AMC theaters will no longer show Universal movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Apr 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

IMO, there's going to be a major downsizing of movie theater chains especially in over-saturated cities. It's just simple economics that they can't weather the current situation even as long as it's been going on already, much less the likely gigantic drop in attendance once theaters nationwide fully reopen.

Studios are in the same boat - the era of $200 million+ big tentpole films with $billion+ worldwide returns is over at least for probably the next half decade as it will be much riskier for investors to make back their money. Studios have long wanted to move to a streaming only model as it offers more control and direct profits especially when they own their own streaming service like Disney. Physical entertainment media is also being hastened to it's end thanks to current events. The thing is, it's going to be tough to get the kind of huge returns studios previously enjoyed via a streaming model especially on a movie that costs hundreds of millions to produce, thus cheaper, more cost effective productions.

audiomixer and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I'm wondering is this could lead to a move to more adult (as in aimed at an adult audience) animated features just because of the cost factors. While animation isn't cheap, it could be less expensive than live action movies since there are many expenses that aren't as much of a factor (such as not needing to construct actual physical sets).

I've got a number of animated movies/TV series that it would massively more expensive to be done as a live action movie, and might be better animated. An example of this is Green Lantern - The Animated Series which is so much better than the live action movie that they should have just put the animated series on the big screen instead of that movie (the characters of Aia and Razer were much more interesting and compelling than most of the characters in the movie).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I like video stores, if they were here, I bet that I would rent a movie at least once a week.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

What does everyone think about the new rules for going to the movies in Texas that started today when some theaters reopened?

Texas Theaters Reopen After Coronavirus Shutdowns – Variety

It doesn’t sound very appealing to me. I can’t see myself doing it, both from a hassle factor point of view and from a safety point of view. I realize theaters are between a rock and a hard place, but it just sounds awful to me, not at all fun, and definitely not “an escape.”

Although apparently, it was fairly successful in San Antonio today:

Was That a Cough? Going Back to the Movies in Texas

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Amc has no right to blacklist any movie studio especially when you file bankruptcy
    and have now 6 billion in debt it's like a child ,throwing temper tantrum
    for something want but don't own.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

There isn't anything there I want to go see right now, but I might go if there was. Given the space between people, required masks, and the cleanings between showings, I don't see how it is any more dangerous than going to the gas station right now or going to a restaurant to pick up take out food. All showings being $5 is a good idea. That theater they show the pictures of in the send article is the one I go to probably 50% of the time.

I don't like crowded theaters under any circumstance, and purposely go almost exclusively to weekday matinee's just so I don't have to deal with a lot of people.

brownie61 likes this.
  7. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I’m not sure I agree with your comparisons. Time spent at a gas station or picking up takeout is about 5 minutes. Time spent in a theater is 2+ hours. That is a huge difference, although I’m sure masks will help. Lower prices are also a good idea.

Sadly, I tend to suffer from claustrophobia, and masks do not help that. They’re okay for maybe an hour at most, but at some point I start to suffer a panic attack and have to get home immediately and get it off my face. Even watching the news reporters on TV wearing masks makes me very uneasy. I realize I will have to overcome that if I intend to have any kind of life at all. What a weird time this is. I still feel like I’m living in some kind of science fiction movie.

GLENN, Dave S and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, but a theater is a mostly static environment. Once the show starts, you're sitting there. There aren't people going in and out. Does being there for two hours with no changing distance between the other people and no more people coming in and out of the environment make it more dangerous? I don't know. Maybe.

I don't really want to wear a mask for two hours either. The 30 minutes in the grocery store is enough. I'll probably not return to the theater until I'm confident I don't NEED to wear a mask the whole time. I went and looked at the seats available for a showing, and there is quite a bit of space between available seats. No less than 3 and usually 4 seats empty between available ones on the same aisle. And then there are either 1 or 2 completely empty aisles between the ones where you can buy a seat. Again, that's a lot more space than I've had when going to the grocery store or anywhere else during all this.

brownie61 likes this.
  9. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I have to be honest, reading about the hoops you have to go through to see a movie in these times. No thanks. I've seen less and less movies in movies over the years anyways, I'd rather just watch it in my home. Movie theatres are the only losers in this dog fight. Studios can easily release movies On Demand and make about the same amount of money if they price it right. Movie tickets prices are outrageous and studios get how much of that pie? Especially bringing kids to a movie theatre? What a hassle. So much easier to fire up Trolls 2 at your house. Most of us have big screen TVs and a decent sound bar. It's not a night and day difference anymore going to a movie theatre like when I was a kid.

The thrill is gone...

audiomixer likes this.
  10. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

It’s a moot point where I live anyway. Our public health emergency was extended for another 30 days today. That will make 12 weeks trapped here alone with nowhere to go. By that point I’m sure I’ll forget what it means to leave my house for entertainment and socialization, and will probably no longer care.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Risk my life for a $12 movie? No way! Oh - it's $5? Sign me up!!!" :laugh:

12. Oatsdad

There's nothing to see period. It's been what, almost 2 months since the last new release?

I don't think there's anything even planned to come out until mid-July - and chances remain strong those movies will get delayed, too...

13. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Back in 90's our theater was $1.50 and 1.75 at night ... it was dollar theater.. but it was fun at that time.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

audiomixer and Deuce66 like this.
  16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's a big gamble for sure, Tenet is not a low budget movie ($200 M) which means it needs a full worldwide release in all major centres. Will people return to the cinema this quickly?

17. SandAndGlass

Have some updates in Tennessee.

Restaurants and retail stores have been allowed to open allready.

Live shows in this area had planned to open this weekend along with other attractions.

The governor clarified that his order which expires May 29th, will allow some attractions like bowling alleys and arcades to open.

He was quite specific that live show venues and movies will remain closed until after his order has expired.

18. SandAndGlass

That is a big maybe?

I would think that a big tent pole opening should have a good 90-days from when the theaters start back on a wide scale.

Except in very few markets, I don't see theaters begining to open until the beginning of June.

And, that is only the beginning.

And that us just here in the U.S., I am very doubtful if other countries will be as anxious as us in their haste to reopen movie theaters.

On one hand, I see people just trickling back into movie theaters.

On the other hand, I think it would take a major tent pole movie like Tenant to get the ball rolling again and getting people back in the theaters.

Deuce66 likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Probably not... but given the lack of competition, "Tenet" could run much longer than normal.

This could be a return to the old days when studios didn't expect $150 million opening weekends and let movies rake in $$$ over the long term.

Even if "Tenet" opens in July, it's not gonna do big bucks. There'll be limitations on audience sizes in addition to lingering fears of virus.

So WB will have to hope it plays for an extended period.

I suspect WB will go ahead with the July release if Nolan insists, but I also suspect they're begging him to reconsider!

I assume it's WB's choice in the end... but they don't want to cheese off Nolan...

Deuce66 and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. SandAndGlass

Anyway anyone looks at it, the movie business will no longer operate as it has in the past.

Reality has set in and it will be here to stay...

audiomixer, Deuce66 and brownie61 like this.
  21. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Today Disney announced Hamilton will stream on Disney+ starting July 3.

I think this is the final nail in the movie coffin for me. There is probably no film I have been looking forward to more than Hamilton. (For sure I could never afford $800+ to see it on Broadway.)

I subscribe to Amazon Prime, and just the other day bit the bullet and traded in my Netflix DVD subscription for a streaming subscription, thinking this is the way of the future now, theaters are not coming back in any reasonable timeframe. And now Hamilton shows up on Disney+?? I’m not subscribing to a third service, especially not Disney+. I have no kids and little interest in Disney for the most part. I honestly don’t watch any of these services enough to make them worth the money. I handwave about Amazon because I originally subscribed for the shipping, which is worthwhile to me. Netflix was a more deliberate choice. And that’s where it ends.

I think I’m done. And I am (was?) a HUGE movie fan. But enough is enough. Time to find something else to do.

audiomixer and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. Oatsdad

You're throwing in the towel over a movie that's not really a movie? :wtf:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  23. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

It’s the principle of the thing.

You don’t think Hamilton would have seen a cinema release if things hadn’t changed?

Now I just feel like I’m being jerked around.

These exclusive streaming releases never show up anywhere else.

I rented Greed from Fandango the other day. Maybe Fandango is the way to go. Endless monthly subscriptions to numerous services is not going to work for me.

Strat-Mangler and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I guess it was supposed to be a movie release

Disney is bumping up the release of its recording of the hit stage musical Hamilton by over a year. Instead of the planned theatrical release set for October 15th, 2021, it’ll be out on July 3rd, 2020, as a Disney Plus exclusive.

brownie61 likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

The filmed "Hamilton" was gonna be on big screens - and it still might, at least on a limited run. It wasn't supposed to come out until 2021 anyway.

My point is that this "Hamilton" isn't a movie - it's a filmed version of the stage show, the kind of thing that normally would end up on streaming or cable or DVD anyway.

I'm betting you'll have a way to see it eventually without having to subscribe to Disney+...

carrick doone and brownie61 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.