Amazon HD Music goes live

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BubbaMc, Sep 17, 2019.

1. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Holy hell. Thank you for this recommendation. This is mind blowing in ultra hd.

mtrot likes this.
  2. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Yup, I was blown away, so beautiful!

3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That performance was recorded in 1980 to analog. The CDs of that recording are ADD. I'm assuming the 24/192 versions are new transfers from the analog tape.

I don't have any of the Claudio Abbado versions of the Mahler symphonies. Perhaps I should try one of the new high-res transfers.

4. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

I didn't know there were more of these high res transfers of circa 1980 analog recordings available, but I'd like to give them a listen. Those analog recordings to tape at 15 or 30 inches per second can sound incredible. And the CSO of that day was about as good as it gets.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  5. danner

danner Forum Resident

I just got my Dragonfly in the mail this morning, and I'm finally giving the service a proper test drive on my iPhone. I'm still not wild about the app's UI, but it certainly does sound nice.

6. sami

sami Mono still rules

One question (pardon me if I have already asked this) - if my Android phone is capable of 24/48 (which actually sounds very, very nice), would adding a DAC dongle such as the Dragonfly allow me to hear the music bit perfect?

7. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

the app would upsample everything to 24/192 as it doesn't do bit perfect, the bigger question is whether the Dragonfly is a better sounding DAC than your phone

sami likes this.
  8. sami

sami Mono still rules

Thanks for the reply. It's actually blowing my mind how good it sounds simply plugging my phone from the headphone jack into the RCA's of my vintage system. Now I have nothing to compare it to, but there is zero fatigue regardless how loud I run it, and the detail is wonderful. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone.

9. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

To me the Dragonfly Red sounded way better than "just" my iPhone SE.

What I do not understand is this: my iPhone is capable of 24 bit 48 kHz according to the Amazon app. With the Dragonfly Red it’s capable of 24 bit 96 kHz but still plays in 24 bit 48 kHz according to the Amazon app, even though the light on the Dragonfly is magenta (what indicates 24 bit 96 kHz). Does anybody know why?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  10. Ham Sandwich

Android doesn't do bit perfect audio unless the phone manufacturer has customized the OS to optimize for audiophile audio quality. Or you need to use a specialized audio app like USB Audio Player PRO that bypasses the android audio system and connects to the DAC directly, and you need to use a supported phone or DAC with USB Audio Player PRO. USB Audio Player PRO can do some streaming audio (Qobuz, Tidal, Google Music) but doesn't support Amazon yet.

This is an area where Android based DAPs can do better than phones. The DAPs get optimized for audio. Phones don't (except for a few).

sami likes this.
  11. sami

sami Mono still rules

This is the crux of what I'm asking as well.

12. sami

sami Mono still rules

Thanks for the reply. I was using UAPP with Qobuz, and could run it through my DAC into my system at 24/192, and it sounded beautiful. I quit Qobuz because the endless buffering was killing me, and I never have that issue with Amazon HD. So I guess I'm just waiting for Amazon to provide a solution like UAPP.

Can you recommend any DAP's that are reasonably priced?

13. Ham Sandwich

I stopped my DAP hunt with the PonoPlayer. I'm no longer familiar with what is current in that space.
    For my Pixel 3 Android phone I'm using an iBasso DC02 dongle along with UAPP. It works well enough for phone portable needs. It sounds much much better through UAPP than the stock Android sound system. With UAPP it gets louder, has more power, drives the headphones better (Oppo PM2) and sounds so much better. Stock Android sound is an underpowered mushy mess.

sami likes this.
  14. sami

sami Mono still rules

UAPP is a game changer. I just hope Amazon hops on board before long.

I've been looking at the Basso since I saw you post about it earlier. I'm going to wait to see if something happens re: UAPP with Amazon before I think about getting a DAC dongle. Thanks again for the info.

15. allegro

allegro Well-Known Member

Don't hold your breath waiting for Amazon to make changes to Amazon Music HD or integrate with anything they don't sell.

sunspot42 and ClassicalCD like this.
  16. danner

danner Forum Resident

They did finally relent on allowing Chromecast compatibility with Prime Video a few months ago, but yeah, Amazon has little incentive to play nice with others.

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

I’m using an iPhone X with a Dragonfly Red, default is 24/48 without the Dragonfly but the app says 24/92 when I’m using the Dragonfly. I know this doesn’t really answer any questions...just more data.

sami likes this.
  18. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

They've made some fairly half-assed attempts to integrate with Heos and Blue Os, which they do sell, but aren't their products. I have no way to know this, but I think their lack of support for true hi-fi is due more to ignorance than anything else.

19. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I discontinued my subscription due to their poor interface with BluOs.

Tim S likes this.
  20. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

But what does the app say about the actual resolution the music is played in?

21. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

This month I decided to keep just one music streaming service. So I just cancelled Amazon HD and will be keeping Qobuz. I already cancelled Tidal last November. I just found myself using and enjoying Qobuz more on a daily basis than the other two. Very happy with their service for the most part.

22. sami

sami Mono still rules

Qobuz with UAPP sounds fantastic. Couldn't deal with the constant buffering.

23. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I haven't experienced any buffering using the BluOS app through my Bluesound node 2i via ethernet cable. I also mirror cast Qobuz using my phone with Chromecast audio with excellent results.

24. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

FWIW I have solid, but not fancy cable internet and I haven't had any buffering problems with any of the three main services regardless of streaming resolution.

vinylbeat likes this.
  25. sami

sami Mono still rules

I only have it with Qobuz. Bizarre.