American Idol 2008 discussion - ***possible spoilers***

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep

Carrie looked smoking! Those legs looked to die for! I never watched the season she won so I had no clue who she is.

2. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

She was really polished last night, IMO. I hadn't really heard her sing since she was on AI, but I have a new found respect for her talent. (Didn't really get a chance to look at her :cry: ).

3. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

It's clear shes's had a lot of help in the "stage presence" dept. because when she was a contestant she just stood there, like a "stookie"
    Simon used to comment on her lack of movement but that seems to have been remedied. :)

4. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Just thinking... maybe they were the second best thing to Carrie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpNtHNKx0D8

Hooo ha!

5. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Definitely good coaching but it didn't take long for her to learn. I'm not a fan of the music but the stage presense seemed to have developed within a year of her win. It's so interesting to watch a star being made.

6. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Underwood is a banofied SUPERSTAR now, and has been for quite some time.

I knew when she was on Idol they get her a stylist, a choreographer and a personal trainer... and low-and-behold he's now perfect in all aspects. She's 100% amazing. I only wish she sang more songs like Heart's - Alone. Serious eye-candy, too!

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Yep, Carrie has really sky rocketed past previous winner Kelly Clarkson (who btw needs a trainer and make-over).

8. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Carrie Underwood has transcended American Idol to become a country superstar. And oh my gawd, she is smokin' hot in a wholesome girl-next-door way. :love:

9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Do you mean bona fide, or something else?

10. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Yeah, too bad her music is absolutely awful, her voice is generic, and she has no real emotion or expression in her voice.

Johns, yes. Smithson does everything wrong that every female mainstream singer with a big voice has done wrong in the last 10-15 years, except she lacks much of the pure ability required to make most of what she is trying to do work.

Cook is good with one thing: expression. It's clear that he has, at best, a limited style and range, but he knows exactly how to use it to the point where it doesn't become an issue for him.

Archuleta's singing is emotionless and flat pandering for people who still hold on to the belief that all it takes is singing the right notes at the right pitch in order to be a good singer. These things, while part of it, are minor. The important thing is knowing how to use the skills you have in order to best convey what you're saying with the song.

This is why Rob Halford is a better singer than pretty much everybody on the planet.

11. Vinyl-Addict

Not to put country music down but the vocal requirements are usually less demanding, story telling is the basic foundation of a country song. While I don't listen to country music I don't hate it, just not my cup of tea. I think Carrie Underwood is a tweener, country/pop.

12. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

She's clearly going for that "big voice" country style, and she's completely nondescript in that category.

13. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Chikezie :thumbsup: Best singer this year IMO.

14. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

:biglaugh: :laughup:

15. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

I don't think (or type) properly when discussing Underwood. She really is a sight to beholxnfhgktlk. See, it did it again. :D

16. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

This is why Rob Halford is a better singer than pretty much everybody on the planet.[/QUOTE]
    :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

17. SuiteMadameBlue

SuiteMadameBlue Rockin' The Paradise

Bummer, I didn't even notice Carrie's legs, I was checking out other parts of her :rolleyes:

Actually I was trying to get my heart-rate back down after seeing Michael Johns perform, now he's a HOT !!!!! :agree:

And........... he's not too much younger than me either :D

All in all, I enjoyed watching this whole season of AI :)

18. JohnG

All we needed last night was a little McPheever!!

19. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

She and Underwood appear to have the same personal trainer! Dr. IQUITEATINGANDWORKOUT3HOURSPERDAY :D Well done, ladies!

20. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Well, we simply have different opinions as to who is singing well and who is not, not to mention what it means to "sing well." I still say Cook lacks almost everything I'd want to hear in a singer. I know it isn't that he simply sings in a style that I typically don't like because there are people who sing "hard rock" songs where I can recognize that they are singing well, even though I'm not enjoying it. Cook, on the other hand, verges on the tuneless. Some people I like don't have pretty voices, either, but I'd much rather hear Patti Smith, for example, whose passion is obvious in her performances than someone like Cook who does paint-by-the-numbers performances.

I'm not saying that Archuleta was much better. He also had difficulty consistently hitting the right notes, despite him supposedly having a "nice voice." He has a nice voice for a karaoke bar type of setting and very well may be able to cut a record that hides his weaknesses, but the live performances that Idol requires really revealed his weaknesses.

I know that consistently hitting the right notes isn't an easy thing. I'm not saying I can sing as well as either Cook or Archuleta. There are also a lot of successful recording artists with voices as weak as the two of these Idol finalists, so they both may well have success despite their limitations. All I'm saying is that I was seriously underwhelmed by this year's pool of contestants, particularly the two who ended up in the finale. There are already a lot of people who have made or are still making records who have far more talent than either of these guys and I'd rather listen to that music instead of buying into the hype that AI actually found some undiscovered talent this season.

21. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Actually, I thought much more so before all the make-over people have gotten hold of her the past couple years. Still, even through all the overdone layers of facade, the natural attributes show through.

(Same way Amanda Kimmel on Survivor looked WAY hotter being totally natural in the jungle, than she does all made-up afterward!)

:love:

22. Vinyl-Addict

I think a lot of people agree with you on that but A.I. was never about finding untapped talent. It's a show developed to bring in money for the network and it just happens to be about finding talent, whether they actually find a talented singer is of no consequence to them. I seriously doubt they sit in a room worrying about finding the best talent. If they did they wouldn't allow the public to vote. Look at last year and Sanjaya-mania. They still got huge ratings despite the terrible singing by Sanjaya. All they care about is ratings so the sooner we forget about them finding talent the better.

23. JohnG

Sanjaya, wasn't he parking cars at the Nokia last night? :D

24. JohnG

25. Vinyl-Addict

:laugh: Actually as bad as he sings, he's actually going to be releasing a CD. Somebody thinks they can make money off him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.