Amazon introduces Autorip CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bonnerj, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

If you bought them through Marketplace, they won't appear in your Cloud library.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Oh, of course, I know that. I'm talking about stuff I bought from Amazon directly...

3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I've bought CDs from the UK store; it'll be interesting to see if those become available to me once Amazon UK starts doing this as well. The US and UK stores tie together their login information.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Oooh...That would be great, as I've purchased a lot of stuff from Amazon.co.uk, and ALL of that is from Amazon directly.

But I imagine even if they start the program in the UK, it will be blocked for US IP addresses.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That's it! I was looking at my Cloud Drive before.

I have 227 albums on my Cloud Player! And it looks like I can download them! I'll try to get some of them on my phone tonight.

drivingfrog likes this.
  6. omom

omom Forum Resident

Same here, I'm not seeing anything yet.

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Why would it be? As someone noted above, I think they integrate your login info and purchase history between the U.S. and U.K. sites. I know I've bought a ton of CDs from the UK site, such as the Kinks in Mono box and deluxe editions - it would be a nice treat to get auto-rip versions of those purchases. And I don't see what the legal issue would be preventing me from downloading those in the U.S. - I actually bought the physical CDs, and they shipped them to me in the U.S. - what's the problem with me downloading the mp3s as well?

8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It's easy enough to run a proxy.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

True, but they might decide if the item shipped outside of Europe you don't get it. And even if they just filtered on IP, setting up a proxy for portable devices like phones and tablets--where I would most likely use that library--is a pain in the butt.

10. WalterDigsTunes

WalterDigsTunes Forum Resident

I'd rather get a cheaper CD through Marketplace then rip to lossless. Given the price-to-quality ratios involved, its a no brainer. All the cloud shenanigans mean nothing to me, either.

Beech likes this.
  11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

After getting burned on a few recent "like new" purchases from Marketplace that were anything but "like new" when they arrived in my mailbox, I kind of like the concept of buying the new CD and getting the free instant mp3 download more than playing grading roulette on Marketplace. Your mileage may vary.

12. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I just got my email 5 minutes ago. 175 albums just popped up. Mostly crap that I gave as gifts. Having Celine Dion mp3s in there makes me feel a bit ill.

13. seg763

seg763 Forum Resident

130 albums 1547 songs

14. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I haven't gotten an email yet, and scanning my Cloud Player I don't think I have anything that was from a previous CD -- but I'll have to scan again. Some stuff I've gotten as gifts, so obviously those wouldn't count.

Can't really see any cons to this -- you buy a CD, or bought one in the past, and now you have a cloud version. And, as one person mentioned already, you still have it even after you sell the CD. So what does THAT mean? That all those "you sell the CD and you have to delete the rip" posters are now wrong? ;)

15. I have several "lone" tracks. Some are curious, like individual movements from Naxos (classical) CDs. The tracks must be on compilations or something. Otherwise, very little classical. Lots of my SACD (rock) albums have appeared.

16. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

It literally happened in the last 10 minutes - I just got an email and 50 songs popped up in my Cloud Player. :)

Nothing from the marketplace, and no vinyl purchases. Kind of expected that. Surprised that I had so few new CD purchases over the years, but I suppose that between gifts, marketplace, and non-Amazon CD purchases that it really was a fairly small amount.

17. omom

omom Forum Resident

Mine just arrived too. Don't see any of my Amazon UK purchases in the list.

18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

That's because Amazon UK hasn't introduced it yet. There's nothing on their homepage.

19. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Wow, this is pretty cool!

I love the convenience of it (not having to rip them myself, not having them count against the 250 tracks I can upload with my free Amazon account, etc.). This is a great benefit for Amazon customers.

I plan to use this instant playlist on my various portable (smartphone, Kindle Fire) and wireless (Roku, Samsung Smart Hub, laptop) devices as a convenient way to have a decent playlist comprised of many of my past purchases on Amazon.com over the years.

Here's what I just got (105 albums represented):

[​IMG] We've added 1601 songs from AutoRip CD purchases for free.
    [​IMG] We've upgraded 0 song(s) to 256 Kbps audio quality for free.
    [​IMG] We've added 70 songs from Amazon MP3 purchases for free.

20. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I've just had 900 songs added, and I live in Switzerland so there doesnt seem to be any licensing issues.

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Wow, I just went back to the Amazon cloud page, and I now have 1,069 auto-rip songs from CDs I've bought from Amazon over the years. :eek:

22. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

This is really pretty cool, and a nice unexpected surprise. Cheers to Amazon. :righton:

23. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

really ?
    i got nothing on my cloud yet ( and i bought stuff through amazon usa direct over the years )
    did you get an email notice ?

24. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

This is interesting... Got Auto-Rip songs from The Police studio albums, which I bought in 2003, as Single Layer SACDs!

25. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

I have Barry Manilow's Ultimate Collection, that I bought for my sister.. :hide:

somebodywhocares likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.