Ambient Music - Your Hidden Gems

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pipi3, Jun 5, 2017.

1. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

Any love for Ulrich Schnauss?

agn, D-rock, SuntoryTime and 4 others like this.
  2. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Lucette Bourdin
    Tor Lundvall
    Thom Brennan

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  3. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Far Away Trains Passing By is essential listening, as far as I'm concerned.

agn, D-rock and OldJohnRobertson like this.
  4. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

For me, I'd also add "Goodbye" to the essential listening list. That album is amazing.

D-rock and SuntoryTime like this.
  5. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I've been listening to this a bit recently:

[​IMG]

36 - Heather Spa -- string-based pads, ebbing and flowing ... some lubberly ambient. One of the Places series of EPs on the A Strangely Isolated Place label. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp, or you can download the complete Places collection (29 EPs) for just US$1 here.

--Geoff

vapor minor, SJP and Front 242 Addict like this.
  6. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Jarre’s Waiting For Cousteau. 45 minutes of “fractal” music.

7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Long thread - I don't know if anyone has mentioned this one, electronics with Cello:

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  8. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Far Away Trains is a classic and A Strangley Isolated Place is way underrrated - a great marriage of shoegaze and early 00s ambient electronic music.

9. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Did you check out the 4th world compa that came out last year “Miracle Steps”? Think this is what you will be looking for:

Various Artists: Miracle Steps (Music From the Fourth World 1983-2017) Album Review | Pitchfork

Also if you are feeling adventurous, I would highly recommend some recently reissued 80s Japanese albums which are a marriage of ambient, jazz, ethnic music, etc. Really great stuff:

- Mariah: Utakata no Hibi
    - Yasuaki Shimizu: Kakashi

Lastly and a but different but worth checking out is the Tropical Drums of Deutschland compilation released by Music for Dreams last year. Not completely ambient but nice chill, procession based songs with many with tropical field recordings in the background.

10. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Hollan Holmes
    Ambient electronic musician, composer, painter and graphic designer based in Euless, Texas, USA.

Hollan Holmes - Aeon ( the cd The Farthest Fringes) from 2011

If you want to reach to a very far planets to visit beautiful unknown landscapes and feel an endless tranquility, then you don't need to build a spaceship , Just let yourself float over the waves of sound that will take you there :)
    in the start of the track the sounds are in low volume ,slowly they reach to higher volume and they shine,
    this type of production adds a lot to the atmosphere.

Hollan Holmes - Aeon,

Mr-Beagle and vapor minor like this.
  11. Front 242 Addict

Absolutely stunning music! :thumbsup:
    so much beauty and emotion. Gorgeous combination of the violin and viola with the electronic sounds.

12. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

Brainticket - Adventure (1980)
    Brainticket - Voyage (1982)
    Joel Vandroogenbroeck - Biomechanoid (1980)
    Edgar Froese - Aqua (1974)
    Edgar Froese - Ypsilon In Malaysian Pale (1975)
    Harold Budd - Lovely Thunder (1986)
    David Sylvian/Holger Czukay - Plight & Premonition (1988)
    David Sylvian/Holger Czukay - Flux + Mutability (1989)

and more recent releases on Erased Tapes Records:
    A Winged Victory For The Sullen - Atomos (2014)
    Ben Lukas Boysen - Gravity (2013)
    Ben Lukas Boysen - Spells (2016)

13. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

isolatedmix 79 / Autumn Of Communion -- released today on A Strangely Isolated Place, this ambient mix is by some blokes wot used to release stuff on the Fax label. Here you'll find the usual suspects: Basiniski, Tangerine Dream, Sakamoto, Sylvian, Inoue, Cluster & Eno, Budd & Guthrie, etc. Free 320K MP3 download.

--Geoff

14. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

36 - The Headphone Commute Mix -- a very deep and lubberly 60+ minute ambient mix by 36, featuring Terre Thaemlitz, Woob, etc. Free 320k MP3 (here) from Headphone Commute blog.

(There's lots of quality ambient and modern classical mixes available at Headphone Commute ... I'll be investigating there for quite a while)

--Geoff

15. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Yeah I really enjoy that blog... very cool site.

Front 242 Addict, Hedin and HiredGoon like this.
  16. Front 242 Addict

Pete Namlook and & Amir Abadi) -the project SILENCE 1992

Silence - Silence

Pete Namlook was one of the most influential figures of electronic and ambient music in the 1990s. Inspired by Oskar Sala, one of the pioneers of electronic music, Namlook focused on the untapped potential of analogue synthesizers, often developed or extended in his laboratory.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The music is Dark and mesmerizing at the same time.
    For me The music takes you to a very dark planet, you are walking on this empty planet,
    you Don't see nothing , you keep walking and you think , is it really an empty star or something will come out from the Dark ? very soon you will find out....

from 4:30 there is beautiful -hypnotic sound which enter into the music.

Silence (Pete Namlook & Dr. Atmo) - Omid / Hope

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  17. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

have you heard his(lou reed's ) hudson river wind meditations record? it is something he made for his practice of martial arts if i am not mistaken.

klockwerk and Brian Lux like this.
  18. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

No, I have not! In fact, at one point I was going to track down a copy of that and somehow forgot all about it. Thank you for the reminder! Lotta love for Lou's work!

malco49 likes this.
  19. couple from my playlist

MungoMusic likes this.
  20. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

These guys are just SO Good

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Feeling somewhat uneasy in this thread, since Ambient is such an amorphous genre. Still, these are electronic pieces some in here may enjoy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

klockwerk and xj32 like this.
  22. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Fantastic albums!!!

Vaughan likes this.
  23. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The Ambient Visitor - An Introduction To The Ambient Visitor -- a 30 track, 3 hour compilation of "peaceful generative ambient music" from The Ambient Visitor (a side project from the dude wot also releases many ambient albums as Bing Satellites). "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

zphage likes this.
  24. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The Gateless Gate - Xinjiang: On the Silk Road -- described as "a mixture of Krautrock and ambient music with influences from Central Asian music". I don't hear much Krautrock but it does sound like a cross between KLF's Chill Out, Pink Floyd's Obscured By Clouds soundtrack, and A Small Good Thing's Slim Westerns. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff