American Idol 2008 discussion - ***possible spoilers***

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Ladies, gentlemen start your engines. Tonight, January 15, 2008 is the 2 hour season premiere of American Idol 2008 edition.

Over the past couple of years some stray threads started on specific topics such as the young woman who's photos ended up on the www. and stuff like. Let's please try and keep all Idol discussions this season to the one thread. :)

Isnt' being an American Idol finalist all young vocalists dreams? Look where it got this guy. :laugh:

Attached Files:

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i am still stunned by the amazing popularity of this show.

it just exemplifies how far the record companies have fallen in terms of promoting new artists and their music.

renny

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Nice clean entertainment with some talent and some laughts. What's not to like?BTW, its not my kind of music per say and have not bought a cd of anything on AI FWIW.

4. phish

phish Jack Your Body

thanks for the reminder.

5. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

That Clay Aiken picture......it's a joke, right?

RIGHT?!?!?!?!

6. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

AI is one of the funniest shows on TV -- sometimes intentionally, sometimes not.

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It's a TV show first and foremost. The music is really secondary.

8. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Nope, here is another advertisement.

Attached Files:

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

While I hate they're picking our next pop stars on game shows I thoroughly enjoy the tryout episodes. I laugh so hard at these people willingly making morons out of themselves on the most popular show on TV.

I'm just waiting for the day when they combine American Idol and one of those dance competition shows. You think the music is bad now just wait!

10. shokhead

While I hate they're picking our next pop stars

You dont pick your pop stars?

11. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

:agree: I love it and I can watch it with my kids. We get a huge kick out of it. Glad it's back!

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Not on a game show. :)

13. phish

phish Jack Your Body

it's really more like a tryout with a camera. i mean, the winner gets a recording contract, right? (i'd guess most of the final runners up do pretty well as well)

it's no more a game to me than the "real world" siginings of bands or acts (*insert lame rich performer of your choice here*)

crazytown

"come my lady. come come my lady...."

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my wife loves this show. This year I will not be watching it with her. I just can't enjoy the redundant styles of singing, the comments, insults to certain contestants...etc.

It is amazing how one can become a star with absolutely NO experience in the field...

15. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That's one of the problems I have with it too. How can you become a star with so little prior stage or studio experience?

Nothing about the show lends itself to "artist's" legitimacy. It will always turn out disposable artists.

16. phish

phish Jack Your Body

because we all know that EVERYONE pays hard dues that becomes famous in the biz, except for the AI contestants.

nobody is given a free ticket or a pass just because of their last name.....

my expectations from AI are not legitimacy, rather to be entertained.

17. shokhead

18. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

There's no such thing as an overnight success. AI is an exception.

Nepotism does happen (see Ethan Johns...) but that doesn't mean we shouldn't complain about it.

19. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i agree with you bro.

i find AI to be entertaining and it's something me and the missus will both watch. that's probably more important than the actual show itself. it's one of the few things we both enjoy commonly.

20. Michael

disposable yes...Isn't America amazing? One can achieve anything if in the right place at the right time with just a good looking face, body, mediocre voice, etc...

Talent has nothing to do with anything.

21. Michael

I can relate to that. Luckily the wife and I have about 4 shows we faithfully watch together every week...and we squeeze in a host of DVD's.:D
    A most peaceful time together...

Boston Legal
    Desperate Housewives
    Lost
    Prison Break

22. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

To be fair, remember that AMERICAN IDOL started out as POP IDOL in England.

That WAS the first version, correct? There are so many different version now that I get confused.

23. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i really do loathe television, so my tv watching is few and far between. not to mention the fact that our nearly three year old runs our house, or at least our television.

24. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

That photo is the real deal. Here is a story from MSNBC dated, Oct. 16, 2007.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21324792/

NEW YORK - From “American Idol” to Eric Idle’s “Spamalot.”

Clay Aiken will join the Broadway cast of “Monty Python’s Spamalot” on Jan. 18, playing one of the leads, Sir Robin, in the Tony Award-winning musical directed by Mike Nichols.

“I really couldn’t have asked for a more wonderful group of people to work with,” said Aiken, who became a recording and concert star after his appearances on the TV series “American Idol.”

Let’s not lie, the chance to work with legendary creative minds like Mike Nichols and Eric Idle is, on its own, a reason to jump at this opportunity.”

Aiken will appear in the show, which is based on the film “Monty Python and the Holy Grail,” through May 4, 2008. The musical’s book is by Idle, an original member of the Python gang, and its score is by Idle and John DuPrez.

“Clay Aiken is amazing beyond that glorious voice,” Nichols said. “Turns out he is an excellent comic actor and a master of character.”

IIRC, I heard a story a while back that said due to the writer's strike Idol might have a few more episodes this season. Let's hope they don't stretch the auditions too much. Those shows can be a bit fatiquing to watch.

25. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I always go along for the ride each season when it comes to AI. I don't expect anything but some laughs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.