AMC theaters will no longer show Universal movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Apr 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Have you been to AMC 24 in South Barrington? A pretty poor theater experience IMO. Unless you like to play claw games in their arcade.

2. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

No, never have. River East 21 has been our primary AMC theater.

4. AKA

AKA Senior Member

In my late teens/early twenties, I worked at the newly opened AMC 20-plex in my hometown. It was a state of the art facility with anything a c. 2000 filmgoer would want in a theater.

I still go there from time to time, and it’s still the best place in town to see a movie. The facility is now 21 years old, but it shows no signs of decay. It’s regularly maintained and upgraded — with new movie technology, new concession options, and new seats.

And not for nothing, but I’ve never had a problem with audio from one theater bleeding into the other, either as a customer or an employee. In fact, I’d sometimes spend hours standing outside several theaters, and I’d only hear audio from the movies when the door was opened.

5. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I've had a ptoblem with AMC since I was kid. Twenty-thirty minutes of commercials and previews, overpriced snacks, and stale popcorn. This is in the Bay Area--the Bay Street and Metreon locations, specifically. Maybe they're better in other parts of the country.

6. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I don't think this decision is going to be good for anyone, in the long run. AMC and Regal, I agree, are shooting themselves in the feet by refusing films, but I also can't imagine that VOD will be a great way to make a profit for the studios, in the future. Trolls 2 is an insignificant kids film that stressed out parents probably bought for their kids who were clamoring to see it during quarantine.

Something more geared towards teens and adults probably won't do as well, especially after quarantine. Everyone my age, but me, seems prefectly content with pirating new movies, so I can't imagine them suddenly deciding to spend $20 bucks for the same experience. It's one thing to spend money for the whole theater experience, to watch stuff with friends, but to watch something alone, on your computer? Maybe this is a good precedent for older folks who have the money and space for a home theater system, but the younger generations don't have the money, space, or even desire for such a thing (the few of us who desire it won't have the space or miney for it for quite a while, I bet). Maybe a $5 or $10 price tag will work, but $20 is ridiculous.

brownie61 and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I doubt that AMC has problems with this regard that any if the other theaters have.

In general, it is not that difficult to control and contain sound.

Before retiring, I operated a small 20-room motel. I had a fairly massive audio system in my office and I used it for both stereo and HT.

In any of the different movie theaters I have been to, mostly sound leakage has not been a problem.

Although on occasion, there are some sounds that will bleed through. This is due to the massive audio systems that new modern theaters have installed in them.

Sound effects with massive bass are practically impossible to contain effectively.

Godzilla stomping out Tokyo is not something that ordinary soundproofing are going to prevent bleed through.

Deep and powerful bass frequencies are not going to be stopped without a very dense material, like concrete.

Even if they use Durarock concrete wallboard panels between theaters, some sound will get through at these low frequencies.

In actual practice, while this can be occasionally heard, it is not all that bothersome. It is like hearing the rumble of thunder in the distance.

The only way to completely eliminate this, would be to have poured concrete walls between adjacent theaters.

This is not economical practical and existing theaters can not be retrofitted.

brownie61 and OldSoul like this.
  8. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think that even if the 3-month window continues to exist it won't be enough to save the movie theaters because with a little patience I can now see any movie I choose to. For me, the following seems to be the case:
    • Today (if the theaters were open): See a brand new movie, paying the full ticket price.
    • In 3 months: See it at home on video as a first-released-on-video movie, paying the full price.
    • In 6-12 months: See it as a lower-cost release on video.
    • In 24 months: See it as part of a two/three movie pack.
    • In 36 months: See as part of a themed-movie pack containing 5 to 10 movies.
    • In 60 months: See as part of a low-cost movie collection containing 10 to 20 movies.
    There is also the competition from previously released movies. As an example, when physical video stores existed I could walk into a typical store, scan the shelves, and it would take me about 2 years (watching 1 to 2 movies a week) to see every movie they had stocked that I wanted to see. Now with Netflix, I have access to more movies/TV shows than I could ever watch so I have no need to go to the movie theater.

The last movie I saw at a theater was Star Wars - Episode 9 - The Rise Of Skywalker because I wanted to see it as soon as I could (so I could see if it is what I expected, and to avoid spoilers). But what I found very irritating was that I made sure that I was in my seat on time and then I had to sit through more than 30 minutes of trailers/previews/ads before I got to the movie itself. I don't mind sitting through one or two trailers (in fact I expect to and look forward to it) but that was far too many. Due to that, I doubt I will ever go to a movie theater again (the last movie I saw at a theater before ...The Rise Of Skywalker was Green Lantern).

Deuce66 and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. SandAndGlass

I have to say that I was quite fortunate that AMC renovated a theater by me in Fort Lauderdale.

The theater is behind a shopping mall and was one of the last theaters built in the area before stadium seating became popular.

After the extensive remodeling, it became one of only two AMC Dine-In theaters in the State of Florida.

Everything about it was excellent. With the A-List, it was costing me $20/mo. and there was no way that I could top that value.

In actually, probably they are not. But, unfortunately, they were caught between a rock and a hard place.

Still, I question how viable their operations would continue to be without the CV19 crisis?

I did see a lot of movies there, but really most were after retiring and that was with their A-List.

Otherwise, I only went to see a new release movie that I wanted to see in 3D and on a giant screen.

Universal might be giving up theaters, but they will be retaining almost 100% of the money that they would have had to split with the theaters.

Still, even if both AMC and Regal are both out of the picture, there still are other theaters that will show Universal movies.

You take big releases from AMC and Regal's cash flow and give it to their competition, they could be in for a world of hurt.

And, just like Regal joining AMC, other studio's could jump on the digital release bandwagon with Universal.

If that were to happen, than Regal and AMC would be royally screwed!

Right now, if either of these chains were to open back up for business tomorrow, neither of them would have any customers to speak of anyway.

The theaters were already empty before the government stepped in. Most were already closed anyway.

The theaters are going to need some big tent pole releases if they have any hope under the current situation, of getting people back in the theaters again.

Chris DeVoe and brownie61 like this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't know anything about their exclusive contracts - can you send a link?

11. Oatsdad

I think it's a mistake to assume that the success of "Trolls 2" means subsequent "first run VOD" movies will do as well.

"Trolls 2" got a boost because it was the 1st to do it. If it's commonplace, there won't be that same energy.

Also, it got a BIG boost because of the quarantines. Families were stuck at home and desperate for something new - here comes a sequel that was supposed to be on big screens, so they splurged.

I don't see people regularly shelling out $20 for a rental. I think this was an unusual situation, not something that would represent the coming norm...

12. Oatsdad

I agree that few people care what studio releases a movie, though various production companies can sell tickets based on reputation. For instance, Blumhouse has developed a good following among horror fans.

Disagree that there's no loyalty to movie theaters, as I've already mentioned that at least 2 of us in this thread favor AMC, and we're not alone.

If AMC vanishes, will I stop going to movies? Of course not, but that's a ridiculously high bar.

I'm intensely loyal to Honda for my cars and Pepsi for my cola, but if those disappeared, I wouldn't stop driving cars or drinking cola...

Chris DeVoe and brownie61 like this.
  13. Oatsdad

As I mentioned earlier, I might be lucky in that the AMCs I frequent around here are mostly pretty new and well-maintained.

The only chain I remember seeing go into disrepair was National Amusements. They ran a multiplex down the street that suffered a major loss of business when a newer multiplex from a different chain opened.

Actually, the new one was far enough away that I wouldn't have thought it would've killed the National location - we're talking a 20-25 minute drive - but I overheard the manager mention how much business had declined since the new place opened.

Anyway, I loved that old multiplex and still have many fond memories of it. I stayed loyal for a while, but the night I went there and got attacked by some kind of itching bug meant I'd never return! :help:

They shuttered maybe 6-12 months later - that spot hosts a Costco now. I hoped someone would take it over and refurbish it, but it sat dormant for years before Costco grabbed the location...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

I think they have no choice in this case. If they don't fight Uni on day/date VOD, then all the other studios will follow suit.

Movie theaters have enough struggles to survive already - regular day/date VOD would be the final nail in that coffin...

McLover, Chris DeVoe and brownie61 like this.
  15. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I know movie theatres aren't but I am OK with movies getting released on demand. It doesn't look like movie theatres are opening anytime soon so the studios have no choice to do this - at least in the US for the time being.

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I caught the tail end of an interview with the head of IMAX on CNBC this morning, he mentioned that physical distancing shouldn't be an issue for theatres claiming that the industry is profitable at 20% capacity.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's a lovers spat.

When Coronavirus panic is over and movie theaters are back and running, they kiss and make up. They need each other.

That is, IF you believe movie theater chains will come back. Which is a fair topic for discussion.

SandAndGlass and MrGrumpy like this.
  19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I stopped drinking cola... now my *burps* come from the other direction...:sigh:

But my loyalty to a local theater isn't based on a brand of theater, but a way of business. I have a preference for movie houses too, but I'd prefer any indie/foreign/arts cinema to the MallGooglePlex18-screen HollyWatch any day.

20. Oatsdad

I get that I'm loyal to AMC due to a variety of factors other than the quality of the exhibition, but at least where I live, those other areas become the most important factor.

I live in an area dominated by Regal and AMC. There are a few indies and some outposts for small chains but Regal and AMC rule the roost.

Their theaters are very similar in terms of quality of exhibition. Actually, AMC gets the nod because they offer LIEMax and Dolby Cinema, whereas my local Regals don't. One Regal has their "RPX" thing, but otherwise nothing unusual.

It's the other areas I mentioned - A-List, Coke Freestyle, loyalty rewards - that make the difference.

If I lived in an area where one chain was head/shoulders better, then that'd be different, but I don't! :shrug:

And it's still loyalty, no matter how you slice it!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I mostly agree but $20 for a rental the whole family can watch is actually pretty reasonable.

22. Oatsdad

It's cheaper than taking 4 people out to the theater, but "reasonable" is a different discussion.

When you can rent most titles for what, $3? and stream so much, $20 for a rental seems pretty steep, IMO!

You pay a premium to watch in a theater because of the experience: big screen, good sound, etc.

Watching "Trolls 2" on TV at home brings none of that... :shrug:

brownie61 likes this.
  23. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Well, that's what I am comparing it to! Since theaters might not open for a year. Sometimes you have to give the kids instant gratification. $20 is not bad imo if done once in a while.

24. SandAndGlass

I think that we are going to be seeing this sooner than later.

While you might be in a heavy urban area with hot spots of CV19 around you, the country as a whole is not.

For better or for worse, the government simply cannot keep the economic base closed down much longer without experiencing a total collapse.

Neither can the government continue to order people to stay in their homes.

In most of the country, all of this is coming to an end now.

I am currently in Tennessee. Most restaurants will be fully open tomorrow. A week later live entertainment are permitted to open.

This tells me that movie theaters will be opening up too.

With exceptions in the major metropolitan areas, I feel that most movie theaters will be permitted to be back in operation within a 30-60 day window, at most.

25. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Sorry I did mean to say "in some parts of the country movie theatres" won't open soon. I saw a news report that in Georgia bowling alleys are open but no one is really going. Movie theatres may suffer the same fate. I don't think it is at the top people's list be in a crowded space. It's not much different than a concert hall. There might have to be a happy medium of movie theatres get the first 3-4 weeks and then it goes up On Demand as well. I don't see people bringing their kids to movies especially.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.