Am I The Only One Who Can't Make It Through Most Albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, Jul 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

I'm not sure if I have an attention deficit disorder or what, but as I have gone back to listen to a lot of the albums from my youth, I realize that I never got past (for most albums) the first 5 tracks or so. It took a very special album for me to listen all the way through. Anyone else feel the same way, like your favorite tracks on any given album are always the first few but for the life of you you can't name the last three or four on side B? I wonder if this is a phenomenon of some kind, and producers made sure that the tracks were sequenced accordingly to try to get a listener all the way through the journey?

2. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

That the standard way an 18 year old listens to albums on Spotify

3. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

That depends on the album. :D

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’ve always loved listening to albums in full. I don’t skip ‘bad’ tracks either as they’re part of the whole thing.

Purple, Chrome_Head, snipe and 53 others like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I have always listened to whole albums.
    I have generally found that close, repeated listens generally reveal more about an album and the artist that made it.
    If I couldn't listen to most albums all the way through, I probably wouldn't be a music nut.... I would be like the general populace and have hits collections and playlists.

6. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Based on this and the number of threads you've been starting, yes, you might have ADD. No offense, but you seemed to be asking.

7. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I used to know a guy who couldn't get through a whole track. He'd put an album on and continually skip to the next track before the current had got more than halfway. Exceedingly annoying.
    I usually have no trouble listening to whole albums. It's my preferred way of listening to music.

Anti_Elijah, eric777, JosepZ and 13 others like this.
  8. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

Could be worse- I once dated a girl who would only listen up until her favorite PARTS of a song. So she would listen up to say, the chrous, sing along and then skip tracks. There were some songs that she only liked say, the second verse so she would just FF to that part.

9. Palmreg

Palmreg Forum Resident

No. There were no tendency of placing the good ones closer to the begining. But nowadays...can be.
    It seems you're a kind of the listener ever looking for new . I'm not, I really like almost all the albums from my youth and stick to them.

Gasman1003 and Folknik like this.
  10. Palmreg

Palmreg Forum Resident

Good technology too. :)

11. thnkgreen

I think so too. I also can't listen through whole songs sometimes. I have a restless mind. It's not easy, being easily bored. My Mom used to rent videos from Blockbuster and fast forward through most of them. Most movies/albums are predictable, maybe?

lightbulb, londonflash and carlwm like this.
  12. machinestool

machinestool Forum Resident

I had a friend growing up that could barely get through a whole song! "Now check this out"

dwilpower, Alan2 and Fullbug like this.
  13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'm another one who likes to listen all the way through. It's what turns albums into art, for me.

14. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

It's mind boggling the nonsense we put up with cherchez la femme.

15. thnkgreen

Yeah I was like that. I knew the "best parts". I wonder if Kurt Cobain felt that way, having a track called 'Verse Chorus Verse', and later, lyrics like 'teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old'

JimJimFalls likes this.
  16. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Usually when people do that, there's liquor and/or other substances in the equation.

17. Depends on the album.
    You're not alone.
    This is why there is the term "filler."
    Many albums will have a strong side 1 and then a much weaker side 2. It's also why the best track is often the lead-off track on may albums, etc...
    Not sure why you're worried about this.
    If it's a really solid album you'd listen to it all the way through.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Comet01, Anti_Elijah, Adam9 and 4 others like this.
  18. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Never for me. As a matter of fact, while working from home during the pandemic, its been a pleasure being able to work and listen to entire albums every day as as opposed to listening to my coworkers.

19. I have no problem listening the majority of albums all the way through, but besides that some have filler (see: most AC/DC albums post-Back In Black, for example),
    I always take songs over albums.
    She Loves You.
    A brilliant musical moment and work of art in itself, and vastly more exciting to me than say Sgt. Pepper.
    Or Talk Talk by the Music Machine, etc.
    I like what great songs can do.
    There are some Beach Boys gems I could not name what album they're from offhand but I absolutely love them - the songs.
    Or certain obscure Who songs that are classics that were just on singles, etc.

Adam9, Reader and carlwm like this.
  20. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

I'm the same,I often skip bad tracks,or only listen to bits of them.
    The thing is this will sound poncey but I have very high standards with music, I really cannot tolerate what a lot of people consider good music.
    I'm a musician myself and that is how I have always been.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  21. Suncola

Suncola Possibilities

I like songs, period. I don't let anyone's "artistic vision" or someone else's idea of a perfect running order prescribe how I listen to my favorite songs.

The tone arm has a little lever that lifts the needle from the record. I use that.

billnunan, TheLastVoice, Sear and 2 others like this.
  22. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Some of the more commercially minded commerce-over-art producers and artists sometimes "front load" an album with most of the hits (or projected hits) at the beginning of an album to hook the listeners and place the tracks they might consider "deep cuts" or even "filler" on the second half of the album, and many of the more commercially minded listeners will only listen to the first few songs. This certainly does not apply to all albums, producers, artists, or listeners. I prefer to listen to whole albums, especially those which were aesthetically assembled and sequenced as a full artistic statement. As for albums that consist of a couple of good hit songs surrounded by filler, that's why God created singles.

Palmreg and Jimmy B. like this.
  23. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

I prefer to listen to the whole album if possible - I just prefer it that way. With more time at home I've been able to listen to a lot of complete albums during lockdown.

PIGGIES, DME1061 and carlwm like this.
  24. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

If I can't finish an album, that means I don't like it enough to keep it. I do skip individual tracks, however.

25. RunningWithScissors

RunningWithScissors Forum Resident

Yes!
    There have been countless times that upon first listen, my reaction has been "meh". After giving it a second or third shot I've come to appreciate the music and what the artist/band has done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.