American counterparts of British bands

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hombre, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

Dave Edmunds - Robert Gordon

Nick Lowe - John Hiatt

danielbravo likes this.
  2. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Yeah, I know.
    Stupid.

3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I was thinking Bert and Doc Watson, but maybe because that's because I'm not familiar with Tim O'Brien.

4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I’d buy that as well.

Ralph McTell - John Prine

(Martin Simpson also tempts me here...)

5. Moshe

I wasn't insulting you.
    I meant the comparison is stupidity.

I just re-read your post.

Not you.
    The comparison.

6. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Genial !

ARK and Hombre like this.
  7. Moshe

Sorry, I think there was a misunderstanding.
    Both parties.
    I wasn't insulting you.

8. vince rocker

vince rocker Well-Known Member

Ian Matthews - Gram Parsons
    Both with golden voices, started in a band (Fairport / Byrds) then their own bands (Southern Comfort and Plainsong, with Andy Roberts as Matthews' Chris Hillman / FBB) then solo. Of course, it all goes wrong then as Ian is happily still with us. You could also do Matthews - Gene Clark.

9. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Fairport Convention - Flying Burrito Brothers

notesfrom likes this.
  10. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Forum Resident

Lol!

Slash-n-burn and carlwm like this.
  11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

More like this:

Free -Lynyrd Skynyrd

notesfrom, JoeF. and Slim Zooms like this.
  12. NJ Englishman

NJ Englishman Forum Resident

I would never have thought of this, but it’s a great call. I would also add the use of vocal harmonies to further support your already strong case.

carlwm and MilesTrane like this.
  13. NJ Englishman

:hide::hide::hide:
    Agreed. I would say that Triumph are the Canadian equivalent of Rush...

ARK likes this.
  14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Both Rush and Triumph are Canadian.

15. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I was just going to post Dave Clark 5 and Paul Revere and the Raiders, the first one that came to my mind. i also agree with the Doors-Animals, I've posted that before.

16. unclefred

That's pretty good, I've always thought Humble pie-Black Crows.

John Fell likes this.
  17. unclefred

I love this one. If Johnny hadn't been around I'd say SRV, but having seen them all, Johnny is a better comparison of an American Rory.

Another Steve and John Fell like this.
  18. NJ Englishman

I know...

19. Slash-n-burn

Slash-n-burn Forum Resident

People have been saying that The Smiths formed Britain's complement to R.E.M, whereas for me, Scotland's great rock pair the Proclaimers have been the true heirs to this title, and I will detail why!

The punk roots of both R.E.M and the Proclaimers are well-documented! R.E.M's seeds were sewn when Michael Stipe bought all of the punk-rock records which Peter Buck at his record store was saving for himself! Of course, Craig and Charles Reid first flexed their musical muscle in punk bands in Kirkcaldy in 1977! One might compare R.E.M's wish to merge punk's melodies and agility with the guitar-sound of the Byrds, with the Proclaimers' burning desire to blend punk rawness and spirit with the 50s and 60s sounds of Jerry Lee Lewis, Bob Dylan and George Jones.

Both were sophisticated political songwriters, as R.E.M spent the 80s giving McCarthyist elites and the then-Reaganite establishment, while the Proclaimers came straight out of the starting gate in 1987, with their crippling musical blows to the Thatcherite regime of the day, and remain a thorn in the side of conservative extremists in the 21st century!
    "Sharpening stones, walking on coals, to improve your business acumen..." - R.E.M, "Exhuming McCarthy", 1987
    "Getting handouts can be so frustrating, get in line son there's 5 million waiting..." - Proclaimers, "Cap in Hand", 1988

Of course, these bands emerged in stark contrast to the rock-and-roll elite on their home countries. R.E.M erupted with their stripped-back aesthetics into a mainstream dominated by the excesses of glam-metal, while the Proclaimers purveyed punk-informed acoustic music while wearing sweaters and jeans, in defiance the glamour and glitz of 80s British electronic pop music.

Native accents formed a significant element among both accent. The Proclaimers sang in their native Scots tongues, while the cryptic "southern gothic" of Michael Stipe defined the music of R.E.M. It goes without saying that Stipe, who my own father believed was Scottish (!!), has been compared in his vocal stylings to that of Celtic folk singers, too!

Two outstanding, and intelligent, artists regardless! :love:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  20. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

10cc = Cheap Trick

rockerreds likes this.
  21. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Def Leppard = Bon Jovi

22. Slash-n-burn

Slash-n-burn Forum Resident

He may be Canadaian, but he has US Citizenship too -- Neil Young and Lindisfarne's Alan Hull form their respective country's complement to one another.

Here are two sophisticated and poetic songwriters, who've crafted their own highly individual and thoroughly engaging blends of acoustic-driven folk, and rock. Young's music purveyed an image of the pastoral alienation of living in the rural interior of North America, which compares very nicely to the working-class Northern atmosphere that defined the music of Lindisfarne. Both Hull and Young are singers who can brilliantly purvey both a haunting excellence, and a peculiar solace in their singing. It could be roundly agreed that Lindisfarne and Neil Young had equal shares in creating some of the most melodic music of the 1970s.

Of course, brilliant artists regardless!

carlwm likes this.
  23. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Darrell is an amazing & underrated player, whereas everyone knows about RT. I’ve been fortunate enough to see Darrell four times with Tim O'Brien. They are the most fantastic folk/roots/bluegrass duo I’ve ever seen. Recommended .:righton:.

lucan_g likes this.
  24. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Wishbone Ash = Allman Bros

25. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

XTC - dBs