Am I OCD or does anyone else save their album liner sleeves?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WvL, Jul 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people Thread Starter

If it has art, words, etc on it, of course it gets saved. but I am collecting a stack of plain album liner sleeves. When I take an album out, i put it back in a static free, upgraded sleeve. Just seems like a waste to throw them away the plain stock sleeve, but why keep them?

Bolster and hi_watt like this.
  2. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Maybe we're all bats#$t OCD crazy? :evil:

sound chaser, BrokenByAudio and WvL like this.
  3. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I always save them - usually leaving them inside along with the record in its upgraded inner sleeve. That way when I eventually downsize and give/sell that record, I can recover the nice inner sleeve and put it back in the original sleeve. 'Original' rules with vintage records, and I can use that plastic-lined sleeve again. Not crazy...!!!...!!!:cheers:

4. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people Thread Starter

Smart...hadn't thought about that

RTurner likes this.
  5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Speak for yourself. Trash goes into the garbage can. In what capacity these things ever be useful ever again? White paper sleeves get thrown into the recycle bin.

Budley, bever70 and BeauZooka like this.
  6. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

I place the LP in a MoFi sleeve then the MoFi sleeve in the original sleeve as long as it's not those damn rounded one, those I just slide it in next to the MoFi sleeved LP.

Rekkerds likes this.
  7. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I am speaking for myself. :crazy::biglaugh:

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  8. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Yes, you are.

WvL likes this.
  9. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

That's what I do and for the same reasons.

10. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Works for me.

patrickd likes this.
  11. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

That makes sense to me. I find original sleeves, with printing on them fascinating. The plain ones don't interest me much.

12. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I keep the plain white or record label logo sleeves in the jacket with the new inner. That way it is complete original and I know what the original was like. Otherwise I would wonder what was missing.

I also catalog in collectorz if the inner sleeve was glossy with lyrics/text/photos, non-gloss lyrics/text/photos or vintage album ads or plain.

Some albums were later pressings without glossy lyrics inner.

Vintage albums with open shrink and hype stickers are a premium. I especially like the retail price stickers with dates and store names.

RTurner likes this.
  13. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I happen to collect records for 100% listening purposes only. So the price I get when reselling will be my estates problem.

Everything goes in a MoFi sleeve unless the stock sleeve is equal or better than MoFi. Plain paper sleeves get recycled. Paper sleeves lined with plastic or other crappy plastic sleeves get trashed. The only plain paper sleeves I retain, but do not use, are ones that are colored to match the graphic design theme of the LP.

Lowrider75 likes this.
  14. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Thin yellowing disc scratchers get tossed into landfill:thumbsup:

bever70 likes this.
  15. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Do people on this site EVER do that?!

:)

Jeff

DangerousKitchen likes this.
  16. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I keep 'em, especially on vintage pressings.
    And if'n it's an album that is seldom played, it stays in that paper sleeve.

rcsrich likes this.
  17. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I similarly use the sleeve they came in unless it's damaged or deteriorating. If damaged, I replace and keep the original if it's interesting.

18. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Lost Child

I replace all inners but always keep the originals with the record, even if they're just generic plain white ones. It just feels wrong to me to separate them, just in case I ever want to revert to its original state!

shug4476 and oobaa like this.
  19. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

I save mine too.

20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Not only do I save them, I use them. I don't pay extra for fancy sleeves. I have seen many of the older plastic sleeves, bought as upgrades in albums that I acquired used, fall to pieces. That plastic degradation can't be good for an Lp. While at the same time, I run across original paper sleeves from quite old albums, that when the record has been stored properly, look nearly new. Basically, the paper sleeves are fine and can and will likely outlast you. If you just clean your records and blow out the sleeve and jacket to rid them of any dust, you'll be good for decades of shelf riding and platter spinning.
    -Bill

Slick Willie and DaMoodyBlues like this.
  21. DaMoodyBlues

DaMoodyBlues Senior Member

Depends on the condition of the paper sleeve. On lightly played records I also leave them in the original sleeve that is in good condition.

22. Same here:agree:

23. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Many of the on old thrift finds are trashed and get tossed. The good ones that are pain get stored and when I cull a record they go with them and I pull the MoFi or other upgraded sleeve for reuse.

bever70 likes this.
  24. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

If they are a plainpaper sleeve I make sure to recycle them. If they are polylined inner sleeves I use those for my used purchases that are not VG+ or better and use Mofi for my new purchases or VG+ used records. Paper sleeves are recycled end of story for me. I keep any inner sleeve that has artwork or lyrics on them and put the record in a new Mofi sleeve.

25. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Nothing wrong at all with that process. But chew on this for a minute. How did those old "VG+ used records" remain that way if their original inner sleeves were not protecting them?
    -Bill

Slick Willie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.