1. This day in history: January 12, 2002. 9:49 AM, California time. The Steve Hoffman Music Forums officially launched with this thread. Thank you for 20 years of music, discussion, and great memories! Join our "Thank You!" thread, and we'll see you in the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon just took down of of my LPs I had listed for sale

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by quicksrt, Jan 8, 2022.

1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, Amazon sent me an email stating copyright violation on an old Barbara Streisand Christmas Album that I have had listed for about 10 years with no issue (and no buyer either). It is not a copy, or oddity in any way. It is a late 70s Nice Price era pressing with no barcode. But I did not mention this in my listing, just stated that it was still sealed, no cuts no holes. And it has been up listed with no buyer for many years. I think it was priced at $14.99.

I sense that Sony music is not satisfied blocking most sellers from selling used CDs, but now wants to kick the seller's of vinyl off the site as well. I can't imagine what the infringement is with this old LP.

I might call Amazon to speak with someone, but they are likely to just state that it was flagged by a third party (Sony Music), and that they do not know exact reason, but the third party is copyright holder. Some runaround answer I would expect.

Anyone else seen a real genuine new old stock LP flagged for copyright infringement over there at Amazon?

My only concern is that I might start to see many of my listings get kicked to the curb just because they can. Hate to start off the new year with this nonsense. It makes me glad I have a Discogs account in wonderful standing and two ebay accounts both with strong positive feedback. One really must diversify your listing places in this uncertain times we are in. I had just listed 5 items over at Amazon two days ago thinking I need to beef up my sales there. Now I am not really sure.

2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I'm surprised you still had listings up on Amazon. I thought they basically made it nearly impossible for individuals to sell music or videos on their site a few years ago. I don't recall the details, but didn't they implement some sort of requirement that the seller prove ownership (invoices/sales receipts from when the item was purchased by the seller) in order to continue selling?

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Amazon became openly hostile to small party music sellers a few years ago, requiring invoices for items you're selling for many listings. (And invoices of the type you WILL NOT have--not just a form showing you bought it from a local store).

There are some listings you can still list on, but a lot more that will block you. It sucks.

BTW, the transition occurred shortly after GoHastings shut its doors. GoHastings was the last 2-ton gorilla keeping the market for cheap used product open.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    Dillydipper and Gene Parmesan like this.
  4. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Amazon must be hearing it from the majors....you can find CD's and LP's really dirt cheap if you search. GoHastings must have sold their massive inventory...their Amarillo warehouse could have parked the Goodyear blimp in it a few times over from their closed stores. I wonder where Second Spin's inventory went.

5. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I haven't bought anything on Amazon since they removed the small sellers.

6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

As a practical matter I suppose Amazon can do whatever it wants. But as a matter of curiosity I don't quite understand how they can remove a used LP on the basis of a copyright claim - what's the legal basis for that? As far as I know anyone has the right to sell an LP they own, yes?

7. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

It's probably a response to the amount of counterfeit items available to purchase online, though I don't know if they made similar changes to rules regarding who can sell clothing online -- another category where there is a lot of faked merchandise.

tmtomh likes this.
  8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Anyone can claim anything. Amazon can say that it won't adjudicate, but merely abide by the takedown claim. The damaged party can counterclaim, but that's time-consuming and usually expensive (requiring a lawyer). A big label is a 2,000 pound gorilla who mostly gets its way.

Same thing happens on eBay. Try selling something like an America's Top 40 radio program and see what happens. They shouldn't be able to take you down, but eBay isn't going to stand in the middle and no one who gets bullied is going to spend the time and money to challenge it.

tmtomh likes this.