Amazon HD Music goes live

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BubbaMc, Sep 17, 2019.

1. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

here in the us you can search in the tidal app without a subscription. You can also search in the spotify web player without a subscription.

2. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Apparently not in the UK though!

3. MGW

In the UK, Tidal no, Spotify yes, as far as I can tell. I guess as Spotify seems to have most content that does it. But still do not like the idea of Qobuz piggy-backing!

4. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

At least they make it possible to show them they should have it as it is available elsewhere. While You can request albums be made available to Spotify and Tidal they don’t get that information and ask you the customer to provide who the distributor is (if known so at least it’s an optional box to fill out). Now how many customers actually would know the answer to that and with Tidal’s and Spotify’s music connections why wouldn’t they already have that information and know what they are missing in the first place.?!(unless it’s a new and unknown independent musician I suppose)

5. MGW

Fair point, and going back to where this started, Amazon's attitude is that they simply do not give a s-h-1-t!

... HD or otherwise, which is a shame as Amazon HD is the best sound that I have found from any streaming service as yet (in my setup of course).

sunspot42 and Tim S like this.
  6. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Definitely agree with you on that! Something I forgot to post earlier is that you could also contact Qobuz’s customer service and ask for any missing album(s) be added to their catalog without providing a competitors link here: Qobuz customer service and technical support. – Music downloads and streaming
    You can search Qobuz’s catalog through their download store without having a subscription to see generally what they should have available for streaming to see if you are interested in giving them a try beforehand. Maybe not 100% everything in their download store may be available to stream due to a licensing restriction but damn near 100% that is currently in the download store I think you will find available to stream on Qobuz plus more that are not available for downloads due to licensing restriction but are made available for streaming.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Staxus, MGW and sunspot42 like this.
  7. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

My experience with anything customer service related and amazon music streaming is not only do they not give a ___ , they rarely understand what the problem is or what you are even asking. Total waste of time with them.

Staxus, timind, ClassicalCD and 3 others like this.
  8. D700

D700 Just Add Scotch

Nothing is forever except for that half empty jar of something in the back of the fridge.

timind, cdgenarian and mtrot like this.
  9. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I'm becoming more and more convinced that there are no audiophiles at Amazon in engineering or management. If there were then some of them would have already escalated these issues internally and worked to get them fixed. The few proactive audiophiles at Amazon would have volunteered to work on Amazons HD streaming service once they became aware of that project through internal job openings or internal discussions.

Are the engineers and management at Amazon so overworked that they have no time to indulge in personal hobbies like being an audiophile or music collector? They make enough money to be able to indulge in things like that.

Microsoft managed to attract a few (pseudo) audiophiles to their Zune project. Why is Amazon having such difficulty getting the audiophiles and music collectors at Amazon to join the project?

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Amazon runs warehouses and server farms. Their entire toolkit revolves around logistics. They don't really understand hardware or software, let alone niche media. Nor do they give two hot ****s about it. Streaming media is just another screw they're trying to pound in with their server farm hammer, like many of the other businesses they've entered. The fact it isn't working for this niche product is hardly surprising - they've had similar challenges with far less niche products, like their disaster of a smartphone.

Mike-48, Runicen and ClassicalCD like this.
  11. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

The ancient Egyptians and I would beg to differ. :winkgrin:

cdgenarian likes this.
  12. Blowby

Blowby Static lp

Support is useless. Almost all songs stop for a second or two at exactly 1 min and 31 seconds. All songs are downloaded to my laptop HD and internet speed is 90 mbps. Their answer is uninstall and reinstall. Been there done that .

Anyone else having this problem?

13. sami

sami Mono still rules

I've only ever streamed from AmazonHD. I don't see any reason to download.

mtrot likes this.
  14. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

A bit off topic but Tidal has a strange quirk where if you want to shuffle a playlist or a bunch of files in the cue, you have to manually scroll the entire list to the bottom, select any song, and then push shuffle. If you just load the playlist, even if the songs are downloaded on the device, and push shuffle, it will just stop after two or three songs.

15. Hymie the Robot

I download songs on my phone only when I know I am getting low on my cellular monthly data allotment. When my new month resets, I go back to streaming.

16. sami

sami Mono still rules

Wow, I thought everyone had unlimited data at this point.

17. Hymie the Robot

I can't imagine paying for unlimited data when I only use about 500MB a month. I don't watch videos on my phone.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  18. sami

sami Mono still rules

I don't blame you, but as cheap as our plan is it's not an issue.

sunspot42 likes this.
  19. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

At my house, Amazon HD hasn't gone live, it's gone dead. I imagine it's good for some, but the lack of flexibility over audio output make it useless for me.

sunspot42 and Staxus like this.
  20. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I recently got a new iPhone 11 for work. It's my first iPhone ever. I have always been an Android guy. On my Android (LG V30), the size of everything on the Amazon Music HD app is the perfect size. On the iPhone, it is painfully small (it's also that way on the regular Amazon shopping app). I have made the font bigger and easier to read for the rest of the iPhone (email, text messaging, browser), but I haven't figured out how to make it larger on the app.

P.S. - I know this is more of an iPhone question than an Amazon Music HD question, but I thought I may be able to solve the problem here.

21. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Settings>Display & Brightness>View>Zoom

forthlin likes this.
  22. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, that didn’t work on the apps.

23. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

OK, then settings>app.

24. ghostofzuul

ghostofzuul Harvester of Sorrow

So today I noticed a little speaker in the corner of my amazon hd app (i'm using a mac)... i clicked on it and it showed all of my output devices... including my DAC (Teac ud-501), HDMI, built-in audio device... etc.

Still will only output the bitrate I set the DAC at though. In other words... if the song i'm listening to is 16/44.1 that's not what's coming out of my DAC. in my case my DAC is set at 24/176.4 and so everything streaming at that bitrate.

with that in mind i'm not sure what the benefit is of this latest feature.... sure i can direct what output device i want the signal from Amazon to go to... but it doesn't seem to be a direct connection. if it were a direct connection i would expect my DAC to behave as it does with JRiver. In JRiver whatever the bitrate of the file is... that's what's sent to the DAC. so if a song is 24/96 that's what the DAC reads.... so it would seem that as it stands... even though you can now select the output device now via amazon... you still have to manually change the bitrate to match the output of each song or album... or decide that everything that's not at the bitrate you specify will be either up or down converted.

i appreciate that it seems like Amazon may have been actually listening to us when we were requesting some control over device output... but if the device still reads the signal from the cpu and not the app then it seems like it defeats the purpose of that feature... maybe i'm missing something?

oh. re: the mobile app... in my case Android.... and still no ability to choose which DAC in my phone i would like to be the output device but i guess beggars can't be choosers and it's somewhat of a good sign that the desktop version is adding functionality? maybe?

JediJoker likes this.
  25. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Isn't your DAC just up sampling what it receives from source? My iTunes app is set to deliver up to 24/192 and my DAC is set to up sample all to 24/192. If I reset iTunes app to 16/44.1 the DAC would still up sample to 24/192.