Amazon AU price watch thread...

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Jimmy Agates, Sep 20, 2018.

1. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I know!! When I saw the heading 300+ records I thought I don't get outta bed for that hahahaha....but some of the facts were enlightening....that Taylor Swift sold 1 in 25 USA vinyl records supposedly...

Taylor Swift is responsible for one in 25 vinyl records sold in the US over 2022

I'm still trying to work how how I scan a barcode in Discogs!!!!

westcj likes this.
  2. PdB73

PdB73 Forum Resident

It was a popular thing in the 80’s with 7” singles too. A different sleeve for each member of a band. Good times.

westcj likes this.
  3. Box Set

Box Set Living In The Material World

Lost me at vinyls - opening para ;)

ispace, imarcq and westcj like this.
  4. westcj

westcj I'm like a wombat on the rampage

I will see you five and raise you ten.

I have seven copies of Lee Conway's Truck On Country, all are exactly the same, the only difference being the record condition. I have a mint copy but still keep buying it in the wild. To make it worse, the record is not one of Lee's better efforts.

At least you could flog your copies of Revolver, I could not get $5 for Truck On Country (although Ebay sellers think otherwise!)

Big Swifty and imarcq like this.
  5. imarcq

We all know the plural of vinyls is vinlys of course.... ;)

6. imarcq

I'm unusually getting an outage on Discogs....I was just checking my vinlys too....Grrrr :(

[​IMG]

westcj likes this.
  7. Box Set

and then there's this guy The White Album Project | A Comprehensive Look At The Beatles Self Titled Double Album Masterpiece

imarcq and Big Swifty like this.
  8. westcj

imarcq likes this.
  9. Aussie pressing

Aussie pressing Forum Resident

imarcq, westcj and Box Set like this.
  10. Aussie pressing

Aussie pressing Forum Resident

Easy-E, imarcq, Eskimo Chain and 3 others like this.
  11. Box Set

Easy-E and imarcq like this.
  12. Candyflip Records

Candyflip Records vinyl lover

Amateur.

The point he entirely misses is yes, the industry is at its absolute top (prices), but if a recession hits or some other thing conspires to remove the bucketloads of free cash swashing around in every 'civilized' economy right now, the whole market will take a slippery slide to 10 years ago.
    Just like shares.
    Just like gold.
    Just like every other commodity.

Except with vinyl, there's the possibility it slips right back into obscurity again at the whims of mere fashion, and becomes the next Beanie Babies of the collectable world.
    which would suit me just fine - retail asks right now have priced me out of the game I've loved for more than 40 years. :mad:

Easy-E, ispace, imarcq and 2 others like this.
  13. prizefighter

prizefighter Well-Known Member

14. PdB73

PdB73 Forum Resident

Yeah…I agree, would be Discrepancy Records eBay account. I’ve bought from this store before.

They have a few items listed cheaper here than their own online site.

Picked up the double LP RSD release of Sheena Easton’s 12” mixes for $38 delivered. Half off…so good price.

15. PdB73

PdB73 Forum Resident

For lovers of Audiophile vinyl releases…first release of new Rhino Kevin Gray series. Postage is US$16…so about $AU88 delivered for 1.

I’ve ordered The Cars…curiosity & all that. Says it’s exclusive to the store…but can’t see local prices being any cheaper is they do become available.

I think we need to start a support group for over spending on music! My poor wallet.

Rhino High Fidelity Rhino - Official Store

Munger74, imarcq, Bulsara and 3 others like this.
  16. westcj

17. AFCAD

AFCAD Forum Resident

Not amazon, but it anyone is looking for the Tone Poet version of Grant Green - Nigeria, Rarewaves on ebay appears to have some listed. Not sure if these will become more widely available, it has been out of stock for ages everywhere. Not on amazon yet if they have repressed it.

Mine has been posted so they have something (and it is listed as a Tone Poet). Given that it Rarewaves, it will probably take some time to get here...

Grant Green Nigeria (Vinyl) Blue Note Tone Poet Series (US IMPORT) 602508358906 | eBay

westcj and imarcq like this.
  18. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

Available from the Amazon Warehouse for $111

GregorSamsa and imarcq like this.
  19. westcj

Are new records an example of Veblen Goods? Luxury products that buck the law of demand and supply - as their price increases, demand increases.

The example always given is the whiskey brand Chivas Regal. When it first entered the market, sales were slow, they increased the price, consumers thought it must be a great whiskey and demand soared (this is probably only partly true, I also heard they launched a massive advertising campaign - but don't let facts get in the way of a good story!)

Is a new record - complete with the standard marketing bull crap - "remastered, on 180-gram virgin vinyl, limited to 1,000 copies" going to sell more copies if it is priced at $70, as opposed to $40? The reason being that many of today's record buyers have no clue and think "wow, $70, this must be a really good record."

Last edited: May 20, 2023
    imarcq, ispace and Aussie pressing like this.
  20. Candyflip Records

Candyflip Records vinyl lover

No, but I like your thinking.
    Record pricing is based on rising costs of materials and services, and a collectable restricted supply and demand model, unlike Chivas.
    IF the market/economy dives and cash drys up, the price of records will follow.
    Not so our beloved whiskey.

imarcq likes this.
  21. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

Mylene and imarcq like this.
  22. ispace

ispace Senior Member

Artificial supply constraints are a huge driver of the vinyl market, as it is in many other markets (eg. sneakers). The labels use these arbitrary limits to drive urgency and panic buying.

imarcq, scobb and westcj like this.
  23. westcj

Yes, collectability does affect the demand and supply equation - investing in records has always been around but seems to be more prevalent the last few years - the article that imarcq linked sums up many of today's record buyers. Not saying there is anything wrong with it, as nearly everyone on this forum would have done it!

However, I have always believed that the marketplace dictates pricing. There has been genuine rising costs associated with record manufacturing and record prices have increased, but it has had no effect on demand.

A simplistic example . What would happen if the retail price of a single LP hit $70 due to the increased cost of vinyl and the demand for records dried up completely? Would record companies go out of business? Not without a fight, the first thing that would do is threaten the vinyl suppliers - "cancel all our orders for vinyl unless you drop your price. " Vinyl suppliers would then put the screws on their suppliers etc. Prices drop and demand returns.

imarcq likes this.
  24. attfiecz

attfiecz Forum Resident

Yes, completely agree.
    I don't think behaviours have changed particularly, humans are humans.
    And the industry always knew where the $s were hiding too.
    In the 80s when I was buying singles there were stupid levels of variants of some, Two Tribes is a great example.
    And there were a few examples where I bought two copies, one to keep and one to play.

In 1970 George Harrison's All Things Must Pass 3lp cost over $120AUD new.
    And according to some evidence, we've still not beaten the record for lp prices.
    Vinyl Prices Might Seem High Today, But They Were Worse In 1978 – Billboard

I'm 52 and started buying lps in earnest in the early to mid 80s.
    I'm guessing there's a few here in the same situation, and we just got lucky because as our teenage earnings were going up, prices were dropping.

I just think forums such as this see likeminded groups gather together and assertions become facts.
    Luckily for us it's about record pricing and not whether we should take up arms and storm the Capitol because kids are being sold in wardrobes or whatever the hell that was about.

Kids love music, parents will always wonder what this new noise is and pass judgement.
    I hope my age group never understands the music tatses and purchasing habits of my kids' because that means nothing is changing.
    What's that racket, you call that music, it was better when I was a kid, and why do the boys look like girls.
    I hope we are all saying that for years to come to our kids, and I hope they look at us like we are idiots.

westcj, Easy-E and imarcq like this.
  25. December_boy

December_boy Forum Resident

Thank you so much for this heads up. I managed to grab Upsetters Box Sets, Funkadelic, Idris Muhammad, Wire, and many more at amazing prices… arrived yesterday. Just wanted to give you a shout out and massive credit. Did anyone else get onboard?