Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Amazon vinyl subscription

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by I Have Been Floated, Jun 13, 2021.

1. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

London Calling 2xLP just arrived, via UPS, and ... pretty bad corner ding. :realmad:

I'd been having such a nice long streak of flawless LP shipments from Amazon lately (all in those cardboard boxes with the interior "flaps" that really help hold the item in place throughout its journey), but this one came in a different cardboard box that I've never seen before, much thinner without much protection around the sides and corners. It's from some vendor called "Lilflatpack" ( Custom Packaging for Ecommerce - Lil Packaging ).

I'm all in favor of biodegradable materials; this damage I experienced is more due to design flaws in a package that is supposed to be designed to protect LPs, but does a poor job of that critically important task.

If they always send the Amazon Vinyl Club Subscription LPs packaged this way in the future, I won't remain subscribed for long.

[​IMG]

2. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

3. DemonPreyer

DemonPreyer New Member

KDubATX likes this.
  4. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

I just subscribed and my LP is The Who Sell Out - 2 LP set 2021. Think I'll keep that one.

CraigVC likes this.
  5. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Titles that have been offered so far in the Amazon Vinyl Subscription Club. They appear to change to a new/different title as often as every few days, so it could be interesting to keep a running list of what's been included. Maybe some of these titles will reappear again in the future as they are restocked?

• Pink Floyd - The Wall 2xLP
    • Black Sabbath - Master of Reality 1xLP
    • The Clash - London Calling 2xLP
    • The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street 2xLP
    • The Who - The Who Sell Out 2xLP

Not a bad start, so far.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If Amazon were so worried about third party sellers, all they would need to do is stop letting people post old versions of vinyl under the new issue stubs. The number of scratchy old copies listed under 180g new issue stubs is ridiculous.

hutlock and ScramMan2 like this.
  7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I guess whoever said that this is curated by some bot based on your previous purchases is right.
    Just for fun, I thought to subscribe, and I was curious to see what am I going to get.
    I haven't bought a single rock album from Amazon, it's all jazz for me. So, what am I getting?
    John Coltrane Giant Steps 60th Anniversary Edition (2 LPs).

8. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains I have come here to chew bubblegum…

Im just going to give it a try, why not

9. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains I have come here to chew bubblegum…

and im also getting giant steps haha

hutlock and 5-String like this.
  10. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

I had some gift card balance left so thought what the heck, may as well try it. Well, they won't accept gift card balance. Fresh debt only. I think I'll pass.

11. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Bots can't control that.

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

My guess is that the albums you get are "curated" using a filter like:

(New LPs carried by Amazon) | Filter (> 4* Amazon reviews) | Filter (Primary genre purchases from user's account or default rock) | Filter (Retail price < $40-something) | Filter (Top albums list from some 3rd party source) | Filter (60s or 70s) | Random(not_previously_purchased_or_sent) > Ship

The curation, if it occurs, replaces the automated filter on a 3rd party source.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It would be pretty easy to require that a UPC be entered. Almost all LPs issued after the early 1980s have a UPC, including all the available-as-new 180g issues. (Yes, there are some new LPs where the UPC is only on the shrinkwrap/stickers).

Someone could circumvent that by entering a UPC they found elsewhere, but at least this would put a lid on a lot of the nonsense.

Albums entered without a UPC could still be listed, but would show up in some generic version of the listing that would not appear in searches (except if you look at "all versions").

14. I Have Been Floated

I Have Been Floated Duke of Kirkcaldy Thread Starter

Looks like it's CCR- Chronicle this month

15. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Meh. The music is indisputably great, but compilations don't tend to have the best sound quality (except when engineers like our host take the time to track down the original masters of each track). Plus, I already have the Analogue Productions CCR box set of SACDs, mastered by Steve Hoffman.

If that's still the title that's offered when it hits my "Your Orders" page tomorrow, I might skip this month. Fingers crossed that they "sell out" of it and move on to a different title by tomorrow...

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You can buy that for $26.30 from Amazon, and you don't HAVE to get it. Saving $1.30 and having someone else decide what you get...maybe not the most attractive thing.

17. HarryB

HarryB Active Member

CCR Chronicle was my ROTM this month, I saw the email notice and, since I already own it, I tried to cancel the order but it would not allow me to do so. The album arrived in 2 days, I simply then clicked the return option and sent it back for free from my UPS store. Pretty painless, here's hoping I get some titles I like in the future, if not pretty easy to send them back.

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Just be aware that Amazon can AND DOES close and blacklist accounts (for life) for "too many returns." Not sure I'd burn all those on some stupid record returns from an auto-ship service.

black sheriff likes this.
  19. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Well, i would *hope* that these vinyl club subscription returns would be exempt from counting against you, considering the ease of returns is touted as a primary feature of the club. However, I know that's not always how these things work out. To be safe, I just canceled my CCR order as soon as it appeared in my "Your Orders" page. Cancelation processed in a minute. So I'm out for this month. See what title they offer me next month.

20. Marshman96

Marshman96 Forum Resident

so i subscribed on Wed, got London Calling today, canceled subscription resubscribed today getting The Wall on sunday. thats two different titles both discounted down to 24.99 in one week. not bad considering how expensive new vinyl is this year.