Amazon CD packaging is just an envelope

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by sunking101, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Every single time that Amazon send me a digipak CD the spine is crushed. Why do they use those cardboard envelopes with zero padding and no structural support? Am I the only one who sends damaged CDs back?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

Bezos...worth $160 billion and can't do any better than this...everyone should boycott...truly execrable packaging. I've have the same experiences.

E.Baba, Opeth, Erik B. and 3 others like this.
  3. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

No you're not the only one. Some of the cds I bought from them, ends up with a cracked case or teeth is screwed where I can't put the CD in.

Totally unacceptable I know, how there still getting away this is beyond me.

Matthew Tate and ultron9 like this.
  4. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

At least they're sending them in something. They've been known to dispatch vinyl LPs by slapping a mailing label directly on the shrinkwrap. They do it often.

Matthew Tate and Jimmy Agates like this.
  5. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

If I had continued problems with an online retailer, I wouldn't keep buying from them. Why do you?

E.Baba, Jimmy B. and Jack like this.
  6. MikeManaic61

Amazon Prime maybe? Get within 2 days instead of waiting for a week, despite how much of a pain it is with their packaging.

905 likes this.
  7. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I used to order a lot of CDs from amazon to Australia. Many were damaged due to crap packaging. Now that amazon has refused to ship to Australia I am probably going to use ebay for future CD purchases especially box sets.

Matthew Tate and E.Baba like this.
  8. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I've been purchasing a lot from rarewaves via ebay recently. They mail their CDs (from England) in sturdy cardboard mailers. Amazon has gotten very sloppy in the past few years.

PhantomStranger, E.Baba and rock76 like this.
  9. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

I love Amazon, never had a bad experience with them.

Laibach and 905 like this.
  10. sunking101

Only they carry this one CD. I use Marketplace sellers wherever I can.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  11. yescool2002

yescool2002 Forum Resident

I placed over 1600 orders on Amazon since 2004 and about 4 years ago they started using padded envelopes, Since then I must have received over 100 damaged items. Same with Amazon UK, and apaprently the same happens with Amazon.de and Amazon.it
    The only Amazon store that still uses great quality packaging is...Amazon Japan, of course

Matthew Tate and black sheriff like this.
  12. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Me too. I don't believe Amazon (or any other shipper) should be held responsible for the indifference and carelessness of the United States Postal Service.

13. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

At least they still sell them - I live in a fairly good-sized city and just about impossible to buy a back catalogue CD anywhere. If I want the new Garth Brooks I can go to Walmart LOL , If I want some lame ass "The Voice" winner or something I can go Target but that's about it. Barnes and Noble is getting a decent sized space for vinyl, but overall pretty pathetic.

Matthew Tate and Laibach like this.
  14. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I've bought +15 LPs from them and they've always arrived very well-packaged.

15. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Do you really think Bezos has anything to do with packaging? He pays people to do that. They are probably paid well. They do have a mechanism to complain about packaging. And Bezos probably put that in place. The one thing I know about Amazon is that they will send you a replacement immediately. You are out nothing because you can keep the damages goods until your replacement arrives. You have a month to return the CD. Amazon pays for the return shipping. You just have to find an opportunity to get it shipped, which can be as simple as putting it in a local Amazon locker or a UPS drop box. A UPS store next to your favorite grocery store is another way.

Amazon is actually doing this right. They try to do things right. If they screw up, they pay for your expenses. They also have a mechanism for improving. It's easy to complain about Amazon. But try this stuff with Discogs.

16. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

As have I. Probably lots more than that. However, I've heard horror stories from friends and read many accounts that tell a different story. I guess it differs depending on where they ship from and who is doing it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

In the old days (1999 to the mid-2000s) Amazon always mailed CDs/DVDs in cardboard mailers which were much much studier.

Amazon Japan were probably the last to use decent packaging but eventually they too went the same 'cheap' way.

Finally deleted my account a few months ago as my purchases with them dwindled. Their prices are higher I find compared to other retailers - but this is how modern big business works - reel in a ton of customers by undercutting the competition then once they have you bump up the prices.

Amazon do have some of the best customer service though in the business and their returns are generally hassle free.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I'm willing to forego physical CDs if they are willing to have lossless files on all of the download sites like iTunes, Amazon, Google Play. I'm tired of waiting two weeks to get a CD.

19. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Anyone that send a cd in a envelope or just a bubble mailer is a ********* in my book. Amazon doesn't care anymore they have what they want and have their hands in everything. Vote with your wallet.

E.Baba, Jimmy B. and Dave like this.
  20. sunking101

It's not even a bubble mailer. Just an envelope made out of thin card. The contents (ie the digipak CD) are the rigid structure. There is zero padding. Any weight whatsoever on the packaging crushes the contents. Just lousy.

Matthew Tate and Opeth like this.
  21. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

And return the replacement, return the replacement....

E.Baba likes this.
  22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

This post makes me appreciate the HMV that has just opened in my home town. It's full of CDs.

23. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

I've had two expensive (for me) box sets arrive damaged because they were shipped in envelopes. The first was the "Batman: The Animated Series" box set. It looked like somebody had stomped on it. The replacement was also shipped in an envelope and was bent up. When I called, they knocked off $10. I took it and moved on.

Today, I received the 14th volume of Dylan's Bootleg Series and it, too, arrived in an envelope with damaged corners. I'm not even bothering with a replacement this time (just getting a refund).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    sunking101 and MikeManaic61 like this.
  24. MikeManaic61

Been hearing that lot lately Batman Animated Series, boxes have came in beat up and torn.

Tell me how it is. Wanted to buy one but not with all the collectibles that come with it.

25. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

My meat light Zappa 3 CD got damaged recently sent in a bubble mailer. They refunded me... Amazon UK sent the Jethro tull This Was box in a nice carboard mailer and it was mint... It's kind of funny.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.