Amazon’s product switching tactics

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by btomarra, Dec 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

I and my family have run into an increasing experience from Amazon. You pull up an item searched by barcode or without a search. Their listing pulls up a picture of the item. You purchase it paying a high shipping fee. However, when it arrives you receive a different version or item. Usually inferior. This is a bait and switch maneuver!

I had that with a Kink’s cd. And I was not told before shipping the item I bought was unavailable. It was switched without my knowledge or consent.

Amazon asks you to write a product review. But if you honestly give them a low rating based on a bad experience, they will fix the problem but then expunge your review (cross it out with lines) so their artificial high rating remains intact.

Any other retailer I can use as I am growing weary with Amazon pulling this? Any recourse I have so they don’t censor me and my reviews?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  2. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I have bought several thousands of CDs over at least the past decade from Amazon. Never happened to me. Are you sure you were buying “sold by Amazon”... or was it sold by a third party seller on the Amazon platform? It is not uncommon to find third party sellers that are clueless about what they are selling.

Lost In The Flood and Matt I like this.
  3. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I was going to ask the same question as pscreed, the high shipping is the clue.

pscreed likes this.
  4. btomarra

You’re fortunate! The high shipping is Amazon. Shipping and taxes run higher than the item itself. Had the switch with Amazon and with a seller they back! Contact before shipping is courteous! To return an item especially overseas is too costly.

My brother ran into the same switch issue and it was Amazon who was contacted about an item they sold him.

You’re not having that experience doesn’t nullify the fact that I have.

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

These are items sold by Amazon? Or are you referring to third-party sellers on Amazo? If the latter, it's more likely that that seller simply doesn't care to create accurate listings. If you are looking for a specific edition of a cd and are buying from a Marketplace seller, I'd recommend asking in advance for the seller to confirm what they have.

Lost In The Flood and pscreed like this.
  6. btomarra

Reread my posts. They answered your questions. I try and ask in advance. Sometimes, I get the “item is in a location they can’t check it” routine if the third party seller has a business. I avoid them. What I am having to do is also buy on Discogs for music. Sellers provide scans and confirm product codes. Though grading accuracy can be an issue. Just looking for other alternatives.

7. glide

glide Forum Resident

If you are in the USA you are buying from 3rd party sellers through Amazon’s storefront.

Amazon is not the retailer in those cases. In other words; you’re doing it wrong.

Lost In The Flood and pscreed like this.
  8. btomarra

Just what am I doing wrong? I am buying from Amazon based on listings on their website after searching barcodes. Products they list and pictured are not the ones I receive without being told. Are you saying I am in the wrong not them? Sounds upside to me!

My intent was to report an issue I am having buying CDs online (heavens, no one else has ever done that here, right) but Amazon seems to be the one defended. Telling! And sadly I expected it. Moving on from this thread. I’ll have it closed perhaps

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  9. glide

glide Forum Resident

::sigh:: this is like teaching my dad to use the Internet.

No offense, but several people have pointed out what the issue is and you’re still blaming amazon.

10. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

What are you doing wrong? Assuming that some third party who is using Amazon's website to sell music is both honest and actually knows what they have to sell. As you've discovered, when you ask in advance to confirm what's on offer you very well might be told that the person replying to the email doesn't have access to the actual product and cannot verify specifically which version it is.

Bottom line is that buying music online from Amazon Marketplace sellers is a crapshoot if you are looking for a specific edition when there are multiple issues available. Sadly, I had to stop buying from an Amazon competitor -- importcds -- because they kept trying to scam me by sending me cheaper versions of titles I ordered and then claiming that I was the one who mistakenly ordered a different version than intended. Even when I had a screenshot from their website to document their fraud they wouldn't back down. So I get your frustration, but Amazon generally has excellent customer service when you buy items directly from them (apart from buying vinyl, which seems to be improperly packed for shipping a lot of the time). I wouldn't buy from a third party (Marketplace) seller on Amazon unless it was clear what was being offered (only one version available) or I could confirm in advance the UPC.

pscreed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.