Amazon AU price watch thread...

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Jimmy Agates, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

imarcq and Eskimo Chain like this.
  2. Big Swifty

iloveguitars and imarcq like this.
  3. Big Swifty

iloveguitars and imarcq like this.
  4. Big Swifty

imarcq and Bulsara like this.
  5. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

If I had to totally guess, it’s because Chad doesn’t want to invest in a distribution center outside of the US. It’s the same in Europe with his products. He sells more than enough in NA to earn his keep. And a lot of the money he has made has gone back into the company with adding more presses, hiring more people, and going after big name artists to license. Kinda don’t blame him for not wanting to invest in a distribution center. Not sure what kind of wholesale pricing he charges international stores

That Michael45 guy on YouTube just opened an online store and I think he’s technically a distributor. Not sure his prices or shipping costs to AU.

Big Swifty likes this.
  6. Big Swifty

imarcq and prizefighter like this.
  7. PdB73

PdB73 Forum Resident

Michael45 is European sales only.

Mike H. likes this.
  8. ism

ism Forum Resident

Thanks Swifty! These are both right up my alley, so I've ordered them. Let's hope they come through. Much appreciated!

Big Swifty likes this.
  9. Big Swifty

I'm not exactly sure these are Acoustic Sounds (the hype stickers look slightly different) but they are cut by Ryan Smith from original analog tapes so they'll be fine. The discogs reviews are excellent.

westcj likes this.
  10. Bulsara

Bulsara His Majesty

Confusingly, these are not part of the "Verve Acoustic Sounds" series - they are from Third Man records. They should still be good quality releases but as this is a new series (or at least, a recently resurrected series), it is still TBD as to whether the whole package is up to the standard of the Verve Acoustic Sounds or Tone Poet releases.

VERVE RECORDS/UMe PARTNER WITH THIRD MAN RECORDS TO RELAUNCH VERVE BY – Third Man Records – Official Store

"Albums will be newly remastered from original analog sources, when available, and pressed on audiophile-quality, 180-gram vinyl at Third Man Pressing in Detroit. "
    Not explicitly AAA

Big Swifty, prizefighter and westcj like this.
  11. Big Swifty

Good work, Bulsara.

So it appears there is a 'Verve Acoustic Sounds Series' and 'Verve By Request Series' running concurrently. The first one is AAA, pressed at QRP and supervised by Chad Kasseem, the other series is not. I think it's fairly safe to say the Request Series is not AAA or they would be highlighting it in their blurb. What the relationship is between the two, I do not know. I suspect the Request Series is for albums that have tape issues.

I've ordered the Mel Brown LP as a test case to see if the Request Series is worth it.

Bulsara likes this.
  12. westcj

westcj I'm like a wombat on the rampage

Been doing quite a bit of crate digging this weekend and I have noticed this strange form of record buying behaviour is happening more often. A buyer will go through a pile of records in an op shop , pull out any they think are interesting, then get on their phone and check if the records are worth something.
    I have been tempted to say - ‘’ mate, the records are $2 each, live on the edge and just a gamble’’ - but I am too polite!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    Bulsara, Mike H. and ispace like this.
  13. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

Verve by request is mostly digital sources but at least the first two were cut by RKS (Beat and Ptah). I thought Ptah was very disappointing. Was flat and quiet but felt lifeless compared to other versions I’ve had.

14. Big Swifty

Looks like the Verve By Request is a case by case basis whereas the Verve Acoustic Sounds are auto-buys (for me).

15. ispace

ispace Senior Member

eBay and Discogs have changed op shop buying habits from “I’ll try this out” to “I’ll resell this”. As a result, anything vaguely interesting is gone within hours by opportunistic resellers, which makes the whole op shop experience much less interesting than it was a decade ago. Admittedly this happens at other forums including record fairs and even Amazon bargains here too, sadly. The sight of grown men pushing to grab items at fairs is not a pleasant one. It’s disappointing but that’s supply and demand I guess. I noticed the other day that an Aussie Discogs user who notoriously charges very high prices has almost 11,000 items for sale!

Bulsara and westcj like this.
  16. Big Swifty

Easy-E, Bulsara, Mylene and 2 others like this.
  17. Big Swifty

westcj likes this.
  18. westcj

Very good point ispace, there are now many record buyers now who seem to have no love of music, just interested in trying to make a buck out of it. That also applies to some record store owners!

ispace likes this.
  19. westcj

jɑmbo, sleeptalker, imarcq and 5 others like this.
  20. Big Swifty

:laugh:

21. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I used to frequently attend the 2MBS record sales at Leichhardt town hall in Sydney between 2005-2015. It was always great with (at that time) just a few people browsing. I picked up quite a few promos and WLPs too.

I'll always remember one very unkempt, overweight and dishevelled guy who would always start at one end of the row, push all the records in a crate forward, then literally flick through them all in reverse, a human hoover, quickly sucking up and removing ANYTHING of remote interest.

He would therefore eventually accumulate a large pile, put them aside, then repeat the process in the next row. So finally he would have piles of records at the end of his stint which he would then sit down and examine each one carefully at leisure, chucking back all the crap and lessar morsels for the rest of us who were looking slowly through, and examining and picking up a few as we went.

Even worse, if you (and I often did so on purpose) moved in front of him in the row and he saw YOU nab something HE wanted, he literally emitted steam from his ears and would give you looks to kill. I worked out exactly who he was, as stuff I recognised popped up soon after in the same eBay store.

Not that I didn't resell stuff too....but I did it fairly and normally ended up keeping most for myself!

westcj, Easy-E, Bulsara and 2 others like this.
  22. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

They have left the door open to say some may be analogue but I think all the ones so far have said “from transfers from the original tape” which means digital to me. I hope Awakening is AAA but really doubt it.

imarcq and Big Swifty like this.
  23. westcj

You can always pick record resellers - as you said , they hoover through crates and there is no pattern to their purchases- except to get a record they can resell for a profit.
    It is nice to find something you can resell for an earner, but I get far more excited finding a record that I have been looking for , or finding something you know is going to be great (or really weird)

iloveguitars, ispace and imarcq like this.
  24. Big Swifty

25. Big Swifty

imarcq likes this.