Amadeus: Director's Cut--Anybody have this?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by voicebug, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member Thread Starter

I love the movie 'Amadeus', and have yet to pick up the 2 disc Director's cut.
    How is it? I've got the original DVD and plan on holding on to it because I've been told the new version doesn't have the option of the music only track.

How are the bonus features, commentary, and added scenes?
    I'm still on the fence on whether I should run out and grab this, or if I can put it farther down on my DVD wish list.

Thanks!

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

It's great...yea the music-only track is nixed but the sound and picture are fabulous! For me though (and understand I think this is one of the greatest films ever) the documentary on the making of the film (almost 2 hours itself!) is almost as entertaining as the film itself. How the movie got made at all is a miracle!

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The director's cut looks and sounds substantially better than its predecessor, and the commentary and new documentary are worthwile supplements. I would hold on to the original just because it is the original cut, but the extended version works better for me than, say, Apocalypse Now Redux.

Regards,

4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I'm going to buy this. I just recently rented the original version and couldn't get over how inconsistent the color timing was, sometimes shifting dramatically during the same scene. Anyone else notice this?

Dan C

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

If you like Elizabeth Berridge's "attributes", don't miss the Director's cut!!!

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Hoo-hah! :thumbsup:

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Shameless plug time: here's a link to my review of the set:

http://www.dvdmg.com/amadeusse.shtml

I prefer the original cut of the movie, but the SE is a far superior DVD. (There's a link to my review of the original DVD inside this one, BTW.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.