Amazon AU price watch thread...

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Jimmy Agates, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

Subscribed.

candyflip69 likes this.
  2. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

Appreciate that Swifty - feedback and suggestions for other albums always greatly appreciated and heard, as either comments on the YT videos themselves, or you are welcome to PM me.
    The 'Rumours' one should be nice and devisive! :hide::cool:

PdB73 and croquetlawns like this.
  3. westcj

westcj I'm like a wombat on the rampage

Congratulations on a very well put together comparison, I have watched it three times (Wish I owned the turntable!) So what is your opinion on "White Hot Stampers'' - second hand records that would normally sell for $30 -$40 but the seller is asking $200 - $800 because he claims particular pressings are so much better than other pressings?

candyflip69 and croquetlawns like this.
  4. candyflip69

You're referring to Tom Port at Better Records.
    I think if they do the work, and find a 1 in 50 copy that someone wants to pay 10x for the convenience of saving themselves the work to do, then good luck to them.
    The Business model appears sound, and the buyer is probably getting a deal (as long as your ears match Tom's ears)?

Me, I'd rather do the search and destroy (and fail) myself: that's all part of the fun of collecting.

westcj likes this.
  5. westcj

croquetlawns likes this.
  6. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Mylene and scobb like this.
  7. westcj

Thanks croquetlawns, I thinking about it, really like that period of Iggy's career, and have everything on vinyl, so was interested in the live stuff, but already have plenty of bootleg stuff

croquetlawns likes this.
  8. Glam77

Glam77 Forum Resident

Excellent viewing / listening. Thanks for sharing.

candyflip69 likes this.
  9. candyflip69

thanks for watching!
    If I provide enough value for one listener to get a decent subjective view out of (instead of reading stranger's somewhat unfiltered views on single pressings on Discogs), I'm happy.

10. westcj

Still not convinced about his claims that certain pressings warrant $200+ price tags, although some pressings are certainly better than others. I take his view about his "scientific approach'' to grading pressings with a grain of salt. As you said, listening to music is very much a personal thing. But I am with you , good luck to him, there is clearly a market for so-called Super Pressings and he seems to be selling plenty of records.

11. candyflip69

I understand the value proposition.

We all have in our collections that pressing that just slams..
    For no good reason, despite it's appearance or its pedigree, everything, somehow, just clicks.

Tom's notion is that if his team do that for popular titles, and they listen to enough of every type, they'll hit on those gold sounding version about 1 in 50, or 100.
    They then sell off the other pressings and make their money back (or perhaps a little more, as they've been 'officially cleaned and prepared'), and they make 10/50x on the other one.

If you buy into that idea, you could save yourself a lot of leg work having Tom's team do it for you.
    But that's a small group of high-worth individuals (who probably pay most other people to do the work on things for them) :D
    The challenge later for the new owner is surely the resale value: if Tom isn't pushing it, how can I trust that your copy is what you say it is, without hearing it first?
    Do you offer a full money back guarantee like he does?
    And if it's so great, why are you selling it now?

Not for me.

12. Big Swifty

If I was cash-rich and time-poor, I would certainly consider it as a way of putting together a fantastic record collection.

But, as candyflip says, doing the work yourself is half the fun so it's not for me.

But I get it and good luck to Mr Port and his hot stampers.

13. westcj

That is one thing that has always fascinated me about record pressings,- I have records that look like crap : grey, streaky paper- thin VG+ vinyl - and the sound is fantastic. Other records are on thick, shiny, mint black vinyl and they sound like the stylus is carrying a ball of fluff.

Tom's pricing is an interesting concept. Because it does take lot of time and effort to find super pressings he must charge a high price to make an earner. Which means that a $400 super pressing is not 1,000% better sounding than a $40 normal pressing - you are mainly paying for his time and effort, and partially for the improved sound quality; which is clearly not a problem for his customers.

Good point about resale value. And there must be fans who buy a super pressing of their favorite artist, play it on their $1,000 stereo and think - "Sounds exactly the same as the copy I've already got"

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    candyflip69, scobb and croquetlawns like this.
  14. westcj

Mylene, Jimmy Agates and croquetlawns like this.
  15. Wadeal

Wadeal Well-Known Member

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

croquetlawns likes this.
  17. ispace

ispace Senior Member

Today I received a (non-Amazon) package from the USA posted on 8 July. So don’t give up hope!

18. croquetlawns

My Amazon Australia order posted on Sep 23 has also finally arrived today!

westcj, ispace and Mylene like this.
  19. croquetlawns

westcj, Bonddm, Big Swifty and 2 others like this.
  20. Glam77

Glam77 Forum Resident

Is this a further 20% off their clearance prices?
    i looked at their clearance category a day or 2 ago, and prices still look the same.

21. croquetlawns

Apparently so!

22. AFCAD

AFCAD Forum Resident

Applied at checkout.

Need the redemption code in the email they sent out today - one use only.

croquetlawns likes this.
  23. Glam77

Glam77 Forum Resident

Ah ok. I didn't get the email this time round for some reason.

24. Big Swifty

Frightwig and Mylene like this.
  25. Big Swifty

westcj likes this.