Amazon selling used cd’s as new

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by rickjuh, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickjuh

rickjuh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Got a delivery from amazon containing a back catalogue album. Nicely sealed,new jewel case but old booklet and buffed cd inside! Bought as new from amazon itself...
    Is this common practice now? They said oops mistake...
    Anyone else who has had this happen?

2. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Amazon's database has very little integrity--lacking or inaccurate metadata, mixed-up reviews, seller-generated records (those are garbage and easy to spot), etc., so I am not surprised you had this experience. One thing Amazon is good at, though, is giving refunds. One time I purchased something from them that turned out to be actual trash--a broken CD in a smashed case delivered in a sandwich baggie, with an "Inspected by" sticker on the bag to indicate that a human Amazon employee actually looked at the trash and deemed it okay to ship to a paying customer. (I did get a refund, and was allowed to keep the trash, which I promptly threw away.)

3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

This happened in November. The box on the right in the first photo was sold to me as new. The second photo is of the same "new" box. I hope this isn't a future trend with Amazon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I've noticed this many times from Amazon. Never fooled me though.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

That's you. You're a collector. Plenty of others will let this crap slide because they don't want to cause a stink OR they think that's what the new product is like so it is what it is.

I'll be honest - I use Amazon, but I hate them with a deep running hate. They're an awful company and if this is going to be the norm...well...I really need to find somewhere new to shop.

Remy, Paully, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Amazon is increasingly using third-party sellers to fulfill orders. The product is held in Amazon's warehouse and is shipped via Prime, but the actual stock is owned and managed by someone else; Amazon takes a cut of the sale but only manages the transaction between the customer and the Amazon affiliate.

I've requested several refunds and they've always come through.

Amazon's Third-Party Prime Sellers Are Tarnishing Its Reputation For Customer Service

'It's a double-edged sword': How third-party sellers navigate Amazon's marketplace amid changes - Digiday

7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I have had stuff like that happen with records. The worst example was an "Axis: Bold as Love" mono LP that came with no wrap of any kind on the jacket, just loose in the box. The listing was definitely for a new, sealed copy. But, as others have said, they are great at taking returns, and the next one I got was sealed and perfect.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  8. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Not really a collector but I've noticed the way its wrapped when it's sent to me.

They put it in a weird wrap and staple "new" when it should be "like new"

9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Amazon does this, and not their resellers? Absolutely deplorable.

But they’ve been my go to for years without a problem like this.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Was this specifically Amazon or someone doing the fulfillment for Amazon?

11. You gotta also really carefully read the fine print, these days. They sell some things as CD-r’s. I made that mistake once. Never again.

12. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Especially as Amazon's Autorip releases have decreased I've been more than happy to use places like Import CDs and MovieMars as my go to for new cds. Sure it takes a few days longer than Amazon's insane 2 day shipping, but for the most part these other retailers are matching or beating Amazon's prices on music, and I feel more comfortable supporting them. I love ordering something from Amazon and getting it two days later, but then I think about the crushing pressure Amazon employees (or most likely "independent contractors") are put through to make that turnaround a reality, and it doesn't feel as good anymore.

13. Further

Further Forum Resident

Thankfully, this hasn’t happened to me yet but they did send me an album one time (Van Morrison - Moondance) with the shipping label stuck right on the shrink wrap of the record! It was actually shipped like that! I couldn’t believe it. Miraculously, it wasn’t damaged at all.

Rooster_Ties and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Both my Dylan The Complete Basement Tapes and Elvis '68 Comeback Special box sets were ordered with a new listing from amazon.com and both were obviously from third party sellers. They even had sticker over the barcode on the plastic that said "New" on them. I received a 20% refund on both.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

This happens with blu-rays too - I will never buy another criterion from them as they too often seem to be someones return.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

That's crazy! Amazon didn't even ship the CD set in an outer cardboard shipping box?

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  17. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Nope. I've read some accounts here that they do that occasionally with vinyl!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I have bought innumerable cd's, dvd's, blurays and even vinyl from amazon and never received anything as second that was was supposed to be new.

If I did, I would send it back and get another. I have never had any trouble sending anything back for any reason

Jrr, Holy Diver, Nycademon and 2 others like this.
  19. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

This never happened to me. Quite the opposite, actually. Today I received a used SACD from a Japanese seller on the German Amazon marketplace. It was sold as Very Good, but a received a Near Mint disc, with Mint artwork including a completely undamaged OBI.

20. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

It’s happened to me as well... confronted the seller via e-mail but didn’t receive a response, so I got my cc company to commence chargeback proceedings - that’ll teach em’!

21. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

barnes and noble stores so this too with dvd's

mark winstanley likes this.
  22. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Just had a spate of items that I think should've been listed as Like New or even Used from them, first time.

23. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Um, why?? You complained because it didn't come direct from Amazon? Oookay.

Lost In The Flood and ubertrout like this.
  24. ChrisInKansas

ChrisInKansas Forum Resident

We had an issue like this over the holiday. Bought Sheryl Crow’s Tuesday Night Music Club for Xmas through Amazon. New sealed. Friend opened it and found self-titled CD. Asked for another copy, it came “new sealed” this time with The Globe Sessions inside! Yes, rwo copies “new” with two different CDs inside. That seller was reported but likely nothing will happen. Their negative review by us was even removed.

I was surprised that that CD is apparently out of print.

25. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

I find that practice deplorable. They tell you plainly on the site, but I still think it stinks. For many of the titles they offer as cd-r on demand, there are plenty of first run originals still in circulation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.