Amazon HD Music goes live

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BubbaMc, Sep 17, 2019.

1. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

I contacted AudioQuest about this. They say that they have seen reports about this. But:“If the DragonFly lights up magenta, it is definitively playing at 24bit / 96 kHz.“

sami likes this.
  2. sami

sami Mono still rules

Thanks for that. I wonder if it's really a big tangible difference between 24/48 and 24/96?

3. Using ipad here, with Dragonfly 1.5 black, but both color on DAC, and the ipad Amazon HD app show the correct resolution, if available in 24/96 or 24/192. Am using the Camera USB adapter to lightning port on ipad mini. Same behavior when using ipad and camera adapter direct to USB DAC on Marantz PM7005 preamp.

4. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Hi, I just received and set up a new Samsung Tab A tablet and put Amazon Music on it. I'm playing a 24/96 music file, but the Amazon app says "now playing at 24/48". Would I be correct to assume that that is as high resolution as the tablet will play?

5. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Yes.

mtrot likes this.
  6. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Thanks!

SKBubba likes this.
  7. DozUK

DozUK Forum Resident

According to the Amazon Music HD FAQ's, the android app doesn't support an external DAC at this moment, so I wouldn't go down that route.

sami likes this.
  8. sami

sami Mono still rules

That's what I thought. Thanks very much.

DozUK likes this.
  9. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

I tried Amazon Music Unlimited HD over Christmas and New Year.

The sound quality was decent, even though I was only trying it out over Bluetooth from my phone to the car.

However, after less that a week I canned it as there was solo much that I wanted to listen to that is just not available in Amazon. All of this material was available on Deezer.

10. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

That surprises me - is it possible that the amazon selection is worse because of your geographic location (streaming rights and all that)?

I have no idea what you like to listen to, but I haven't found anything even close to Amazon for what I listen to. But, hey, if there's a free trial, I'll sure give Deezer a go.

11. MGW

No, not a geographical issue.
    All that I could not find on Amazon was available on Deezer. This ranged from relatively mainstream stuff to the admittedly more obscure, but still available on Deezer.

12. danner

danner Forum Resident

So far, I haven’t really noticed anything missing from Amazon that’s available on Spotify, but I’ve only really been using it for about a week.

My main gripe so far is the (predictable) lack of integration with Chromecast. I’m still trying to think of the best way to stream the ultra HD stuff to my stereo that doesn’t involve spending hundreds of dollars on new hardware.

sami likes this.
  13. sami

sami Mono still rules

Amen, brother.

danner likes this.
  14. MGW

I simply tried to add to My Music on Amazon all of the albums and tracks that I had favourites on Deezer. This resulted in some significant gaps in availability on Amazon.

15. DozUK

DozUK Forum Resident

Unless both your phone and car blue tooth receiver support aptx HD technology then the bluetooth stream will be downgraded to non HD (ie standard) when listening this way.

If you listen using wired hi res headphones for instance, the sound quality is incredible especially with ultra HD tracks.

Again, similar to the car, if you wanted to listen with wireless headphones both the phone and wireless headphones need to support the aptx HD standard or the stream via bluetooth will be downgraded to non HD.

This an important point to understand as you could be thinking you're getting HD/UHD when in fact you're not and your stream quality has been downgraded to standard.

This is despite what your phone is telling you (It could say it's playing at a high bit rate), the phone could be passing a HD/UHD stream through to bluetooth but if the receiver doesn't support aptx HD then it just plays standard.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    sami likes this.
  16. MGW

Thank you, I understand that perfectly well. Both the phone and my car support aptx hd.
    I did also try wired using my Klipsch X10i in-ears and the sound was pretty damn good in both instances.
    But, if you bother to read my post you will see that the issue was not one of sound quality but one of availability and curation.

17. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Has Amazon made HD available for the Fire Stick yet?

sami likes this.
  18. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Yes, but it appears to resample everything to 48k.

HiFi Guy 008 and Coltrane811 like this.
  19. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Well that sounds great. I was waiting for them to stream in HD on my Firestick. I'll check it out later today....

20. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Well, I just checked, and the best I'm getting on Ultra HD tracks is still CD quality (16/44). Maybe they'll be updating
    the stick soon.

21. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

So far the Dragonfly Red does not work correctly together with my iPhone SE and the app. It lights up in magenta regardless of resolution. Does everybody have this problem?

22. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

It’s because the app isn’t bit perfect so outputs everything at 24/192. For example when I use my Walkman as a USB DAC it always says the resolution is 24/192 no matter what I’m playing

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  23. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

At this moment in time Amazon HD is the go to medium .
    It is not the last word absolute sound quality but very rarely has delays or stoppages .
    The site is navigable for the most part but could do better with Classical .Often there is the need to put in more information in order to get the desired recording .

mtrot and sami like this.
  24. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Compared to Tidal? Really.

sunspot42, allegro and florandia like this.
  25. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

I had a real problem with Tidal as regards delays and stoppages which they were not able to fix …………...of course , it may have been a problem on my side but Tidal were unable to fix the problem as of 7 weeks ago ……….Tidal sound quality is a touch above Amazon but if they cannot deliver a coherent overall quality product then I have to buy the next best thing!

Freebird and Hymie the Robot like this.