Amazon - Fewer New CD releases in stock on day of release - New Trend?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Spitfire, Apr 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member Thread Starter

Been noticing that new CD releases on Amazon aren't always in stock on the release day anymore. Anybody else been noticing this? The new Generation X Deluxe and Cheap Trick Epic Archive Vol III CDs were supposed to be out yesterday but aren't in stock. The Lone Justice Live At The Palomino CD isn't even listed. I bought that one from Barnes & Noble. I had the same problem with Steve Earle's latest CD but it finally came in.

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Could be due to where these are being manufactured/Imported. (Gen X for example)
    Ominvore/Real Gone are small labels. Perhaps they aren't going to use Amazon as a re-seller (due to profit margin loss)
    You could try importcd's.
    For my run of the mill Euro manufactured new releases I always have to import due to Amazon's 2 month wait.

3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

My CD copy of the new Nils Lofgren arrived a day early :cheers:

4. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

My experience is somewhat similar with Amazon UK. Some "minor" releases (from a sales perspective) like jazz CDs on ECM sometimes are not available on release day.
    HMV doesn't sell any new jazz release at all so it's getting hard to buy new jazz on CD...

5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Are pre-orders delayed? Maybe it's not Amazon. Maybe it the record labels underestimating demand. It doesn't seem like Amazon would ever be at fault for not getting a delivering something.

6. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

I've never had any problems getting CDs on release day from Amazon. Guess I don't buy enough to get in trouble.

tmtomh likes this.
  7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Catfish and the Bottlemen - in stock
    Foxygen - in stock
    Kevin Morby - in stock
    Marina - in stock next week
    The Damned Things - in stock next week
    The Mountain Goats - in stock
    Schoolboy Q - in stock next week

Mixture so far. Maybe it's just lower CD pressing runs and certain titles going OOS quickly. Or, as the OP is alluding to it's just not a priority on release day versus the streaming copy.

8. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I picked up the new Cranberries CD at B&N. Amazon is out of stock until May 14th.

9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I had three pre orders in for this Friday’s new releases but only one arrived:

Prince- rec’d on Friday
    Aldous Harding- arriving May 6th
    Ruby Rushton- no date given yet

I have noticed in the last year or so that putting in a pre order is by no means a sure thing to get it on or close to release date unless it’s a mainstream release.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  10. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That is a Debbie Downer shipping update. :(

11. I know the movie studios play inventory games with Amazon on hot new releases. They purposely short Amazon so the company can't fulfill all their orders, pushing customers to find other outlets for copies. It's designed to help brick-and-mortar outlets sell units during the first week of release.

I have no idea if the smaller music labels are potentially doing this, likely not, or Amazon just isn't carrying enough inventory anymore. If you follow some of the smaller labels that actively post on this forum, they say dealing with Amazon is a real pain.

12. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I didn't see this post when I created mine. However I have found this to be a recent trend with Amazon new releases as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.