Amazon to (temporarily) STOP stocking vinyl

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Brendan K, Mar 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I heard like 12-15 hours or so on metal and plastic but it changes constantly

2. Dave, NunoBento and melstapler like this.
  3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I plan on visiting a local outlet this aft.

Have to admit before even this news of Amazon not shipping (is it true?) purely entertainment goods had previously occurred to me in the sense that I feel cds and DVDs and such are far less a proportion of Amazon's offerings than was the case 15 or more years ago.

I may place a new DVD order soon just to see what happens..

4. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

You will still be able to purchase from third party sellers

Jmac1979 likes this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Can I still get new Pearl Jam album?

6. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Can we get a sticky post somewhere with a list of indie record stores that have online libraries and do mail order? I'd like to support them at this time, but I don't know who to buy from.

NunoBento and ScaryMercedes like this.
  7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Talk about click bait.

Yesterday Amazon sent out an email saying that they were basically not going to accept new stock of anything but essentials in the warehouse. That meant records yes but also everything else under the sun. Everybody who buys from Amazon got that email.

They're still selling vinyl. They're just not accepting new stock of vinyl in the warehouse starting today. We could also have the exact same article about keychains or jars of pickles.

8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

A lot is going to be permanently changed by this crisis. Things won't turn off, and then back on. Peoples habits will change, businesses won't survive, and so on. For Amazon and the like, this is a business opportunity. It's an opportunity to expand their reach even farther.

That's just business. The downside is for those who have to work to make it all happen.

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I really couldn't give a f*** about vinyl deliveries but I do think this over the top hysteria is not good. People are sadly going to die but we should be trying to carry on as normal. Otherwise the financial cost will be huge with people losing jobs, businesses, housing etc. We can't just shut everything down that's nuts.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Agreed

11. Deliver by the band directly, apparently.

12. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I have lots of pre-orders in. I'm guessing that stock won't arrive. Once this crisis comes to an end, I'm hoping stock comes in and everything gets sent out. A lot of us have Spotify and the like for new releases to tide us over. If not, this is a situation where streaming comes in handy.

13. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I've found Amazon to be spotty with new vinyl releases lately, so I'll just go to the artist's website and get it there if possible.

14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I don't think there's anywhere near as much care and empathy for others these days. So much of what I read and hear is mostly from the perspective of "me, me, me, me." It's a sickness in society that's leading us down some dark paths as a society.

That said, you have to think about your own situation, and which things are within your power to change. The idea that a country can close up shop for three months, with mortages going unpaid, rent unpaid, credit card payments deferred, and so on - I can't get my head around how that can possibly work. I went to the local store (a Lidl's) yesterday at 8:15am (15 minutes after they'd opened) and it was CARNAGE already. Empty shelves, no paper goods, no tea, etc.

I don't know about others, but I'm on a series of medications, and without them I'm going to be in serious trouble. They can't just close all the chemists.

When it comes to Vinyl deliveries.... of course, in the grand scheme of things it's an irrelevance. However, I wouldn't underestimate the psychological impact of getting a delivery. Getting mail makes it at least feel like something is going on, that normality is still a thing to an extent. If everything stops it's a madness. In other words, are people pining for their Vinyl, or is the underlying question: What is going to happen to the world?

lightbulb likes this.
  15. Perspective and context:

The virus has now infected more than 200,000 in at least 144 countries. The death toll passed 8,200 globally and 100 in the U.S.

Coronavirus Live Updates: Nations Pledge Trillions to Stave Off Economic Catastrophe

16. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I read the title as “amazon to stop stacking vinyl”

the truth is far more disappointing

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Which is tiny really compared to the Flu, which has killed 20,000 in just the US alone this season.

People are over-reacting imo which will cause even more harm latter down the line.

ANALOGUE OR DEATH, zphage and Carl80 like this.
  18. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

God I hope the Goats Head Soup re issue isn’t delayed. No touring now Mick, come on.

19. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Here's a start:

Rough Trade – Independent purveyors of great music, since 1976
    Amoeba Music | The World's Largest Independent Record Store
    Plaid Room Records - Quality Vinyl
    Port of Sound Records Vinyl Records
    Home | findersrecords
    https://www.discogs.com/seller/cultureclashrecords/profile
    https://hivoltagerecords.com/
    http://www.lunamusic.net/
    https://www.turntablelab.com/

Please add to the list.

20. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

The over reaction here in the UK is ridiculous, mass hysteria at its worst, sad times at the moment.

Dave, ANALOGUE OR DEATH and Exitmusic like this.
  21. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Thank you!

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  22. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

I’m sure they already have thousands upon thousands of records on hand and not many that are hot sellers.

If you’re concerned about mail order, let the package sit a few days i I pin receiving.

23. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

Interesting, and does make sense. Staff should be focusing on filling orders for essentials. However, the longer this goes on, the more "other" things are going to become essential. As for third parties, it makes even more sense as the options for fulfilling orders may become more difficult as time goes on.

I placed a pre-order for a release that is supposed to come out in May and almost did so via Amazon. Who knows if that release will happen on schedule anyway, but I'm already looking forward to getting something fun in the mail so hopefully we get to hold onto that kind of stuff.

24. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

2 days on cardboard

25. Several local record stores in Seattle are delivering directly to local buyers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.