American Idol 2008 discussion - ***possible spoilers***

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

that was hilarious, and he was in the crowd and loved the joke as well. I always liked that kids vibe...no talent, but a great attitude he had.

2. fergojisan

fergojisan Atari 2600 Gadabout

I really enjoyed Randy's tribute to Captain Kangaroo in the finale.

3. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

And his siter is hot... that's a plus!

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

yeah, that video of his sister jumping up and down is burned into my brain.

5. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I try and think relative when I talk about the idol winners and contestants. Its fun. But seriously think that any of them have much to contribute in light something that will mean anything or is something tremendously special in the future? No, I really dont.Its fun- thats about it.

When I watch this show I cant imagine buying anything any of them would have to offer. In comparison to each other the winners and top few are great. But great in the sense of something that is artistic or unique? Come on.No, I think they are great in comparison to each other.

I think people look at Carrie and like her because they think wow- she is just one of us a normal girl. Also, they relate because they got close to her in some fashion through the show. She is kind of like family in some strange little way. But if she just suddenly popped up out of no where and ended up on CMT do you think anyone would really think much? Nah.

Heck, I saw Bucky on TV the other day and actually watched the video. Why? Because I was glad to see ol' bucky make it.Was it good? It was ok honestly. But who buys this stuff? Not me.

Whether it be Carrie or Cook. These guys are simply an industry pawn that will make what the industry now thinks and has basically trained many to think is superstar talent. I mean seriously, these guys are what they are. But real stardom and talent in light of what that really is- an Aretha or Emmie Lou or Johnny Cash? No. They are what they are.Cookie cutter. Imean what exactly have these guys seen in life or went through with a band or relationships that they are putting into art or creativity? No, they are handed songs and they sing them in the same way I am sure 100's of others that are average singers that never tried out for the show and got lucky enough to win. Personally, I really think we've lost site or been fooled if we think this is what music and artistic creativity is about.

Am I knocking them? Nope. Good for them!! I would take it if they offered it to me and sing the songs they wanted me to for the first album and take the money and run! lol. But would I think I am something special or a superstar? No, I dont think so.

The show is what it is. A fun time to sit back and watch real people get a chance to show off what they have. And a way for the industry to make a buck off of it.

Ill watch next year. But I felt like I needed to say that because I get the feeling that this is being put at some level that it really shouldnt be.

All of this is my opinion. Thanks for letting me run my mouth.

6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

[QUOTE=johnny33When I watch this show I cant imagine buying anything any of them would have to offer. In comparison to each other the winners and top few are great. But great in the sense of something that is artistic or unique? Come on.No, I think they are great in comparison to each other

Not many in the industry i'm thinking was artistic or unique right out of the starting gate and that's what we have. They are just getting a foot hold. Now we can see what they have to offer and if they develope.
    Of course this is all about money.

7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

That's not really true. Cowell and Simon Fuller have both said that when they started these shows, their intention was to find a novel way to launch new singers, more than to have a hit TV show. The enormous success of the TV show in its own right has been somewhat unexpected. Now, of course, they know which side their bread is really buttered on. But they are still interested in finding new singers, even if their whole outlook is about short term success.

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree. His performance/singing was amazing! I've never been a fan either, but now I have a newfound respect for him.

9. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Well that would be true if they owned the TV network and were solely responsible for funding it. I seriously doubt the suits at Fox were thinking how nice it would be to find untapped talent if they were going to lose money on it. I believe a couple of the other networks passed on it before Fox signed up for it, and this was after Pop Idol in the UK was a huge success so I think Simon Fuller's selling point to Fox was primarily based on the money brought in by Pop Idol and had little or nothing to do with finding talent.

10. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, you're focusing on Fox. I was talking about Simon Cowell and 19 Entertainment, the creators of the show. Obviously they didn't want the show to fail, or lose money. But Cowell and Fuller come from the music business -- the tackiest, most commercial side of the music business, sure, but the music business nonetheless. Finding singers was the starting point of the whole endeavour. If they just wanted to do a hit reality show they could have done any number of other things -- why choose music, which generally doesn't attract much of an audience on TV? You're assuming that because they don't produce the kind of music you like that they don't care about the music element of it...

12. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

In 30 min., 9pm EDT.

From cnn.com.

America voted and David Cook is the newest American Idol! A rockstar who's more heartland than Hollywood, David Cook takes your calls along with the other nine finalists! It's a Larry King Live exclusive! Part one of a two-part special!

PLUS - Don't miss a special second hour with your Idol Favorites on Monday, May 26

13. Chris R

Anybody watching this? How many times is Larry King going to call David Archuleta, Archie?

Usual dumb questions.

"Jason, what do you think of Brooke?"

"Archie, what do you think of Carly?"

Then they go to commercial break and Larry's mentioning who's coming up next, and completely mispronounces Chikezie Eze's first name. Sheesh.

14. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I hadn't watched Larry King in a long, long time but decided to watch this. Now I remember why I never watch Larry King.

15. I thought his performance was great.

16. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Actually I thought the playing field, for once , was level on the Larry King show lol

17. shokhead

Listening to Cook i'm thinking he isn't stupit and no matter what happens he will make the most of this.

18. Chris R

Looks as if he's already cashing in.

From MyTELUS.com

'Idol' winner David Cook reaps 940,000 downloads in one week

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS - NEW YORK

David Cook's "American Idol" win is already paying dividends on the music charts.

The 25-year-old singer raked in 942,000 digital downloads in just a week, according to figures released Thursday by Nielsen SoundScan. The numbers are from the week ending Sunday. Runner- up on the Fox show, David Archuleta, amassed 323,000 downloads in the same period. The next closest "Idol" contender was Jason Castro, with 64,000 downloads.

Cook, from Blue Springs, Mo., last week defeated the 17-year-old Archuleta of Murray, Utah, by a margin of 12 million votes out of the record 97.5 million cast by viewers.

He wasn't the only one whose downloads jumped markedly. George Michael, Carrie Underwood and ZZ Top all saw huge increases in downloads after making guest appearances on the show.

Cook plans to release an album this fall.

Good exposure for George Michael, Underwood and ZZ Top on the finale show.

19. shokhead

June 6) -- The whole dad-as-manager thing for David Archuleta has hit yet another speed bump in the road to fame for the 'American Idol' runner-up.

A charity concert exclusively featuring Archuleta planned for June 7 had to be shut down after 'Idol' producers, who weren't consulted about the show, felt the solo benefit concert would eat into sales for their impending Idols Live tour. Archuleta's father, Jeff, planned the entire show without consulting with 'Idol' -- a no-no, as 'Idol' and 19 Entertainment management company pull all of the strings for past contestants.

20. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Perhaps David Cook and ZZ Top should get together again for some more songs on the next Cook and/or ZZ Top album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.