Amazon HD Music goes live

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BubbaMc, Sep 17, 2019.

1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I highly doubt it.

Freebird likes this.
  2. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Thanks, I just changed the output setting for the Amazon Music app to my DAC, but I don't think it really is going to make any difference since it was already going to my DAC anyway.

3. AndyH

AndyH Forum Resident

There is an iOS update which another site says cures the crash problem by increasing the priority of the app (which discourages iOS from killing it due to being a background running resource hog). It is also said to reduce battery consumption somewhat. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

sunspot42, mikedifr0923 and Mike M like this.
  4. reshufflesleep

reshufflesleep New Member

How is their library compared to Spotify?

5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I keep things separated in Tidal where the output for the app goes to my Dragonfly Black, whereas everything else goes to the default sound card.

This change allows me to the do the same thing in the Amazon app.

6. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

ios update to 9.1.4 today

7. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

I doubt this keeps Windows from messing with the audio signal.

sunspot42 likes this.
  8. TimM

TimM Senior Member

C'mon. He is listening to them both and he says it sounds better. There are a bunch of people on this thread who have not heard the Amazon HD but have already declared it awful. I think he has more credibility.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That would happen regardless, I would think. At least this separates the output from everything else.

10. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I've used both and I've found some missing stuff in both - about the same amount in each, and nothing that really bothered me tremendously.

black sheriff likes this.
  11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

In theory, Amazon has the larger library. In practice, I'm finding more stuff missing on Amazon than on Spotify.

12. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

I'm having a good experience with the service and will continue using it when the 90-day trial ends. I've been a Prime member for years so the price is terrific and the sound quality is excellent. I don't love the UI but I'm getting used to it. I've been going back and forth between a Bluesound Node 2 and a Sonore microRendu.

The Node 2 is very convenient. I have it wired via analog out and digital out to my DAC. Both sound quite good with the digital connection edging out the analog. I like that both outputs are active at the same time .. sometimes I just don't want to fire up the DAC.

For the microRendu I use Shairport (AirPlay emulator) in conjunction with Amazon's iOS app/AirPlay on my iPad. Shairport is limited to 16/44.1 thus everything above that rate is down-converted. The sound quality is fantastic nonetheless. In fact, I'd venture to say it's better than the Node 2 at any bit/sample rate.

I've had subscriptions to both Tidal and Qobuz and ultimately went back to Spotify for their better catalog. I listen to a lot of jazz and Amazon's library seems comparable to Spotify's. Both services have such an enormous selection of music I find it hard to find fault with either in that department.

Tim S, PATB, 2veg and 1 other person like this.
  13. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Depends what kind of music you want to listen to. If you're a jazz fan, like me, the total lack of anything from the Soul Note/Black Saint labels catalog on Amazon is a non-starter. Spotify has lots and lots of that stuff. (Tidal just a selection from the labels.)

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

+1 The free trials are there for people to check out the service to see if it works for their tastes. No other way to know even though one service can have 10 million more songs than another. It all depends on what is available that you like.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  15. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

What's new/different with this new version for Windows that's available today?

16. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

How do I remove downloaded music without removing the albums from “My Music”? On iOS.

17. allegro

allegro Well-Known Member

What update? My version is still at 7.8.2.2104 have not been notified of an update from within the app.

18. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

All I know is that there is a bar at the top of the app that there is an update available.

19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The app is really slow to update. The last update I had to leave it open for hours before it finally decided to updated itself.

Mike M likes this.
  20. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

PC Desktop App Update:

Version: 7.8.4.2118, had it open and playing for about 2 hours before it updated

Gaslight likes this.
  21. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Mine didn't update, had to redownload the app and reinstall.

22. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

I think you have made your point.

nick99nack, BeatleJWOL, Hab and 2 others like this.
  23. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

So I just want to make sure, are you are saying that they don’t have anything from the Soul note catalog?

24. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I've asked this before, so apologies, but how do I search what artists are available with this service before signing up?

I'm not slamming it yet, but to say that "they just want you to try it out" while having to sign up before finding out if they have what you want sounds like BS.
    Seems kind of like a shell game.

25. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Far as I can tell you sign up for the free 90 day trial and check out their selection. I don't think there's another way to view their full library.