Amazon Retires Music Storage

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by snowman872, Apr 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

I.too,got this message and emptied whatever Amazon was still holding,but can somebody explain to me like I'm a six year old if there is a connection with this step and Amazon's advancement into cloud services way beyond this piddling notice?

snowman872 likes this.
  2. crookedbill

crookedbill Forum Resident

Sucks, but I can't say this enough - Back up and store your entire music collection on multiple hard drives! I've got multiple cloned drives, at least one kept in a fire/water-proof safe.

Worked way to hard and spent way too much money on my music collection over the decades to have it all disappear in the cloud.

3. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

And during all this time you did not rip your CDs and kept local copies?

Lost In The Flood and tmtomh like this.
  4. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

But they'll be able to recoup their losses via a policy purchased from Amazon Insurance!

PhantomStranger and snowman872 like this.
  5. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I believe the OP said he ripped them once and then uploaded them to Amazon's cloud service. But I'm kind of amazed if, in fact, he did not keep local copies as well.

"The cloud" sounds great until you remember that it's simply network-connected offsite storage, and your ongoing ability to access said storage hinges on the whims of a corporation and its business objectives. That, and the common belief that uploading something to the cloud in itself constitutes a "backup" - you don't really have backups unless you have three copies of a file, at least one of which is offsite.

6. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Which they'll also discontinue before "all the paperwork is properly finalized". And who's going to stop them?

snowman872 and cdash99 like this.
  7. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I did, but not in any (global) organized fashion. The files are spread over a variety of hard drives, computers and burned media assembled over the years. It would take a lot of time to consolidate and organize them all and there's only so many hours in the day. I usually have more pressing matters to attend to. Also, one of my external hard drives recently failed. Not from lots of use, just from sitting on the shelf. Thanks Seagate!

The Amazon Music Storage collection represented all my efforts in the aggregate.

melstapler and RayS like this.
  8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Anyone who uploaded to any service and did not keep a full backup set of files deserves to get their cloud of tunes deleted out from under them. Aren't we now beyond just trusting that everything will be just fine and dandy?

Dave and black sheriff like this.
  9. snowman872

Can't really say I feel like I "deserve" this. I trusted Amazon, one of the world's leading data storage providers with a paid service. I think it was reasonable to expect them to provide this storage service so long as I continued to pay for it. Even more so since they increased the limit of songs a few years ago, from 100,000 to 250,000. Customers have an valid expectation that a so call "reputable" company will not pull the rug out from under them in my view. These shenanigans will Amazon will be very costly to them in the long run. Dissatisfied customers will abandon them just as quickly like I have.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    melstapler and PhantomStranger like this.
  10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

All of the biggies, the super-power companies do what appears to be cruel and mean, and even fatal moves against their customers. eBay was one such company that kept chipping away at their seller's profit margins until it was not profitable for many to see there anymore. They kept changing the rules and raising fees. And then changing rules that resulted in higher fees. And then again and again. It just never stopped. It killed off a lot of sellers completely. And it took the fun out of it for many others.

From what I have read Amazon has started sticking it too their sellers as well. Little bits of charges here and there and firing some sellers who deal in lower cost goods. And even killing off their higher end sellers by finding out where they get their goods, finding the wholesale vender, buying a ton of the item and going head to head with a long term seller of that exclusive item - undercutting their prices, etc.

Demanding that any Amazon seller never offer an item at a lower price elsewhere including the sellers own web store where they do not have all the fees to pay. That is called "price fixing" I think and it has not held up in other countries where Amazon has presence.

Anyway it's not right what they are doing to the music storage cloud customers, but it should not be a shock, as these powerful companies are all about their profits and future customers. They don't see music as a future growth area - and so to them that customer base can piss-off.

11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Trust???

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's just a name that they used to put on the front of banks.

13. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I agree. When a buddy of mine built my first PC in the 90s this was the first rule that he taught me, always backup your files.

SandAndGlass, quicksrt and hvbias like this.
  14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I totally feel your pain. As I mentioned in the thread I started in a different forum (which I guess will be merged with this one?), I still have all the CDs, and I even have the files stored on 2 separate hard drives. But I spent literally hundreds of hours getting everything nice and neat in "the cloud" so I could access my music digitally on all different platforms. "Alexa" has proven to be a very nice addition to my home, so I can listen to music in the kitchen or while in the shower. Clearly Amazon wants to sell streaming subscriptions via Alexa, and the one in a million crack pot like me who uploads over 100,000 songs is not their target market. :)

snowman872 likes this.
  15. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Unfortunately not paying attention has its drawbacks. IMDB closed down their customer forums sometime ago and Amazon itself has been messing with item reviewers and commenting functions for several years restricting user interactivity. I don't use Amazon except for gift cards. Amazon is not in the business of catering to you except to the point of delivery. After that aloha baby.

ClassicalCD and snowman872 like this.
  16. snowman872

Sorry, wrong on all three accounts. It wasn't "old", it wasn't free (beyond 250 songs) and many people continue to use it to this day.

17. snowman872

+1 ... exactly. You get it Ray. It wasn't easy to try and get your library online and in decent shape with this aggravating service. And, like you I also purchased some Alexa accessories in order to access and play my library easily. One thing is for sure, I will never join their streaming music service. And I cancelled prime earlier this year, even before their greedy grab to raise the price another $20 this week.

ClassicalCD and RayS like this.
  18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It was kind of mean to say you deserved this. I should have just said you should not have been surprised by it at all. You did not deserve it, sorry about it.

snowman872 and RayS like this.
  19. snowman872

No sweat quick ... Thanks for your apology and have a great day.

20. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

If they're all up in Amazon's cloud, organized and tagged to your specifications...why don't you just download them and re-upload elsewhere? Surely they have given you a notice and didn't just flip a switch. As mentioned previously, Google's is free (for mp3). I don't know where you're going to get free cloud storage for lossless, but...there are options.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  21. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

There are never any drones out here anymore. People shoot them....... I know it's against the law but you have to catch them.

22. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

That was my initial thought when they introduced them. Before they finished the sentence I pictured a guy with a rifle in a lawn chair waiting for deliveries to fly over his house. People suck and there's nothing you can do about it.

23. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

That's kind of rough but it's true.

quicksrt likes this.
  24. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

I guess some of them will do it to steal the delivery but a lot of folks are paranoid and think the government is spying on them.
    It's silly and a little funny. I would rather go down and pick up my package before I would want to use a drone. Less hands = less problems.

Dave likes this.
  25. Probably the most insightful encapsulation of this business shift. Amazon and eBay didn't really want to be in the business of providing a platform anymore for independent sellers and traders. Their business plan didn't require those kind of sellers anymore. But they also didn't want the public relations backlash of just announcing one day they were getting out of those markets - so they chipped away step by step until virtually no one remained. It was a carefully planned strategic withdrawal designed to remove most sellers from their platform without generating massive amounts of bad will with the current userbase.

melstapler and snowman872 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.