Amazon Prime worth it?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Beholdentonoone, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not sure if this is the right forum but for those members with Amazon Prime do you find it's worth the $79 a year fee? Do you make that back in free shipping? I also saw some forum members received 10% off coupons and was wondering if that was due to their Prime membership?

2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I think it is awesome. The free two day shipping is great, and the streaming selection is far superior to Netflix.

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Depends on how often you order from Amazon.

starduster likes this.
  4. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Often the free 2 day shipping takes only 1 day!

Sreoch likes this.
  5. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

I've been an Amazon Prime member for 3 years. They have a great (if not better than Netflix) selection of streaming TV/movies, free book loans if you own a Kindle, and of course the free 2-day shipping.

The free shipping alone allows me to get my money's worth. Anything that I can buy from Amazon that I want or need, I buy from Amazon (to get it for cheaper + no tax), put it on an Amazon.com card (for points) which I pay off. It's quite a money saver and so far their service has never let me down (returns, damaged items, etc. have all been taken care of).

Prime is quite a money saver if you're committed to buying from them, and can help yield great rewards in Amazon credit, air miles, other gift cards/credits if you use their card.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Oh Hell yes ! I watch NYPD Blue on my lunchbreak, then go home at night to the UPS or Fed Ex driver bringing me new toys 1 to 2 days after I ordered them !!!!
    I just snatched up 3 Allman Brothers CDs that are long OOP for only $17.95 TOTAL, and they'll be here either tomorrow, or Friday at the latest.
    Also...you can sign up to 4 household members too !!!!
    I've had Prime for years now, and LOVE it !

Clanceman likes this.
  7. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

The two-day shipping is great, and I feel it is worth it. The streaming TV and movies is a nice bonus.

Does it make sense to have both Amazon Prime and the Netflix streaming service? I recently got Amazon Prime which means I currently have both, but if it's all pretty much overlap, I could save a few buck by getting rid of Netflix streaming.

8. Beholdentonoone

I didn't even know about the streaming tv/movies only the free 2 day shipping. Are the streaming tv/movies free w the membership? Can my wife and I both use it or is it for 1 dedicated user?

9. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

SO worth it. Our family gets its money's worth on shipping during the holidays alone. Two shipping on all prime items and streaming video = awesome!

10. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Best 79.00 I've ever spent! Just about every music title at my door on or even before the street date, with the free shipping. When I started I thought it would ship on the release date, not the case. You get an "it's been shipped" email a day or two before the release.

11. Myke

We do. He's in his room, I'm in mine.

12. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

I do find it worth it. With Amazon Prime, almost all things are shipped UPS. Free UPS shipping would be a boon to me even if it took longer than two days, just because it comes with reliable tracking, unlike USPS. (USPS may offer tracking on some things, but not, in my experience, reliable tracking.) The fact that this free shipping with reliable tracking puts items in my hands in only two days is icing on the cake.

13. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I'll 7th? or 8th? the motion. The free 2 day shipping is worth it alone, but as the owner of a Roku, it's really a no brainer. Plenty of free movies to stream, plus pay-per-view for recent titles, all HD quality with 5.1.

14. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

It does in my case depending on where they ship from. I ordered a CD yesterday that will be delivered today with their Prime free shipping.

15. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

it is REALLY worth it. I only pay $39 or whatever because I have Student prime but when that expires ill still get the regular version.

I can't live without two day shipping now, and often times will pass on other websites that charge shipping. I would buy more from Music Direct, etc if I had free shipping on one record.

You really get your moneys worth on LARGE items. I had a BICYCLE shipped to a family member and it took two days. It was insane. I have also started sharing my account with my mom and dad so they can get the free shipping.

As far as the streaming goes, I don't watch any of it. To me it looks the same as netflix so I don't bother looking much.

16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

There are a lot of free streaming shows, but the newer stuff you will have to pay for.

17. abt4u

abt4u Forum Resident

From what I understand, when you share an Amazon Prime membership, only one dedicated user can have the free streaming tv/movies, but 3 additional dedicated users can share the free 2-day shipping. When I first bought my Amazon Prime membership, I thought that up to 4 dedicated users could share everything (streaming movies/tv and the free 2-day shipping). This was not the case. Only one dedicated user gets the free streaming moves and TV programs, which is the user who originally purchased the membership. The only thing that is shared is the free 2-day shipping.

Still a great deal, and you shouldn't have any problems since I assume you and your wife can watch streaming video together, using your Amazon login.

18. Beholdentonoone

OK I bit based on the 100% positive comments. I think I'll start w the Skydog Box Set. Will be great to get that in 2 days w free shipping.

Thanks for the advice/opinions everyone much appreciated.

One last question. Can you access the movies/tv shows when traveling outside the USA or is it region restricted somehow?

19. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Indeed. I wanted to clean up a garden last summer and ordered a rototiller from Amazon during my lunch hour on a Friday. With Prime, I purchased express shipping for an extra $3.99 and it was delivered to my door at 9:30AM the following morning, just in time for me to get tilling.

Myke likes this.
  20. Myke

Okay, now do me a favor, and get in the habit of pre-ordering things you really want. You'll lock into whatever the lowest price is until midnight the day of release. Skydog...I see today it's $114.44. Jan. 15th I locked into $106.66. It didn't stay that low for long, but that's what I paid.
    You can alwayc cancel the pre order until about 48 hours before the release date.

21. It's not worth it for me, but it could be for a major Amazon buyer.

22. Beholdentonoone

Great advice (as always) MYKE...you are a Sage of the Forum!!!

23. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Just started it and I like it so far. Looks like a "keeper" for my family. Give it a whirl.

24. Myke

Actually, I'm so tight, I squeak when I walk. But thanks. :laugh:

* I'm surprised how many people I've enlightened to ordering food online : There's always a place for discounts and specials, but people don't click on them, and spend more than they have to ?!?!?

25. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

Speaking of which, you can add at least one additional family member (possibly more) to your Prime account, allowing them two-day shipping and possibly (not certain) the other perks too. My young sister-in-law lives with us during her college years and she's taken advantage to order books and supplies for school, which typically require a rapid turnaround.

sennj likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.