Amazon introduces Autorip CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bonnerj, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daverw

daverw Forum Resident

I received the e-mail about an hour ago and now have 2,899 tracks and 216 albums on my cloud. My first album dates from November 8, 2007 and that's nowhere near the first album I bought from Amazon. It is, however, when I first started using the e-mail address that I use now so I guess that was the determining factor for me.

As an aside, the first music I ever purchased from Amazon was Down Every Road, a boxed set by Merle Haggard that came out in 1996. I find that funny since country is probably the least represented genre of music in my collection. Hard to believe I've been a customer since '95.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

My earliest songs are from October 17, 1999. Apparently, I bought Sheila E The Glamourous Life that day. :)

3. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Amazon just loaded all my autorips onto my cloud drive, and this is just brilliant. I've now got a ton of music that I can access from any computer connected to the Internet, and I didn't have to lift a finger to do it. And I get a digital copy right away whenever I buy a CD? Great!

An odd bonus is that it's mostly the more obscure stuff that I like that I buy from Amazon; I try to go to my local record store to get more mass-market stuff. So the cloud playlist is a little off-center. Lots of blues.

I'm sure this is entirely an attempt to draw business away from iTunes and get more people using their cloud drive.

It is funny to have stuff you bought for someone else appear. That copy of the "Grey's Anatomy" soundtrack that I got for my wife as a gift? Right there!

4. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Amazon doesn't have the rights to sell Beatle mp3s, so they won't appear.

5. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

How about The Cheetah Girls 2 soundtrack that I bought for my then 9-year-old daughter? :laugh:

6. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Don't forget that it cuts both ways. I suspect Mrs. mschrist has a stack of John Mayall albums on her cloud drive that she could take or leave.

7. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The Pink Floyd Discovery box was added to mine. This is actually kind of nice since a lot of these CDs were stolen awhile back.

8. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

You can probably track down why that Willie Nelson album is in there, by first noting the "Purchase Date" displayed for that album in your Amazon Cloud Player, then going to your Amazon Account order history page and choosing the year of the "Purchase Date" you noted in the dropdown. Then you'll see a list of all your purchases for that year and you can scan through until you find out what you purchased on that particular date. Maybe you forgot you ordered a Willie Nelson album, or perhaps you will have discovered a mistake in their AutoRip processing. Did you play some of the songs to verify that they actually are Willie Nelson? Maybe they're another artist's music and they're mis-tagged?

Craig.

9. The first of 332 auto-rip albums date back to April 20, 1999. I definitely made CD purchases before that point on my Amazon account, though I am aware in 2006 that Amazon lost a bit of my data history as a customer.

10. I just checked my Amazon cloud and - while the autorip MP3s have yet to appear - the one full album I had (Lady Gaga's BORN THIS WAY) disappeared. Not that I really mind but it is odd.

11. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

I bought the MoFi Music From Big Pink and the tracks that ended up in my cloudthingy are labeled as 2000 remasters. I got the bonus tracks too, which aren't on the MoFi. Maybe they are matching things up by some kind of fuzzy text match instead of catalog number.

I'm not too concerned about which mastering I get of an mp3 I probably won't listen to and I already have the bonus tracks on the 2000 CD.

12. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

A pre order Steve Miller Band Rock Love album which doesn't even come out until next month on CD is in my cloud.

13. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Wow! This is interesting. I wonder if the enormous Beethoven box set I bought last year will show up in my cloud. My Doors Perception box set appeared as an autorip - wild! Thanks for the heads up on this!
    ---------- Chris

14. My rips showed up ..... but not the Blur 21 cd box.

I've bought surprisingly few cd's through Amazon, I guess.

15. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

No sign of my stuff yet. How are they rolling this out?

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Interesting. I, too, changed my main e-mail address two or three years ago, and I think that has cut me off from even more auto-rip music than I got, because there are probably dozens of CDs, if not hundreds, that I bought using that old e-mail as my Amazon log-in name.

Oh well, it's hard to get upset about something that was basically a nice free surprise to begin with.

17. rjraphael

rjraphael Forum Resident

Haven't checked my Cloud yet, but the email says that my Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" 3CD Expanded Edition pre-order is there ready for me to listen to.

18. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

That's strange, because over the last 13 years or so I've used at least three different primary email addresses on my Amazon account, going all the way back to 1999, when my earliest AutoRip-qualifying purchase was made. The last time I changed my email address with Amazon was about three years ago. Something else must be a factor for our differing situations, despite the fact that we both changed our primary email address with Amazon around the same time.

19. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I've used at least two email addresses, and possibly three. And I think my last email change was about four years ago - yet my audio-rips go back to 2002 (not my first audio CD purchase, but likely the first one that eventually made it to Amazon MP3 format).

20. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

So far I have 35 songs in there now. The oldest being "Singin' in the Rain" by Taco which was an MP3 download in 2009.

Other titles include the '12 remaster of Charlie Brown Christmas, Trooper, and Fountains of Wayne's latest.

21. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Mine said the same thing, but when I went there, only the official album was available to download.

Also, an error message appears at the top of the screen saying their server is overused and there are ongoing issues with the new service.

Still, I think it's pretty neat. I always appreciated that when I buy from ESP Disk, the best of both worlds. Instant gratification of the mp3 era, and a few days later the disc shows up.

22. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

Does this new initiative mean you can buy a CD from Amazon, download the MP3's then send the CD back for a full refund leaving you with the downlaods?

23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I think it means I may give more CDs as Christmas gifts next year. :D

24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Holy cow! I just got a message that they added 2276 songs to my cloud player, up from zero.

25. I will say this might help tip the scales for me in buying a CD from Amazon, over a slightly cheaper price from somewhere else. Google Play currently has a feature where it scans your hard drive for all your MP3s and will store them in its cloud to play, even if you didn't buy it from Google.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.