodes?

Martyn likes this.
  6. Takehaniyasubiko

We have a date for that. Terrorists can attack at any time!

On a serious note, do you guys think this late 1990s Canadian edition can have a different mastering than the original 1985 CD?

Charlie Sexton - Pictures For Pleasure

The DR values match, but the peak and RMS levels aren't identical...

fogalu likes this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Certainly a solution. I'm not doing it though. We have thousands of cds. Funny thing though. My wife, the great abuser of cds, had me rip and burn copies of some of her favs.

I've had one cd that stopped playing some tracks. It was an Avenue Records War gold cd.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  8. live evil

live evil Senior Member

I still have the very first cd that I ever purchased in January 1986, and I’m sure I have some that are older that I bought used. I’m very picky about condition, and I don’t think I have any that won’t play.

9. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I am convinced that a major cloud provider will have a major data loss at some point, quite likely in the next few years. It won't likely be hardware because they're good at physical redundancy. But a major hack, or a software problem, or an employee (either making a huge mistake or intentionally). I would never trust cloud as my only storage.

Even without that threat, if somebody hacks into your account or PC they can encrypt or delete your online world.

I keep multiple copies of my music and photos, and at least a couple are not connected to any computer and/or in a different physical location at all times. 4TB hard drives are around $100.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I've been thinking...this is a really hard question to answer...having thousands of CDs I have no idea if any failed and I am not about to check them all...as it stands so far, so good...just the expected known defectives we've all been subjected to....

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's why you have to back them up on a HD...

idledreamer likes this.
  12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Of course, anything tangible/physical could go wrong or be affected by something. But this blind faith/trust in "the cloud" as any better is kind of bizarre.

EG.

13. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Compression and-or eq tweaks almost a certainty!

14. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Most of those Cds were Manufactured at a PDO plant in the UK.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  15. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The pinholes are a manufacturing defect. The pinholes can cause a skip, but usually not complete failure. CD rot occurs from delamination of the disc layers, usually at the outer edge. Exposure to O2 oxidizes the foil which turns darker, or bronze in coloration. Pin holes and CD rot are not related.

But Lately, I've had a few scratch-free, normal CD's fail to play. Some begin play normally, and then just suddenly stop. Others will display the TOC but not play, others read as "no disc". I've never had this happen before until recently. The frequency is about 1 out of several hundred, enough to be concerned. Of course I suspected a dirty lens, but the same occurred on my DVD player, and on my laptop CD drive.. no go!

Takehaniyasubiko likes this.
  16. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

Not to get too OT here but in regards to PDO... being that they admitted their discs were subject to disc rot, did they ever have a recall program for people to exchange their defective discs?

17. Takehaniyasubiko

The FRiNgE likes this.
  18. siebrand

siebrand music lover

I tried to buy on Discogs, enticed by the prices of certain CDs, really low.
    but then, each time, one stops before completing the purchase: from the initial price there is no longer a trace, and shipping costs become very high, so that it is much better to buy NEW, whether it is sold in the shop or at Bezos , it does not matter.
    I also find it strange there's given permission for that, but in the end, I don't buy used CDs on the web.
    If it happens to me, very very rarely, in some association it can be find something of interest.
    Anyway, to answer the original question: I think I've been buying CDs since 1989.
    I have only one, out of the approximately 3500, which gives problems (moreover due to my older reader, [although better, in terms of quality]).
    in short.. this "lifetime Warranty".. I think I will never use it (unless I don't live another 200 years...):D

c-eling likes this.
  19. harby

harby Forum Resident

Already done, besides several services that are long gone along with the music that was paid for. MySpace accidentally deleted every song, photo, and video uploaded before 2016

None of these have any obligation to provide any level of service at all. Read the terms.

nosliw, Al Gator and Takehaniyasubiko like this.
  20. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I've had instances where U.S. and Canadian CDs were nearly identical save for small level shifts. I've also had instances where the EQ was way different, the Canadian one was made from a bad copy tape, etc. The only way to know for sure is to use other software like EQ matching plug-ins and so on to check. Merely checking the DR and RMS levels doesn't tell you that much.

22. Takehaniyasubiko

Since the old CD disintegrated, I cannot do that.

Maybe somebody here can compare the 1985 CD of this album to its budget price 1990s pressings?

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Do you have a flac rip of the old CD? Can you find another copy? I would not necessarily rely on subjective comparisons from the peanut gallery here. Could be right, could be wrong. You probably want to start a dedicated thread for this CD.

24. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Forum Resident

My Space was (is?) a Social Media platform, not a Cloud Storage provider, so not really sure that's relevant...

25. Takehaniyasubiko

I do not have a rip of the old CD, and I didn't think this detail warranted a new thread. I just wanted to ask about it on the marginalia of this thread.