Amazon packaging.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Diorama, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

You want to know the weird part? I do have a Prime account.

2. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Yep, they're giving the pigs what they want, fast, cheap and in good enough condition.
    And business is good.....

But there's something folks here don't mention, not every Amazon customer buys vinyl.
    It's harder for Amazon to damage things like cellphone cases, toilet paper and rubber dildos that are properly packaged than it is a piece of vinyl not properly protected by the manufacturer.

ScramMan2, Dave and mpayan like this.
  3. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is strange!

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Are you speaking from first-hand knowledge about the items that I highlighted in BOLD type above? OR are you making an assumption? ... ;)

Matthew Tate and Efus like this.
  5. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I recently purchased several of those Complete Album Collection boxed sets. Each was shipped separately in a large padded envelope. Incredibly, none were damaged.

6. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I have only had one vinyl album that was loosely packed in a large box with those air pollows, it arrived undamaged. All my other vinyl has shipped secured in a cardboard envelope packed within a larger box. I have been pleased with them, so far. I’m a prime member, but not sure that makes a difference.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

remember when amazon was pushing 'prime' as the greatest thing 'ever'.......coincidentally they began raising free shipping prices at exactly the same time...first to $35....then to $45.......after they got their quota of 'prime' subscribers the free shipping miraculously went back down to $25.

amazon prime might just be the biggest rip-off on the planet. $100 a year......for...free shipping? that is a whole hell of a lot of shipping.

as for packaging.......i agree 100%.......over sized envelopes, CD cases that come apart or open and the discs slide all over the place etc etc etc.

amazon is just TOO big.........send it back, we'll send you another one, we don't care, we'll just sell more.

Matthew Tate, Galley and Opeth like this.
  8. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Without wishing to be an Amazon apologist, you get Prime video and music streaming included in the £7.99/mth fee, or at least you do here.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  9. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I constantly have issues with amazon and amazon uk not packaging things correctly. I keep buying and I keep making them pay for it when it happens. I always give feedback on how to prevent this stupidity. They seem happy to pay for it so who am I to argue ?

10. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

Only the bottom left corner was somewhat bent. Nothing major and certainly not worth the hassle of sending it back. I did however send them a little note in the "packaging feedback" section about it.

sunking101 likes this.
  11. I've been using Amazon since the 1990s and have been a Prime user since Amazon first started that shipping program.

I also order hundreds of CDs each year, though not exclusively from Amazon.

In my extensive experience, CDs rarely arrive anymore without some crack in the jewelcase. If you want pristine cases, Amazon is definitely not your retailer of choice in 2017.

Amazon used to package CDs very well, but that hasn't been true for several years.

steelydanguy, ScramMan2 and Galley like this.
  12. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Last year my wife ordered the Bowie At The Beeb 4 LP set from Amazon, and whoever they subcontracted it to just took the shrinkwrapped set, slapped a label on, and let it go. Of course the box was ruined by the time it got to me. It took a couple more attempts with Amazon before she gave up and got it from Barnes & Noble, who did it right the first time.

Amazon's too big, and they don't care. They don't have to.

Matthew Tate and Robber Soul like this.
  13. chromium

chromium The power of the riff compels me.

Same here, ordered the Dylan 35th anniversary concert vinyl box and it arrived just like that. Box in original shrink wrap with the Amazon label stuck on. Of course all 4 corners of the box were crumpled. Never even bothered to open it, called customer support and they were very apologethic and told me to send it back for a full refund.
    They sent me a link with two documents, one was a return address label and the other one was a slip I was supposed to.... put in a box along with the item.

I was feeling kinda flippant and called them again, asking for instructions, I was supposed to put the slip and the Dylan box back in a box and return it to them ?
    What box ? It came without a box ! I was told they would ring me back, which they did. Explained the whole thing again, got a lot of apologies etc, and told them I had no box to return everything and wasn't about to go out and buy a box.

I must come across rather petty right now, but I thought it was disgraceful they would just send something fragile and not cheap without any kind of box or protection. In the end they told me to just stick the new label over the old label and send the item back without a box.

Like somebody else said, they just don't care.

Robber Soul likes this.
  14. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

4) When an item is returned damaged, it gets resold as a damaged item. So the loss they incur is less than we would think, if at all. They have it figured out to the penny.

Matthew Tate, Galley and mpayan like this.
  15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Not petty at all. Just know who youre dealing with. An ugly giant monster of a company.

chromium likes this.
  16. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident Thread Starter

I buy vinyl through Amazon but not from Amazon directly.

17. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Maybe I'm just paranoid because I live in really ****ty neighborhoods, but my bigger concern would be theft. Anybody can see what it is, anybody who has heard David Bowie's name (which is virtually everybody on earth since January of 2016) knows it would probably be worth something. And they can say that it was just damaged and it probably was. Post office, neighbors, anyone.

Damage to these super expensive things sucks, but I would immediately stop using a service if they did not attempt to conceal the item in any way. That to me is way more upsetting than damage.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I think I am done with Amazon. The last 3 times I've ordered single LP's they've all arrived in a 20"x14"x6" boxes with some brown paper thrown. Just ridiculous. 2 of 3 arrived damaged. I just returned them and purchased elsewhere.

19. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

My Beatles vinyl box set was packaged very well. It came in the manufactures shipping cardboard box secured within a larger box.

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

got 2 CD's in the mail yesterday form amazon, both digipaks thank god.

packaged in an envelope that was 13" x 10"....the CD's were sliding everywhere, had they been jewel cases there is no way they would have survived.

terrible terrible packaging, and getting worse, not better.

21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Just received an envelope containing 2 Johnny Mathis CD's I ordered. For what must be the 3rd or 4th time in recent history the envelope had been partially ripped open enough to check out the contents. Whoever did it was thankfully not a fan of my ordered music and let the package continue on to be delivered.
    Boxes are never tampered with. It is just the cheap, padded envelopes that are seemingly always ripped open for "inspection". BTW, the jewel case on one of the CD's does have 2 small cracks in it. No big deal.

I called and reported it to an Amazon rep who took it very seriously, but admitted it was almost impossible to trace this type of package tampering. I strongly retorted with "Then don't send anything out in a non-tamper proof package!"

Just passing this on. Oddly enough, thankfully I do not have any issues with any other delivery service as far as tampering or stolen merchandise is concerned.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It's Sunday, so it must've been Amazon Flex ? He's right, could've been anywhere along the line. I haven't experienced that myself, yet.
    Hell, I was surprised to have received a brand new album yesterday, in an actual mailer !!! :yikes:

[​IMG]

23. Amazon does have a tamper-proof package, but it offers virtually no padding. It's not particularly designed for CDs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Almost every time it's cracked cases with Amazon. I switched to importcds.com. They're a lot cheaper and I wait until I have enough to ship in a box. They actually know how to pack a package.

Myke likes this.
  25. Cliffamuford

Cliffamuford Active Member

Wish I would have known about this problem with Amazon sooner. Just received an order of 15 Zappa CDs in 4 separate thin yellow envelopes crammed into my mailbox. Of course 9 of the 15 had cracked jewel cases - surprised any survived at all. I had assumed they would have put that many CDs in a box of some sort. What is the logic in their methods?

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.